Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Thinking of babysitting during summer break. How much do you pay for child care?

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:32 PM
  • 11 Replies

If you don't mind me asking. lol

by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MJP76
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:30 PM

I don't and wouldn't. However, my BFF is in child care and she charges different rates for different children (because of age, or because of special needs, or because of time spent IE whole day, half day, howmany days a week) she watches 4 children at the moment, including her own, and one of them is a SN child. I think she charges about 200 a week for the special needs child (full time) and 150 a week for the regular children) obviously that would be cut in half for PT.. If you are supplying meals that also goes into your cost. If you, make the parents bring meals, then obviously you'd charge less.

mem82
by Representative on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Thanks for the response. Because of the numer (4) ages (youngest is 17months) of my own children, I don't think I would take on a SN child just yet. I'm not sure how fair it is to charge more for a kiddo that is SN? I guess that isn't something I have thought about.

Quoting MJP76:

I don't and wouldn't. However, my BFF is in child care and she charges different rates for different children (because of age, or because of special needs, or because of time spent IE whole day, half day, howmany days a week) she watches 4 children at the moment, including her own, and one of them is a SN child. I think she charges about 200 a week for the special needs child (full time) and 150 a week for the regular children) obviously that would be cut in half for PT.. If you are supplying meals that also goes into your cost. If you, make the parents bring meals, then obviously you'd charge less.

mem82
by Representative on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:53 PM

BUMP!

Mommy2justone
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:56 PM

I make about $5 an hour watching my friend's child. 
She adds an extra $5 each week for food for lunches.  

MJP76
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Well, the reason for the extra charge is because of the extra care needed for that child (taking child to therapy, Dr appointments ect)  I wouldn't take on a SN child either unless you have expirence with it.

:) good luck!

what I would do, is look on Craig's list, or in the paper, and see what people are charging in your area.. Maybe even call as if you are enquiring about child care, see what their rates are..

i did childcare for a very brief spell.. Very brief, so I am by no means an expert, however I watched two children, sisters.. One was a baby the other was a school aged child.. I babysat from 7am - 6 PM every day... I charged a daily rate because of the parents strange schedule. I charged 20 a day doe the baby, and when I had the school aged child... 2 or 3 times a week, I charged an extra 10.00 for that day... That seemed to be the normal...the parents at that time actually told me I was cheap...LOL but that was also 11 years ago.

Quoting mem82:

Thanks for the response. Because of the numer (4) ages (youngest is 17months) of my own children, I don't think I would take on a SN child just yet. I'm not sure how fair it is to charge more for a kiddo that is SN? I guess that isn't something I have thought about.

Quoting MJP76:

mem82
by Representative on Feb. 7, 2013 at 5:11 PM

That's not too shabby. LOL

Quoting Mommy2justone:

Mommy2justone
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Yeah, it's only about 17 hours a week, but it pays for my daughter's tuition to a private montessori school. And it works out well because he will start Kindergarten at the same time we start homeschooling. 

Quoting mem82:

Quoting Mommy2justone:

mem82
by Representative on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:13 PM

That's great!

Quoting Mommy2justone:

Yeah, it's only about 17 hours a week, but it pays for my daughter's tuition to a private montessori school. And it works out well because he will start Kindergarten at the same time we start homeschooling. 

Quoting mem82:

Quoting Mommy2justone:

BlessedToBeMe
by Lindsay on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:11 AM

When I watched kids my summer rate was $125 a week; which included meals/snacks, pool pass, & any activities I took the kids to. We went swimming at least twice a week & on a 'fieldtrip' once a week

cat1622
by Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Before we moved and we both worked we paid $90 a week for my daughter for all day and $50 per week for my son for before and after school care.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)