Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ohio Moms Ohio Moms

Year Round Schooling

johnny4ever
Happy 11th Birthday Daniel!!!
Yesterday at 7:30 AM
Posted by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 8:15 AM
  • 11 Replies

What are your thoughts?sarcasm

by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 8:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tobysmom103
by Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:48 AM

i dont think its a good idea teachers and the kids need a little break

ba13ygrl1987
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:14 AM
I like it. I wish more schools would practice it. The shorter summer breaks help students with retention and the frequency of breaks has shown to improve overall attendance and improve attention spans. I think it's a win win for parents, students and teachers.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoeyJrsMomma
by Carrie on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:16 AM

Don't like it. Kids need time to be kids. 

mem82
by Representative on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:32 AM
This!

Quoting ba13ygrl1987:

I like it. I wish more schools would practice it. The shorter summer breaks help students with retention and the frequency of breaks has shown to improve overall attendance and improve attention spans. I think it's a win win for parents, students and teachers.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Representative on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:33 AM
I think the summer break should be shorter and other breaks longer.
mem82
by Representative on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:35 AM
As Homeschoolers, we rarely break very long from math or English, but we do use the summer to enjoy what the outdoors can teach us.
johnny4ever
Happy 11th Birthday Daniel!!!
Yesterday at 7:30 AM
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:37 AM

Quoting mem82:

This!

Quoting ba13ygrl1987:

Agreed

mommyfrey83
by Tianna on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:19 AM

My kids aren't in school but I think I would like year round schooling. Summer break always gets a little boring near the end from what I remember. 

4music
by Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:21 AM

The tradition summer break is a result of the U.S. previously being a primarily agrariannation where the children were needed on the farms during these months.  This no longer holds true. 

I think many people are confused by the "year round school" misnomer, believing that kids would spend all of their time in school with no time to "be kids".  It is simply not true. They would attend the same number of days with several smaller breaks during the calendar year. That is unless the extended year is implemented, adding about 15-20 day (3-4 weeks).

When talking year round school it is important to notice that there are different types - single track and multitrack. In single track year round education the entire student body follows the same calendar  while in multitrack year round education the student body is split into groups that attend at different times. There are pros and cons to both (cost, "summer jobs", child care, educational bennifits, conflicting scedules from scool to school) and experts disagree on most all of them.

Personally, i'm in favor - but only in a single track, statewide type of situation.

DirtyHippyMama
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:21 PM

not a fan 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)