Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Colorado Moms Colorado Moms

Would you let your kids get into a dangerous sport?

Posted by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 1:04 PM
  • 22 Replies

If your child came to you and asked to do a dangerous sport like archery or shooting, would you let them? How old do you think a child would have to be to get into a sport like that? 

by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 1:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
eema.gray
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Archery is dangerous?  REally?

The range I go to has a weekend shooting club for kids starting at age 8.  Honestly, i've never seen anything that approaches dangerous at THe Archery Hut.  :-)

In fact, my kids are clamoring to start archery themselves but they just don't quite have the strength (draw weight) or arm length (draw length) to start just yet.

ETA:  my kids also want to shoot.  That's probably because of family interests and business.  I think that with both archery and shooting, the key is making sure the child understands basic safety rules and has enough maturity to obey those rules in any context.  To me, archery and shooting are A LOT less dangerous than cheerleading, football, and soccar.  In the Atlanta Olympics ('96), the gold medalist in the trap shooting event was an 18 year old american girl who started shooting when she was six or eight years old.  Most responsible firearms owners say that between six and eight years of age is the earliest to introduce a child to shooting.

"I am only one, but I am still one; I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do." ~~ Edward Everett Hale 1822-1909
Bradensmommy719
by Anji on Oct. 7, 2012 at 1:49 PM
As long as they know the safty and the rules I see no issues with it. Hunny wants son to take his hunter safty course as soon as he can.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
scurnes
by Sara on Oct. 7, 2012 at 1:50 PM
1 mom liked this
Shooting I don't mind cause you can really teach safety.

We won't let Joshua play football. There are way too many head injuries.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Oct. 7, 2012 at 1:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Yep.  My older boys already shoot bb guns and probably this next year are taking an archery class through the rec center.  My oldest has done the mutton busting at the fair and although I secretly hope they don't take up bull or bronc riding we are around the rodeo enough that they may. 

HKing01
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 2:26 PM
1 mom liked this
My children already have guns we target practice with. I plan to get them in the 4H shooting club when they're old enough. Archery is something our family is into also and we plan to get them involved in it too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heydooney
by Danielle on Oct. 7, 2012 at 4:43 PM
1 mom liked this

as long as he is responsible and really understands safety and precautions. not at his age, not now. my oldest is only 5.

Babybear89
by Gracey on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:23 PM

sure why not.  as long as she is enrolled and completes a saftey course i see no problem with it. 

Babybear89
by Gracey on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:24 PM

as far as age what ever the requirements for a saftey course

mjimaging
by Melissa on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:30 PM
Archery maybe. We don't do guns in our house. We have let DD play hockey and she's done karate. DS wants to play hockey too. As far as archery, as soon as they are capable and mature. Other sports, I'd have DS in hockey already if we had a rink. He's three. DD was in hockey at 6.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IBNeaters
by Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:51 AM

I thought you were going to ask about football or rugby or something like that!  I would never let my son learn how to shoot as I can't stand guns, but I've had archery lessons and I loved it.  One of the girls in my class was being an idiot however and wasn't paying attention to the rules and just wasn't really paying attention and shot someone in the calf.  Luckily, the other girl didn't get more seriously hurt.  I would just say for anything, you really need to teach your kids to listen to the leader and not get caught up with those who are there to cause trouble.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)