Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ohio Moms Ohio Moms

Moving to Columbus area - HELP!

Posted by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 10:12 AM
  • 19 Replies

Hi, my family is relocating to the Columbus area and its been hard to get a good feel.  We're looking for a nice, safe neighborhood with great schools.  Safety and quality of education are super important to us.  We have a kindergartener.  Can you recommend any areas for me to look at?  

by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 10:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Khanfan
by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 6:28 PM
1 mom liked this

I just want to say hello and I hope Columbus will be good for you and your family.  I've only been here 5 months.  I home school my dd, but hear from others that the schools here need some help.  Test scores are bad around the district.  I know people who do send their kids to school and are doing okay So far the people I know with school age kids are in the German Village/Merion Village neighborhood.  I live on the South side right now.  I hope this helps a little.  There is a part of this area called Bexley and it is upper scale, but I haven't looked into why it is it's own city.  The Kroger I go to most has a Bexley address, but it isn't fancy at all. I come from Southern California and this part of the country is pretty differnt to me. I like it.

Khanfan
by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 6:29 PM

BUMP!

Halloween07Mom
by Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 11:43 PM

Thanks for your reply.  I am originally from Southern California too, but have lived in Northern NJ for the past 4 years.  I don't care about fancy so much as a nice, safe place to live with a good, solid school district.  

Does anyone know anything about the surrounding suburbs?  Places like New Albany, Westerville, Lewis Center, Powell, etc?

wife2nynan
by Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 7:32 AM
2 moms liked this
All the places you listed have great school districts! Actually, you named all my favorite towns. We've been here 2 months and I desperately tried to move to those areas, but we are renting and there weren't many choices. We're in Blacklick near New Albany, which ia really nice....New Albany is where the doctors live and it's a beautiful, upscale area. I love Westerville...such a cute little town! It has the charm of the older town with shopping close by. It was actually our first choice for a place to live, but I couldn't find any rentals there. Good luck!!! I'm a SoCal girl too! Let me know when you get here!
Khanfan
by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 10:00 AM
1 mom liked this

I grew up in Orange County and then moved to the city of Corona for 18 yrs.

My family lives where we do for the purpose of being near our church and our son and his wife.

Quoting Halloween07Mom:

Thanks for your reply.  I am originally from Southern California too, but have lived in Northern NJ for the past 4 years.  I don't care about fancy so much as a nice, safe place to live with a good, solid school district.  

Does anyone know anything about the surrounding suburbs?  Places like New Albany, Westerville, Lewis Center, Powell, etc?

hjb2012
by Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 10:57 AM
2 moms liked this
I have a cousin, whose husband is a police officer, that lives in Sunbury. We just went to a school event for her son. They love the area.
Mrs._Lovett
by New Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 11:20 AM
1 mom liked this

I lived in columbus most of my life. honestly, the more north you go the better it gets. don't go anywhere in the south especially the hilltop area, the crime is very bad there. the west side and the east side are "ok", it's a mix, the north side - stay away from hudson st area and linden area, and cleveland ave is not very good either. we recently moved to shrock rd area, it's a lot nicer but our car was just broken into a month ago, so not perfect. Westerville is a beautiful little area and has a lot of nice shops around S. State St., although since that's around where we are like I said, safe but not perfect. Dublin and Worthington are nice, Polaris mall area is safer and more upscale, Lewis center is wonderful, it's where you start seeing more country area but you're still not too far away from everything, but it's hard to find things available there for housing because no one wants to move. Delaware is farther than columbus but since it's more north it's a beautiful area lots of great shops and the air is a lot fresher! in the summer columbus gets air quality alerts. I would say the more north you live the safer and prettier things get, but columbus is not all bad there are tons of things to do here and places to go. right now we're in the columbus school district i have a kindergartener, and the schools are not very good. i think it's gotten worse since I've grown up. my daughters school is alpine it's one of the best in the columbus district but it's nothing that I think it should be. westerville schools are better and worthington schools are AWESOME. right now I manage a facebook page for one of my friends and every friday I put out weekend events going on in columbus. feel free to check it out :) facebook.com/crystallizedtan

Quoting Halloween07Mom:

Halloween07Mom
by Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 7:12 PM

I grew up in San Diego.  Stayed for college at SDSU.  

Halloween07Mom
by Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Thanks, that's a ton of very useful information!  So far, I've only been able to go with what I can find on the internet, which doesn't give me a feel for much more than cost and school test scores.   We're hoping to get out there and really look next weekend.  

Quoting Mrs._Lovett:

I lived in columbus most of my life. honestly, the more north you go the better it gets. don't go anywhere in the south especially the hilltop area, the crime is very bad there. the west side and the east side are "ok", it's a mix, the north side - stay away from hudson st area and linden area, and cleveland ave is not very good either. we recently moved to shrock rd area, it's a lot nicer but our car was just broken into a month ago, so not perfect. Westerville is a beautiful little area and has a lot of nice shops around S. State St., although since that's around where we are like I said, safe but not perfect. Dublin and Worthington are nice, Polaris mall area is safer and more upscale, Lewis center is wonderful, it's where you start seeing more country area but you're still not too far away from everything, but it's hard to find things available there for housing because no one wants to move. Delaware is farther than columbus but since it's more north it's a beautiful area lots of great shops and the air is a lot fresher! in the summer columbus gets air quality alerts. I would say the more north you live the safer and prettier things get, but columbus is not all bad there are tons of things to do here and places to go. right now we're in the columbus school district i have a kindergartener, and the schools are not very good. i think it's gotten worse since I've grown up. my daughters school is alpine it's one of the best in the columbus district but it's nothing that I think it should be. westerville schools are better and worthington schools are AWESOME. right now I manage a facebook page for one of my friends and every friday I put out weekend events going on in columbus. feel free to check it out :) facebook.com/crystallizedtan

Quoting Halloween07Mom:

Halloween07Mom
by Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 7:20 PM

My daughter's sitter has a friend that lives in Sunbury, and said she found it nice.  I'm just not sure if that would be too much of a commute.  DH's job office would be off I670 at Leonard Ave.  What's the commute like up that way? 

Quoting hjb2012:

I have a cousin, whose husband is a police officer, that lives in Sunbury. We just went to a school event for her son. They love the area.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN