Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ohio Moms Ohio Moms

Gardening

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 7:58 AM
  • 10 Replies
Is anyone doing their own garden this year? Have you started planning? We are doing a small one here at home, and helping my dad with his larger one. I think I'm going to start the seedlings in mid march, but this is my first time! Any advice for SW Ohio appreciated!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 7:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
johnny4ever
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:43 AM

Yes we do one every summer.Tomatoes,Carrots & Lettuce

thesimplethings
by Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:44 AM

We plant a pretty good size garden every year... we usually don't start with the seedlings. We go to the local amish plant store and get what we need to put out a good size garden for 20.00 or less! and the plants are wonderful!

DirtyHippyMama
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:48 AM

We really should! 

DirtyHippyMama
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:48 AM

I so badly want to. My one recommendation is to make sure you get non-GMO seeds. 

mommyfrey83
by Tianna on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:30 AM

No gardening for me. Every time I try my flowers die or don't come up at all. I have no green thumb at all. I hope when I have a house again one day I can figure it out, I love pretty gardens. 

Mommy2justone
by Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:31 AM

We start our lettuce inside mid march, our peas as well. 
Green beans are started in dixie cups on the patio beginning of april (so we can bring them in if it frosts late).
Then the end of april we plant everything.  

mem82
by Representative on Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:46 PM
I would love to this year.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Representative on Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:46 PM
I have just started to plan.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
4music
by Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:58 PM

We garden and preserve food.

Buy heritage plants and you can use the seeds from this year's harvest to plant next years crop.   Make sure you amend your soil before you get going - a garden is only as good as the soil it's planted in. Start small so you don't get overwhelmed.  Also, look into companion planting - many plants/herbs grow well together, give each other pest control and the nutrients they need.

Why123
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:27 PM

I love having a garden.  Unfortunately the squirrels eat it before I get anything. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)