Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ohio Moms Ohio Moms

How much gardening do you do?

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:16 AM
  • 12 Replies

I am thinking about gardening quite a bit so I'm interested in hearing about everyone else's garden. Just flowers, some veggies? How do you start it? How much time, money, effort? Pictures? LOL let's talk about it!

gardening

by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
elizabethnoelb
by New Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:36 AM

I realllllllly wish I did more!

mem82
by Representative on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:03 AM
1 mom liked this

me, too. I try to do my front flower bed each year. This year, I want to do some veggies.

Quoting elizabethnoelb:

I realllllllly wish I did more!

johnny4ever
by Tracy on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:18 AM

We have flowers up front..different every year..garden in back tomatoes..lettuce..carrots.Mostly all from plants at local store.

MJP76
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:43 PM

So, up until now I've just tested out my green thumb and done herbal gardens, but this spring I tend to dig out the trees/bushes at the side of my house that is already framed with wood, and start a garden *crosses fingers* I'll still do the herbs I like, but I want to get some things going like strawberries (I also plan on starting to can this spring, so I really want strawberries for jellies), cucumbers (for pickles), tomatoes, and I want to also do pumpkins... Just to start... I may add more NEXT spring if I find I have room.

4music
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 1:58 PM

I have some landscaping plants in the front.

For perennial food we have blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, elderberries, gooseberries, currants, grapes, mulberries, pears, paw-paws, figs, lemons, mushrooms, asparagus, rhubarb and herbs.    This year we will be adding apples, plums, peaches and cherries.

This spring we will put in our annual crops - tomatoes, zuchinni, butternut squash, buttercup squash, artichokes, cucumbers, beans, herbs, pumpkin and i'm not sure yet what else.

All gardens take time, money and work - don't let anyone tell you otherwise.  First thing you need to do is amend your soil (turn it up and mix in compost).  Your garden can only be as healthy as your soil. Second suggestion is invest in heirloom plants so that you can use the seeds in this years harvest to plant next years crops. Third, start composting - why buy compoist when you can have your own from stuff you'd throw away.

I mean, if I went around sayin' I was an empereror just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me they'd put me away!
-Dennis
mommyfrey83
by Tianna on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:26 PM

I am no good at keeping plants/gardens alive :/ I'm hoping once I have a house again I can get better at it. For now I will stick to fake plants and veggies from the grocery store. 

Misha1204
by Misha on Feb. 18, 2013 at 3:40 PM
Gardening.....ummm....in the negative.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SunCrazy
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:56 PM
We live in an apartment so I do my gardening in containers. Every year I change it up a little but mainly plant flowers, herbs and tomatoes. They don't take a lot of time and they're easy to maintain.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sarahbell811
by Sarah on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:40 AM

yeah, I don't garden. I wish I could, but I always kill everything. lol

Boobah
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:37 AM
Just wanted to let you know if you don't already - strawberries will take over! Lol! I have mine in a container until I can have a dedicated patch.

Quoting MJP76:

So, up until now I've just tested out my green thumb and done herbal gardens, but this spring I tend to dig out the trees/bushes at the side of my house that is already framed with wood, and start a garden *crosses fingers* I'll still do the herbs I like, but I want to get some things going like strawberries (I also plan on starting to can this spring, so I really want strawberries for jellies), cucumbers (for pickles), tomatoes, and I want to also do pumpkins... Just to start... I may add more NEXT spring if I find I have room.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)