Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would You Leave Your Baby Alone in a Hospital Room?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:46 PM
  • 9 Replies

Hospital Worker Tapes Pacifier to 4-Month-Old's Mouth

Posted by Jeanne Sager

pacifierWe've all had those wicked little thoughts of things we'd love to do to our kids but never really would. You know: donating the wild toddler to the zoo, taping that pacifier to the baby's mouth so they will stop throwing it! Well, you'd hope no one would do that, but it seems someone thought it was a good idea to tape a binky to a baby.

Where it happened is almost as disturbing as what went down. The 4-month-old was -- get this -- at a hospital!

Before I go any further, if you're anything like me, I know your heart is in your mouth because you're worried about the baby. Good news. He's fine! He suffered no ill effects from having a pacifier stuck to his face.

That's no thanks, of course, to the imbecile who did this to him at the Mid Staffordshire Foundation Trust in the UK. It's considered such a serious offense that the cops have been called in to investigate. Which leads me to wonder how they ended up in the medical field in the first place?

Ask any mom, and she'll tell you she won't leave her baby with just "anyone." You don't hand your baby to grocery store clerk or the waitress so you can make a run to the bathroom. But most of us will leave our kids alone in a hospital room for a short bit of time (enough to grab a cup of coffee or a quick shower) without thinking twice.

Of all the people we would expect our babies to be safe with it, it's medical professionals, the people who aren't just trained in proper care of kids but also tend to have heard a "calling" to help people.

But then stories like this pop up, and we're right back to trusting no one with our kids. Because it's one thing for someone to think jokingly that it would be so much easier to do something like tape a baby's pacifier in place. It's another thing entirely to actually do it.

Would you leave your baby alone in a hospital room?

Does this story make you more or less likely?

by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
johnny4ever
by Tracy on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Wow.....No I wouldn't.

JoeyJrsMomma
by Carrie on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:40 AM

When my youngest was 10 days old, he got a fever over 102 degrees. I had to take him to the ER. They called his pedi, who requested he be transferred to the children's hospital. I was in the room when he got a catheter and for the first time they tried to get an IV in his tiny little arm. I left him in the room with my DH for the 2nd IV poke bc I couldn't take it any more. Then when they had to do the spinal tap, we both let the room. Partially bc we just couldn't watch and listen to him scream and partially bc you have to be in full surgical gear to stay in there and he already had some sort of an infection and didn't need extra people in there with extra germs. So we stood outside in the hallway crying. The rest of the night I sat by his side watching him fighting for his life with a fever over 104 and I have never left his side since. But in that moment, I just couldn't do it any more. I couldn't stand to hear the screams or watch them poke him with needles. I just couldn't do it. So while I say I would never want to leave my child alone with a stranger, there was a moment that I had to. To keep my sanity and to keep from completely breaking down in that room.

TattoomamaPink
by Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:03 PM

No I would not!!!!

mem82
by Representative on Jan. 27, 2013 at 4:14 PM

I wouldn't leave a baby alone in a hospital room, but I've left them with nurses to take showers and such.

princessamber
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:36 AM
I didn't have a choice. I can say that when my baby was 6 weeks old and hospitalized I did leave her to go see my other 4 kids and get clothes once she was transfered to picu. I also had to leave her to get food from the cafeteria. But in all honesty I can tell you I wouldn't leave her with a nurse I felt uncomfortable with... I would starve until I got a nurse that actually seemed to care.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyfrey83
by Tianna on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:54 AM

Well my first baby was born 9 weeks early so yes, I did leave her alone in the hospital. I feel I would probably leave for a quick run to get a snack or something now that they are older but I can't say for sure. This story is disturbing for sure but I have had a lot of time to get to know the hospitals in my area and I would still feel safe leaving my kids for a bit. 

DirtyHippyMama
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:02 PM

Nope I wouldn't! 

DirtyHippyMama
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:02 PM

Don't trust people like that! 

bchic24
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:08 PM
At one point I had to leave my son in the room by himself because I was there alone and i started my period again after over a year of not having it, so I wasn't prepared. I HAD to go and find tampons! But luckily we'd been there for a month already and I'd become really familiar with the staff. I lived there so I met everyone! Lol

In any other case I would never ever leave him alone!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)