Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ohio Moms Ohio Moms

Thinking of moving to Ohio

Posted by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 1:02 PM
  • 32 Replies

My husband and I are  thinking of moving to Ohio. We live in SC and there is no jobs. It is more who you know than experience. Just wondering how is the cost of living and the schools. We are a interracial family so I want to know how is the culture too. We would like to live in a rural or suburban area. No cities. We been researching the Reynoldsburg and Columbus area. Can you tell us where it the best place to move? Thank you!

by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 1:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
johnny4ever
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 7:07 PM

My Hubby's Cousin lives in Hamilton....just outside Columbus.Great Community.

wife2nynan
by Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 8:08 AM
1 mom liked this
Hi! I live right where you're talking about. I'm in Blacklick, which is right next to Reynoldsburg. We just moved here a month ago.

There are many races here in my area. It's definitely a melting pot. I think you and your family would be comfortable here for sure.

As far as jobs, the Columbus area is doing well, despite the economy in the rest of the country. There's new construction going up all over the place, which is a great sign. I see signs everyday in store windows looking for workers.

Schools--I will just tell you what we were told, which is that Reynoldsburg is not known for having great schools. That being said, I researched their test scores and they do well. I don't know why people are negative on Reynoldsburg schools, but that's what several people told us. Pickerington, just next to Reynoldsburg, has a great school system and people say great things about it. You will find higher rent there, tho. Where I am in Blacklick, the schools are good, but this area is growing so rapidly that the classrooms are filling up and teacher-student ratio is not ideal.

I think Reynoldsburg is a nice town. It's not charming and adorable like nearby Granville, but it's very decent and feels safe.

In this area, you are very close to the city....you can see the big buildings off in the distance, so you may be driving thru a decent area and suddenly be in a not-so-nice area....it comes with being this close to the city.

Big negatives: the airport is really close, so you will hear planes flying over your house. There is a major railway between Blacklick and Reynoldsburg and the trains can be noisy. There are also quite a few registered sex offenders in the area, so check the registry and choose your neighborhood carefully.

Hope some of that helps!
Khanfan
by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 8:28 AM

My dh and I moved to the city of Columbus in June, from California.  Our rent is less than half of what it was in CA and we are in a nicer community than we left.  We are 2.5 miles from German Village. we go to Reynoldsburg for Walmart because it's close.   The schools in the city of Columbus aren't the best, but I home school anyway so I can't say.  DH just found a job and went for his first day today.   My son and his wife are moving here at the end of this month and we have a great church family here so I'm excited about living here.

luce1977
by New Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Thank you ladies for the responses!! We are going to send applications up there. Hope we get some responses.

caustinb
by Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 3:58 PM
I'm in Cincinnati, but Grove City suburb of Columbus is nice. Also its not too terribly far from Dayton of you need more job options.
luce1977
by New Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Quoting caustinb:

I'm in Cincinnati, but Grove City suburb of Columbus is nice. Also its not too terribly far from Dayton of you need more job options.

Thank you!!  My husband has experience in manufacturing. I seen a lot job openings up there and it is beautiful up there.

wife2nynan
by Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 7:17 AM
Where is California did you come from? We spent the last 8 months in Florida, but we are originally from SoCal. Grew up in Riverside County and lived most recently in Chino Hills.

Quoting Khanfan:

My dh and I moved to the city of Columbus in June, from California.  Our rent is less than half of what it was in CA and we are in a nicer community than we left.  We are 2.5 miles from German Village. we go to Reynoldsburg for Walmart because it's close.   The schools in the city of Columbus aren't the best, but I home school anyway so I can't say.  DH just found a job and went for his first day today.   My son and his wife are moving here at the end of this month and we have a great church family here so I'm excited about living here.

wife2nynan
by Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 7:17 AM
Where IN California! Not where IS! LOL

Quoting wife2nynan:

Where is California did you come from? We spent the last 8 months in Florida, but we are originally from SoCal. Grew up in Riverside County and lived most recently in Chino Hills.

Quoting Khanfan:

MrsImperfect
by Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 7:26 AM
I live in Amherst. Excellent school system. There's jobs around the area.
Elementaryboys2
by Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Not sure what the best place is...my family and I are in the Findlay area and it seems nice...I love the school my boys go to because they seem to really care about the kids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN