Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Colorado Moms Colorado Moms

That gaffe by Smith had me wondering, do you talk to your daughter about women’s rights?

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 4:48 PM
Amy
  • 13 Replies

After reading what Smith said about pregnancy out of wedlock being like rape, I started thinking about women's rights and how twisted up the ideas are that some candidates seem to have about women's rights. Do you talk to your daughter about women's rights and explain why statements like his, Akin's, and others, are wrong?

by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 4:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jambo4
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 4:54 PM
2 moms liked this

No clue who Smith is... and I am sick to death of the Akin's crap and trying to say that he speaks for all Republicans...

that's crap!

eema.gray
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 5:34 PM

No, but only because my daughters are too little.  It's going to be a topic of frequent conversations as they get bigger though.  :-)

Nighttiger
by Ashley on Aug. 28, 2012 at 6:01 PM

We only have a son so far. Yes, he will be talked to about sex and the ramifications of not protecting yourself when he is old enough, including all the mis-information surrounding pregnancy.

littlemascara
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 7:20 PM
2 moms liked this

I have 2 teen daughters and 1 teen son, and yes we have taught them we all deserve equal rights regardless of gender, color, sexual orientation, abilites, etc.  So they pretty well understand on their own what morons these guys are and how really very dangerous they are.

everydayjill
by Robyn on Aug. 28, 2012 at 11:19 PM
I talk with my son and my daughter about these men and their ridiculous comments. Not a pretty topic, or an easy one, but I feel like it is so important that they know how easily rights can be taken away. I also think they need to know that we still live in a society where women's rights can still be up for grabs.
countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Aug. 28, 2012 at 11:35 PM

I don't have a daughter, only three sons, but as I am obviously very much on the other side of the debate from you, I do talk to them about how wrong we feel abortion is and the need to protect life at all stages. 

sarahjz
by Sarah on Aug. 29, 2012 at 12:07 AM
I don't know what he said but my daughter is an infant. No talks yet.
iluv2read
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 12:21 PM

I think it's important to talk to them when they're old enough to understand.

♥ ♥   I love to read. ♥ ♥

zacmacsmomm
by Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 12:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I talk to my children about HUMAN rights.  And when it comes to sex, I've told both (well son more because he's 18) that it's a great idea to wait untill AFTER high school.  Plus i've told my son that unless he wants a child with cancer (he had a genetic/heredity form) that he better use a condom every single damn time he has sex.  Because if he doesn't, that means that he thinks he's ready for the role of being a Parent.  Will tell my daughter the same thing

heyfoxes
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 4:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I definitly will talk to my daughter about women's rights and how important it is that women have many choices available to them.  At the same time, I want to stess the emotional hazards that can come from having sex before she's ready.  Many times I think mom's worry so much about the physical implications of sex (pregnancy and STDs) that we forget how damaging sex can be emotionally if its not with the right person.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN