Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Colorado Moms Colorado Moms

Eating healthy

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 7:02 PM
  • 8 Replies
I feel like my body is falling apart and it's probably because I am not a good eater at all. So I'm trying to eat healthier, any tips? Suggestions? Healthy recipes? Anything helps!
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 7:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
spykgurlcom
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 7:06 PM
I eat protien (eggs with cheese and peanut butter wheat toast) in the morning, and something light for lunch like a salad with chicken or something. The best thing to do is change the little things. Make your white bread wheat, eat less sausages and beef and more chicken and fish. And for snacks eat veggies and fruits. I still eat uber meaty dinners. Lol. But its the little things you do that make you feel better.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sirat23
by Sidney on Aug. 23, 2012 at 7:08 PM
I need to add fiber in my diet as well, been having BM problems every since I had my daughter
Virgo.Mama
by Brittney on Aug. 23, 2012 at 8:18 PM
Well I'm on very low to no fats till my Gallbladder comes out so I've been eating veggies and no fat turkey lol..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bradensmommy719
by Anji on Aug. 23, 2012 at 8:23 PM
Dont eat out a lot, add veggies and fruit to every meal. And change the bread, like mentioned. Drink water all day and maybe some juice for one meal. Cut out the "junk" one thing at a time if you have too. Good luck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Aug. 23, 2012 at 11:17 PM

We eat a lot of ground turkey and boneless/skinless chicken.  I try to throw grilled fish in every once-in-awhile too.  I ahve been trying to serve the veggie(a salad or something) before dinner so that we fill up on that first before we fill up on everything else.  My sister is a nutritionist and she said that if you split a plate in half, half of it should be fruits or veggies and the other half on one side it should be protien and the other carbs.  A doctor once told me to use kid sized plates too instead of big plates because you eat less. 

sarahjz
by Sarah on Aug. 24, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Lots of fruits and veggies and limit, or eliminate sugary drinks.

eema.gray
by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 9:59 AM

I've mentioned a few places that we've been making some major dietary changes, this is probably a good place to talk about why and what.  :-)

The influential books for me are The Sugar Blues, Wheat Belly, The Paleo Solution, and The Blood Sugar Solution, which is kind of a layperson's guide to all of the other books, which can get technical in places.

We are consequently in the process of cutting out all sweeteners (aside from a bit of honey here and there), all grains (including rice and corn), all beans, and all dairy.  I'm hopeful that in a couple months, we'll be able to add back some beans here and there, and cream and butter.  But we may not be able to, it depends on how my kids react to adding things back in.  Some people have to also give up nuts, eggs, and/or nightshade plants (tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, potatoes) to see any significant changes to their health.  Hopefully, we won't have to go that far!  I don't thin we will because I'm seeing remarkable improvement just with no sweeteners/gains/beans/dairy.

The idea behind all of this is that modern grain varieties and the modern procedures for handling dairy cause tremendous amounts of inflamation in our bodies, which can have a 1001 different effects in our bodies ranging from depression and mood swings to constipation, balance, heart disease, rashes, you name it.  It's pretty astonishing and even a lot of otherwise completely mainstream doctors are recognizeing the role that inflamation plays in body function.

Some people go really low carb when they go to this kind of diet, eating only a few servings of leafy greens per day.  We're not going that extreme.  We have a piece of protein (protein has a mom and dad, LOL) and 2 or 3 vegetables for each of our meals.

ddwin
by Member on Aug. 24, 2012 at 11:34 AM
1 mom liked this

Go Here for some really good (heart healthy) meals! 

Sign up for the American Heart Associations Go Red for Women BetterU program. It's free (it's what I've been doing for 3 weeks), has great resources and gets you to thinking about what changes you really need to make to sustain a healthy lifestyle... no dieting.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN