Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dayton?

Posted by on Nov. 13, 2015 at 11:17 PM
  • 8 Replies

Just found out we're moving to Dayton OH in the spring. Need words of advice, housing areas and schools to avoid, anything helpful ould be appreciated. :) Hoping they have a good music department in the schools, as my 11 year old plays cello in the orchestra at her current school. Also have an 8 year old daughter.

by on Nov. 13, 2015 at 11:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
caustinb
by Member on Nov. 14, 2015 at 11:00 AM
1 mom liked this

Don't know what part of Dayton your employer will be in, but Yellow Springs is a fantastic area.  Its a about 30 minutes east of downtown Dayton.  Awesome community, very artsy.

cheriealanismom
by New Member on Nov. 14, 2015 at 11:06 AM

We'll be living near the Wright AFB, as my DH is a marine. Is Yellow Springs near there?

Quoting caustinb:

Don't know what part of Dayton your employer will be in, but Yellow Springs is a fantastic area.  Its a about 30 minutes east of downtown Dayton.  Awesome community, very artsy.

caustinb
by Member on Nov. 14, 2015 at 1:18 PM
Not too far, you'd actually do pretty well with traffic coming that way too. A lot of people that work at Wright Patt live in the Beavercreek and Kettering areas, and there would probably be more available houses to choose from.

Quoting cheriealanismom:

We'll be living near the Wright AFB, as my DH is a marine. Is Yellow Springs near there?

Quoting caustinb:

karone04
by Member on Nov. 14, 2015 at 1:52 PM
1 mom liked this

We live in Huber Heights. It is a few minutes away from the base and Dayton. All the schools except Studebaker are just a few years old. My son goes to Wright Brothers and he said that they don't have band until 6th grade. Huber is at the minimum for bussing. So if you are 2 miles and under your kids will have to walk or you will have to take them.

The farmers market will reopen next spring. We just got a concert place similar to The Fraze. Aquatic center replaced the old swimming pool a few years ago. There is a free splash pad at the big park that most call Tom Cloud. Carriage Hill is a museum type of park. If you like walking trails then there is Taylorsville dam and Charleston Falls a little outside of Huber. There are 2 retro video game stores with arcades. A few minutes away is Scene 75 and it is a big arcade with new machines. Shopping wise we have 2 Kroger, Meijers, Walmart, Aldi, Kohls, Petsmart, Target, Marshalls, Gamestop, Dollar General, Dollar Tree, Family Dollar, Elder Berman.

cheriealanismom
by New Member on Nov. 14, 2015 at 10:15 PM
What's the general rental cost for a 3 bedroom? We looked on realtor.com and saw a ton of houses for sale under $20k. That seems insane to me!

Quoting karone04:

We live in Huber Heights. It is a few minutes away from the base and Dayton. All the schools except Studebaker are just a few years old. My son goes to Wright Brothers and he said that they don't have band until 6th grade. Huber is at the minimum for bussing. So if you are 2 miles and under your kids will have to walk or you will have to take them.

The farmers market will reopen next spring. We just got a concert place similar to The Fraze. Aquatic center replaced the old swimming pool a few years ago. There is a free splash pad at the big park that most call Tom Cloud. Carriage Hill is a museum type of park. If you like walking trails then there is Taylorsville dam and Charleston Falls a little outside of Huber. There are 2 retro video game stores with arcades. A few minutes away is Scene 75 and it is a big arcade with new machines. Shopping wise we have 2 Kroger, Meijers, Walmart, Aldi, Kohls, Petsmart, Target, Marshalls, Gamestop, Dollar General, Dollar Tree, Family Dollar, Elder Berman.

karone04
by Member on Nov. 15, 2015 at 2:12 PM

We rent through Vinebrook. It is $640 a month. We pay for water, electric, gas and cable. Trash is picked up by Republic and that is included in the water bill. Public bussing is RTA and it goes from here to downtown Dayton and the Dayton Mall. In Greene County it is call Greene Cats. We used to live in Fairborn (before moving back here) and Greene Cats went from Fairborn to Xenia. I don't know if they have expanded that or not. We were in Fairborn when my son was in preschool and kindergarten so I don't know much else about Fairborn. I can ask my friend who still lives there with any questions you have.

Quoting cheriealanismom: What's the general rental cost for a 3 bedroom? We looked on realtor.com and saw a ton of houses for sale under $20k. That seems insane to me!
Quoting karone04:

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
ShakeNbaaakeD
by New Member on Feb. 24, 2016 at 10:07 AM

Anything outside of actual Dayton is great, unless you can afford private schooling. The school system is a joke and is completely failing.

Oakwood, Beavercreek, Upper Kettering are all great surrounding areas with awesome schools.

LovelyMother12
by on Jul. 15, 2017 at 4:41 AM
Hello im Wendy how did your move go? I'm actually looking to move to the same are hopefully before school starts back. I have ran out of places to look for a home do you have any suggestions also looking for a three bedroom. Thanks in advance
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)