Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Colorado Moms Colorado Moms

Does class size matter?

Posted by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:00 PM
  • 10 Replies

This campaign ad talks about the differences in education policy between the candidates.  Where do you stand?  Do you think class size matters?  How important is education funding?

by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PINKmyfavcolor
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Yes, class size matters and we need more money for education to reduce the size of classes.

rocky_mtn_mama
by Amy on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Class size definitely matters!  I think more money used toward education is necessary.  After all, these children are our future and we need to invest in them!

amonkeymom
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Most definitely!  Bigger classes = less attention and more kids falling through the cracks.

Greekmama21
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 2:32 PM

I don't believe class size matters if there are loving and involved parents in the household but throwing money at the problem will solve nothing... At the same time cutting education costs is not going to help because schools will have to cut the budgets and get rid of teachers unless the states and local community decide to pick up the slack which may or may not happen. I can't see Michigan (where we lived) picking up tons of slack, particularly on the community level. 

6Fish
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Obama admitted himself, last night in the debate that he spoke with a teacher who had 40 some children in her classroom.  FORTY.  WTH has Obama been doing for the past four years if he is so damn concerned about class size.  And he says this as if it's so sad, and he's so worried about it.  REALLY? If you think it's bad, then fix it! Oh, that's right....you have a golf game to play.

nacholibre
by Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 3:43 PM
1 mom liked this

he can't make decisions alone... that's why we have the senate and congress and checks and balances and all that jazz...

ALL presidents have been seen playing golf... Bush ran off to his personal retreat when shit was hitting the fan... Obama did busy himself with things like, oh I don't know, ending the war and helping to bring down Bin Laden.

But this is off topic. I'm gonna go answer the question that this post was asking now.

Quoting 6Fish:

Obama admitted himself, last night in the debate that he spoke with a teacher who had 40 some children in her classroom.  FORTY.  WTH has Obama been doing for the past four years if he is so damn concerned about class size.  And he says this as if it's so sad, and he's so worried about it.  REALLY? If you think it's bad, then fix it! Oh, that's right....you have a golf game to play.

nacholibre
by Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 3:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I have personally known the difference of smaller classes! When I was in middle school, I could not grasp a lot of concepts in math/algebra. Had a friend in the same class who was the same way. The teacher did not have time to focus on helping us, and would get frustrated that we weren't understanding her. They brought in a student teacher, who towards the end of class while teacher was reviewing with everyone else, would sit with us and explain the concept more in depth and in different ways. She had the time to think about how to approach it and give us individual attention. If it wasn't for that student teacher, I very possibly would have flunked that class. Instead I wound up with a B overall, I remeber it clearly lol!

Educational funding is one of the number one things the government needs to invest it, as well as environmental welfare. This country will not have a good future if our kids are undereducated and living in horrid conditions that could have been prevented with  proper care.

littlemascara
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:06 PM

god yes class size matters.  My DD goes to the most highly rated HS in Jeffco, one of the best in the state.  Thanks to tax cuts, all first year teachers were let go.  Most of her classes, even as a senior, have well over 35 students.  Many students don't have a DESK.  They have a chair and get to use their lap.  That's condusive to learning, and it's first come first served if you get a desk, so maybe that's incentive to make it to class in Romeny's opinion?

On the other end of the spectrum, my son goes to a small alternative school in Jeffco and class size is rarely over 15 students, usually 8-12.  They have 60 students total.  It's not a school model that every kid would love, but there's a lot to be said about being noticed, not being able to hide in the back behind 34 other kids and knowing that if you don't complete a report or reading, etc., you have let the whole class down because you are expected to be heard. 

I went to a small liberal arts school for that very reason.  I didn't want to be student #342 in English 101 at BU.  I'm still friends with many of my professors.  I had something very traumatic happen my junior year.  At a large university I would have been SOL on the days I needed real help.  Instead, I had a personal relationship with my professors and they were able to not only guide me through what happened, but give me some wiggle room when I needed it. 

I'm tired of hearing "I'm not paying for public schools. I don't have a kid there."  Well, good luck when you need a DR or lawyer or anything if we can't even get kids out of high school with a decent education.  You can have the smartest, most well educated parents at home... but if you go to a school with no resources, how much difference does it make that mom graduated Magna Cum Laude at Stanford? And what about intelligent, motivated kids who for whatever reason don't have a perfect family life? That's just too bad for them, and how dare they dream bigger? That's FAILING OUR KIDS.

lazyd
by Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 4:29 PM

YES class size does matter.  My daughter is switching schools to an "alternative" school so he doesnt have to deal with the 30+ kids she has in each class.  BUT we cant keep on blaming ANY president.  Presidents only have so much power, its the senate and congress that are making the decisions!  But we just want to keep blaming just one person, is the government as a WHOLE that has destroyed this economy.

Aleta775
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Before I became a SAHM, I was a middle school teacher. It is hard to know where to start, to even talk about how much class size matters. There are too many factors involved, and it is late. So, I will try to make it brief.

The bottom line is, YES. It matters a lot. It is not just about being able to give the students proper attention. It is also about being able to provide the proper amount of materials to a large class.

I'll give an example. We had to ration paper my second year because of budget cuts. Each teacher was given ONE case of paper to make copies of tests, assignments, quizzes, worksheets, and anything else where we needed paper. I had a total of 98 students between my three classes. I just barely had enough paper to make all of the copies I needed for the year. That was even with me trying to be creative, and making the pop quizzes on a half sheet of paper. If we needed more paper, we had to purchase it out of own pocket. It was just one more irritating thing that we had to endure.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)