Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ohio Moms Ohio Moms

what would you do?? If your child stole?

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 2:59 PM
Ivy
  • 8 Replies

i was cleaning my boys room yesterday one is 7 and the other is 1.5. While we were cleaning i found a lot of gum that he isn't allowed to have because he has caps on his teeth and a toy cell phone. Me nor his father bought any of those things i asked him where he got them and after lieing about 5 different times he told me that he took them from the store but he never had a reson to why he took them. I sent him to my husbands grandmothers for the night(last night) so i could calm down and figure out what to do. Well i still don't know what to do and i'm more confused then ever i would like to give him a nice good ass whooping like i would have got but i dont know how good that would do either. What would you do if you were in my situation?

by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 2:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
BlessedToBeMe
by Lindsay on Dec. 30, 2012 at 3:53 PM

If it was me he'd be grounded, I'd have him write an apology note to the store & if he got any money for Christmas I'd take it to "pay" for the stuff he stole or maybe do chores around the house to work it off

ivylynn0711
by Ivy on Dec. 30, 2012 at 6:19 PM

the money that he was saving we took it from him and i just finished taking things out of his room he is going to lose a lot of his privileges. thank you very much for your advice

Mommy2justone
by Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 6:41 PM
Take him to the store or to talk to a police officer.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momx7
by Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 7:47 PM
When my SD was 6, she took a watch from the store where I took her to get her ears pierced. She tried to tell her dad I bought it for her. I took her back to the store and asked the manager to talk to her. I made her tell the manager what she did. Then we made her write 100 times I will not steal. Then I ripped her ass for lying. To my knowledge she has never stole again. I think I have taken her into a store maybe 3 times since then too (she's 13 now). Very hard to rebuild trust ( may be easier with your own though).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ivylynn0711
by Ivy on Dec. 30, 2012 at 7:51 PM

thank you very much i will definately see if the manager will speak with him and let him know how much trouble he could have and still can get into. Since he is mine i have no choice but to keep taking him into stores with me but i told him when we go in he is to hold his hands together and if someone asks why he can tell them. i hope this works  how was you able to go to the store and not have to take her for like 7 years?

Quoting momx7:

When my SD was 6, she took a watch from the store where I took her to get her ears pierced. She tried to tell her dad I bought it for her. I took her back to the store and asked the manager to talk to her. I made her tell the manager what she did. Then we made her write 100 times I will not steal. Then I ripped her ass for lying. To my knowledge she has never stole again. I think I have taken her into a store maybe 3 times since then too (she's 13 now). Very hard to rebuild trust ( may be easier with your own though).

momx7
by Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 8:20 PM
Up until 3 years ago, she lived with her mom and we had her on weekends (they moved in with us 3. 1/2 years ago when DH got custody). I just made DH keep her if I had to go while they were here. When I did take her I just told her that if she even LOOKED like she was goin to touch something she was grounded! Lol
I think at that age, it's more out of curiosity to see of they can do it and get away with it. They know they aren't supposed to do it but their little minds like to see just how far they can go. Good luck! Let's hope it's just a one time thing and he learns his lesson :)

Quoting ivylynn0711:

thank you very much i will definately see if the manager will speak with him and let him know how much trouble he could have and still can get into. Since he is mine i have no choice but to keep taking him into stores with me but i told him when we go in he is to hold his hands together and if someone asks why he can tell them. i hope this works  how was you able to go to the store and not have to take her for like 7 years?

Quoting momx7:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ba13ygrl1987
by Bronze Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 12:40 AM
I stole gum when I was 6. I wanted gum lol. There was no other reasoning. My mom made me take the remaining pack back to the store and apologize to the manager. I was mortified. And then I was grounded. I never did it to be disrespectful, or break the law, or to be "bad". I was 6. I wanted gum, mom said no, so I took it and hid it from her, not the store. I was never trying to steal, i was trying to sneak gum behind my moms back. I knew stealing was wrong but in my 6 year old mind stealing was what bad guys did. I wasn't a bad guy. If anything "bad" happened it was going to be mom found out I snuck gum behind her back. So I'd dole out whatever punishment you deem appropriate and move on. If there are repeat offenses then I would become concerned and harsher. But honestly I think lots of young children steal just because they're young and simple minded. Doesn't make it right, but it's not the same as a 10 or 15 year old.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ivylynn0711
by Ivy on Dec. 31, 2012 at 12:50 AM

i see what your saying but he can have whatever he asks for he knows he cant have gum because of the caps on his teeth and taking it from me would have been one thing but he took several packs from the store and i didnt know this untill i wnet through his room he had also taken a toy cell phone from wal mart on christmas eve that we didnt find out about untill yesterday either

Quoting ba13ygrl1987:

I stole gum when I was 6. I wanted gum lol. There was no other reasoning. My mom made me take the remaining pack back to the store and apologize to the manager. I was mortified. And then I was grounded. I never did it to be disrespectful, or break the law, or to be "bad". I was 6. I wanted gum, mom said no, so I took it and hid it from her, not the store. I was never trying to steal, i was trying to sneak gum behind my moms back. I knew stealing was wrong but in my 6 year old mind stealing was what bad guys did. I wasn't a bad guy. If anything "bad" happened it was going to be mom found out I snuck gum behind her back. So I'd dole out whatever punishment you deem appropriate and move on. If there are repeat offenses then I would become concerned and harsher. But honestly I think lots of young children steal just because they're young and simple minded. Doesn't make it right, but it's not the same as a 10 or 15 year old.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)