Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Colorado Moms Colorado Moms

Debatable

Posted by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 12:00 PM
  • 27 Replies

Denver is host to the first Presidential Debate on October 3rd. This means two things. One, Denver and University of Denver will be an important piece of history. Two, trying to drive, dine or do anything anywhere near the area will be chaotic at best...

I am excited because I get to be at the Debate Fest, which is basically a gathering/watch party in the next hall at DU. For someone who loves our political process, this is akin to winning Willy Wonka's golden ticket. Minus the lickable wallpaper or creepy Gene Wilder.

Soooo, the debates. Presidential Debates tend to be late in the election process, and are geared towards appealing to the undecided voter. (Yes, I know this is a lot of effort to try to make Joseph Lieberman pick a candidate, but...) Debates are usually centered around the most controversial topics of the election, so we should see plenty packed into this first debate. Economy, women's rights, healthcare, jobs, world politics- they are all fair game.

The format of the debate can vary. Some debates are kept strictly in check with a journalist panel of monitors asking questions. Other debates bring questions straight from the people in the audience. A coin toss typically decides the first answerer, and each candidate gets two minutes to answer a question. His opponent then gets one minute to answer or rebut. Closing statements can be made, which usually provide sixty plus million viewers a glimpse into what each candidate says or thinks.

Debates can make or break an election. Even those of us who weren't alive have probably seen Nixon's disastrous debate against Kennedy. Nervous in front of the cameras, Nixon stammered and sweated and hemmed and hawed and looked uncomfortable at the thought of being president. George H. W. Bush kept glancing at his watch, giving the impression that he had somewhere more important to be. It took days to undo that damage, and Bush lost momentum even with damage control. Clinton was able to grab control and woo voters with his charm.

Presidential Debates matter, and we are beyond lucky to be a part of one.

If you could ask President Obama a question at a debate, what would you ask? If you could ask Mitt Romney a question next Wednesday, what would you ask?

by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 12:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Greekmama21
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 12:23 PM
1 mom liked this

I am hoping because Gary Johnson is suing he will be allowed in the debates. 

I would ask Barack Obama why he said he wasn't going to raid dispensaries in states with legalized marijuana for medicinal purposes but raided them anyway. 

I would ask Mitt Romney what his goal in reducing the deficit would be percentage wise. 

I would HOPE to ask Gary Johnson how many vetoes he thinks he would have to do. 

everydayjill
by Robyn on Sep. 25, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Quoting Greekmama21:

I would ask Barack Obama why he said he wasn't going to raid dispensaries in states with legalized marijuana for medicinal purposes but raided them anyway. 

I would ask Mitt Romney what his goal in reducing the deficit would be percentage wise. 

Good questions. I am having a hard time narrowing down, especially since you added Johnson into the mix. Do you know of any other third party candidates in recent years who have been in the debates besides Perot?

Greekmama21
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Quoting everydayjill:

Quoting Greekmama21:

Good questions. I am having a hard time narrowing down, especially since you added Johnson into the mix. Do you know of any other third party candidates in recent years who have been in the debates besides Perot?

I believe Nader was in a few but not all when he ran for the Green Party. 

everydayjill
by Robyn on Sep. 25, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Quoting Greekmama21:

Quoting everydayjill:

Quoting Greekmama21:

I believe Nader was in a few but not all when he ran for the Green Party. 

I forgot about Nader- I think you are correct!

countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Sep. 25, 2012 at 9:10 PM

I am looking forward to listening to the debates.  I don't know what questions I would ask though, lol. 

kirbymom
by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 11:08 AM

I would ask each candidate how many legislative law proposals do they themselves plan on putting before Congress?  

How willing are these candidatesgoing to be, to actually work with each party to make things happen on Capitol Hill? 

How much are they willing to sacrifice, to be able to create what America NEEDS?

mrgetinold
by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 12:06 PM
Why should i a middle class stay at home mom of two, i hear ads of your and then the next ad is your opponet bashing you after you just bash his ideas, so it just goes back and forth! And then the all important i approve this message,i m pretty sick of both sides! Tell me why you should earn and deserve my precious vote?
midgeend
by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 12:42 PM

I would ask what either of them has in store for Nuclear Proliferation.  I'm tired of the nukes. 

Threes.Company
by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 1:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I would ask Mitt for more detailed information on his tax plans...  He's been a bit vague about what he plans on doing.

wulfeyes05
by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 1:21 PM
2 moms liked this

Mashed potatoes and gravy or creamed corn?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN