Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Colorado Moms Colorado Moms

Home Schooling or Online Schooling VS. Public School

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 1:00 PM
  • 52 Replies

More and more people are moving from public education to homeschooling or online school for there children.  We actually did online school with my son who is now a 2nd grader when he was in Kindergarten, but opted for public school last year.  He actually began the school year last year much more advanced than the other students to our surprise. 

Just out of curiousity...what are you alls thoughts on the subject? If your children are in public school, would you ever chose to do home school or online school?  What do you feel is better, or what is a better choice for your child?  Share your thoughts?

by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 1:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
eema.gray
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 1:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I was raised in a home school environment so that's my comfort zone.  We're going to send our oldest to K next year, see how it goes, and review from there.  Basically, homeschool / virtual academy is ALWAYS an option should the current teacher or classroom environment not be working that particular year.

ddwin
by Member on Aug. 21, 2012 at 1:05 PM
1 mom liked this

I would never do homeschool or online school... for a few main reasons. One, I'm a single mom and have to work full-time. I'm not home to be able to do it. Two, I'm NOT a teacher. I suck at teaching...I would hate to be responsible for my dd falling behind because I can't teach her as well as an actual teacher. Then three, my dd has speech delays and a little bit of some motor delays (due to having no hearing on her left side, then gaining it back last year...we're playing catch-up). She has an IEP and works with therapists 4 days a week at school.

For us? Public is the only real viable option that benefits her the most. I think it's great for those who have the time, ability, patients and willingness to do it at home.

nightwish0523
by Lisa on Aug. 21, 2012 at 1:29 PM
Public. Maybe private if I get a job at a private school and we get it free lol. Even though I'm a teacher, I can only do science and older kids.. I don't know elementary teachers do it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
eema.gray
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 1:29 PM
1 mom liked this

My son was on an IEP for speech also.  Get this.  The district we're in evaluated him as having the speech of a 13 month old baby . . . . when he was THREE YEARS OLD.  Know what they offered him?????  4 days of preschool a week and ONE (yes, 1) 20 minute one-on-one session per week with a speech therapist.  It was the most devestating, frustrating, confusing meeting of my life.  On the one hand they were saying they wanted him up to age level by the time he finished K.  ANd here they are offering this minimal amount of therapy that was not going to get him to age level before the end of grade school.  I let his IEP expire.  I got him private speech therapy (started with an hour 3 days a week, we're down to once a week now).  We're a year out from starting school and he's only about 6 to 10 months behind his peers 18 months after that initial evaluation.  When we were deciding if we should schedule his annual reevaluation with the district or let it expire, I talked with my parents about some of what was going on.  My dad found out that in the school district I grew up in, my son would have been given a minimum of 30 minutes every single day for speech therapy.  But our district is highly understaffed and overloaded.  Once the big guy gets his speech issues behind him, I have every confidence I can teach him myself if necessary.  :-)

Quoting ddwin:

I would never do homeschool or online school... for a few main reasons. One, I'm a single mom and have to work full-time. I'm not home to be able to do it. Two, I'm NOT a teacher. I suck at teaching...I would hate to be responsible for my dd falling behind because I can't teach her as well as an actual teacher. Then three, my dd has speech delays and a little bit of some motor delays (due to having no hearing on her left side, then gaining it back last year...we're playing catch-up). She has an IEP and works with therapists 4 days a week at school.

For us? Public is the only real viable option that benefits her the most. I think it's great for those who have the time, ability, patients and willingness to do it at home.

"I am only one, but I am still one; I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do." ~~ Edward Everett Hale 1822-1909
MrsAmira
by Member on Aug. 21, 2012 at 1:33 PM
2 moms liked this

Thanks for your reply Emma.  I don't know many adults that were educated in homeschool.  Kudo's to your parents.  It's actually my preference for my family, but with my daughter being in 10th grade, there is NO WAY we could comfortably pull her out of her school and that environment and home school her.  I'm actually very pleased with her school so I think it's the best place for her.  With my son, we may re-visit the idea in a year or two, but I think with BOTH, the more involved you are as a parent the better off your child will be. 

MrsAmira
by Member on Aug. 21, 2012 at 1:40 PM

@ DDWIN,  You recognize that what is most important for your child and their acedemic success and that's awesome.  Life happens and while as parent's we would LOVE to devote our every second to them and thier needs, it's not always a realistic option.

MrsAmira
by Member on Aug. 21, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Ok...I'm new to cafe mom guys and I have no idea why it's not letting me reply to each of you individually so I apologize.  :(

eema.gray
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 1:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I didn't finish my schooling at home, started private schools in 8th grade.  But still, when I think about kids and school, my comfort zone is home school.  THere's an excellent charter program very close to where we live and I'm hoping I can get my son enrolled for K there before they fill up for next fall.  Hopefully, it will be as good of a school for him as I've heard from others!

Quoting MrsAmira:

Thanks for your reply Emma.  I don't know many adults that were educated in homeschool.  Kudo's to your parents.  It's actually my preference for my family, but with my daughter being in 10th grade, there is NO WAY we could comfortably pull her out of her school and that environment and home school her.  I'm actually very pleased with her school so I think it's the best place for her.  With my son, we may re-visit the idea in a year or two, but I think with BOTH, the more involved you are as a parent the better off your child will be. 

"I am only one, but I am still one; I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do." ~~ Edward Everett Hale 1822-1909
flowerfunleah
by Leah on Aug. 21, 2012 at 1:44 PM

I'd really love to send our daughter to the private school that my niece and nephew go to but we'll see. Otherwise I'd like to try having her go TO a school and see how it goes from there.

MrsAmira
by Member on Aug. 21, 2012 at 1:47 PM

@nightwish0253...  Lol.  I know what you mean about private school.  It's definitely expensive. 

Like I mentioned to DDWIN, recognizing what's best for your child is what's most important, so good for you.  Although, if you are strong in science, you can give your child a head start by working with them at home to strengthen their skills in that area.  Good for you.  I used to love science as a child and wanted to be a chemist when I was in elementary school.  Lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN