Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ohio Moms Ohio Moms

Do You Think This Ohio DJ Should Have Been Suspended?

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:23 AM
  • 4 Replies

Woman With Down Syndrome Mocked by DJ on Air After She Mistakenly Dials Radio Station

on airKellie Baker, a 30-year-old woman with Down's syndrome, was trying to call her friend, Kelly Ann Burkhart, but dialed "The Mo Show," a program on a Canton, Ohio radio station, Q92, by mistake. The phone call took an odd and unsettling turn when "DJ Mo" started making fun of the way Kellie spoke.

"Eh, Uh ... I don’t want to come across -- obviously you have some sort of a speech impediment," Mo told Kellie. To which she replied, "Uh … no, this my voice." Realizing what was going on, Kellie tried to get off the phone, but Mo stopped her. And then things got much, much worse.

Here's a snippet of their conversation:

DJ Mo: Hey, I can’t -- I, I, I -- listen -- I can’t understand you. Again I can’t be the first person to have told you that it’s tough to understand you.

Kellie: All right, never mind.

DJ Mo: All right?

Kellie: I’ll see ya later ok, bye.

DJ Mo: K -- say it real slowly.

Kellie: Never mind, never mind.

DJ Mo: No, say it real slowly. I want to try to figure this out. It’s a little game.

Wow.

According to Kellie's sister, Kara Ball, after she hung up, she frantically called her mother crying. "She told my mom, 'I’m a 30-year-old woman, I have feelings too, and I hurt, too," Ball said. "Why would he make fun of me?'"

After the incident, DJ Mo was suspended -- still is. At first, Kellie's family was completely outraged and wanted him fired, but after several family conversations, they decided that they just want a face-to-face apology from him; and they want to use this opportunity to spread awareness on how to treat people with disabilities. DJ Mo has issued an apology to Kellie and says that he thought the phone call was a prank.

Be that as it may, radio stations typically pre-screen calls before putting them straight to air. You don't just dial up a radio station and quickly get connected to the DJ of your choice. I'm not quite sure how this phone call made it to air -- or why it went on so long. And this doesn't even sound like a prank phone call; it sounds like Baker dialed the wrong number and was looking for a girl named Kelly.

I hope that Kellie and her family get what they're looking for out of this terrible situation. If it were me, I'm not sure I'd be so forgiving. Everyone always seems really sorry when their jobs are in jeopardy.

What do you think of this?

by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
johnny4ever
Happy 11th Birthday Daniel!!!
Yesterday at 7:30 AM
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Disgusting!

WassupBrah
by New Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 1:06 AM

This DJ Mo's apology is as fake as they come.  He is only sorry this got so much attention and the station lost advertising revenue.  Mo has done this several times before, during his illustrious "career."

He thinks violence against women is funny.  His comments were so extreme over 100 people staged a ptotest outside the station, forcing the station to issue an apology.
http://newsok.com/on-air-comments-prompt-apology/article/2903705

Six months later, he was fired, for extreme sexual content.  He also got his boss fired.
http://www.djmoves.com/2005/12/say-it-aint-so-mo.html 

His boss (The General Manager) where he works now, at Q92, is no better.  His radio station made national headlines in 2006 for mocking the disabled.
http://ohiomediawatch.wordpress.com/2006/08/31/q92-digging-out-of-hole-over-controversial-bit/

Both of them should never be allowed near a radio station again. 

DirtyHippyMama
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 2:25 PM

I only heard of this guy a few weeks ago and my first impression was not stellar. He was saying that basically Breastfeeding in public is comparable to urinating in public. He was so rude. 

DirtyHippyMama
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 2:26 PM

And yes he should lose his job over this. I don't care if he claims not to know she was DS. He was just rude. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)