Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Colorado Moms Colorado Moms

Your Daily Recipe, 9 Oct (Thanksgiving)

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:31 AM
  • 10 Replies

This one is different.  Instead of me posting a recipe, I want yours.  

What is your single favorite Thanksgiving recipe?

"I am only one, but I am still one; I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do." ~~ Edward Everett Hale 1822-1909
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
eema.gray
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:36 AM

I love roast goose.  We started a new tradition last year of serving goose instead of turkey.

Once the goose is thawed, use pliers to remove any pin feathers still in the skin.  Prick lightly all over, piercing the skin but not the meat.  This allows the fat under the skin to render out, leaving lean meat on the bones and about a quart of goose fat (great for cooking!) in the pan.  Rub all over with salt.  Put an apple in the cavity (to soak up goose fat, this apple will inedible by the time the goose is done).  Remove visible lumps of fat from around the cavity opening (save and render out for another cup or so of goose fat).

Preheat oven to 450 F.  Roast goose for 15 minutes at 450, then turn down to 350 and cook until bird is done, an hour to 2 hours based on weight (use the same tables as for turkey).  Allow to rest for 15 minutes before serving; it's best to carve the bird in the kitchen and bring the meat to the table as goose joints are much tighter than on a turkey and you really don't want your splended goose to go flying across the table!

Babybear89
by Gracey on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:58 AM

umm my favorite food for thanksgiving is stuffing

Greekmama21
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:48 AM
1 mom liked this

We don't do traditional Thanksgiving dinners, we do lobster becuase we eat turkey year round... Ironically, last year I bought two turkeys in November which were organic and on sale at Whole Foods, I thought I could use them the throughout the year. Mid November rolled around and the NICU ran out of room to store all of the milk I had frozen... So I had to start storing it at home, both of the turkeys had to be thawed and consumed by early December. I don't think I can stand the thought of a turkey now. I'm already nauseous just thinking about it.... 

I do love green bean almondine. 

eema.gray
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:50 AM

We don't do lobster because of kashrut but that's an awesome tradition.  :-)  I've heard of Italian-American families whose centerpiece dish is lasagna.  :-)  :-)

Quoting Greekmama21:

We don't do traditional Thanksgiving dinners, we do lobster becuase we eat turkey year round... Ironically, last year I bought two turkeys in November which were organic and on sale at Whole Foods, I thought I could use them the throughout the year. Mid November rolled around and the NICU ran out of room to store all of the milk I had frozen... So I had to start storing it at home, both of the turkeys had to be thawed and consumed by early December. I don't think I can stand the thought of a turkey now. I'm already nauseous just thinking about it.... 

I do love green bean almondine. 

"I am only one, but I am still one; I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do." ~~ Edward Everett Hale 1822-1909
Bradensmommy719
by Anji on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:05 PM
1 mom liked this
I love stuffing but I love.making pumpkin pie with fresh pumpkin.
I will have to pull out my recipe later. ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heydooney
by Danielle on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:28 PM
1 mom liked this

My aunt makes broccoli rice in the crock pot. It disappears every year. Sometimes I don't get any!

eema.gray
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Do you know her recipe?  That sounds amazing!

Quoting heydooney:

My aunt makes broccoli rice in the crock pot. It disappears every year. Sometimes I don't get any!

heydooney
by Danielle on Oct. 9, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Aha! Found it in my messages on facebook! I knew I had it somewhere because I remember asking her for it and getting it but I didn't know if it was email or fb.

Quote:

Here is your recipe for BROCCOLII RICE CASSEROLE...

Recipe is for the amount she makes in crock pot you can cut in half if wanted...

Ingredients you need.
Two Sticks of butter
Celery - 4 -6 stalks chopped
One large onion or two medium onions (White Onion or Sweet Onion)

1 can of Cream of Mushroom soup
1 Can of Cream of Celery Soup
1 Large box of Velveeta Cheese unless your cutting recipe in half..
1 Large Bag of Frozen Brocolli
1 Large Can of Mushrooms, chopped.

In a dutch oven/large pot melt two sticks of butter along with 1 large or two medium onions chopped and 4 to 6 stalks of celery chopped and one large can of mushrooms saute on low to medium until the onion and celery are sauteed nicely.

Lower the heat and add one can of cream of celery and one can of cream of mushroom soup and 1 1/2 cups of instant rice and one large block of Velveeta cheese that is chopped up into small squares to melt in pan easier. Then add one large bag of frozen chopped broccoli. Depending on how much your making.

stove top till heated through then to crock pot on low till ready to eat. Probably in crock pot at least two hours..

If you make half size order I would do 1 can of cream of mushroom or just one can of cream of celery... not both... But up to you..

Quoting eema.gray:

Quoting heydooney:

eema.gray
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Hmmmmmmm  :-)

I'll have to tinker with that just a touch but wow that sounds good!

Quoting heydooney:

Aha! Found it in my messages on facebook! I knew I had it somewhere because I remember asking her for it and getting it but I didn't know if it was email or fb.

Quote:

Here is your recipe for BROCCOLII RICE CASSEROLE...

Recipe is for the amount she makes in crock pot you can cut in half if wanted...

Ingredients you need.
Two Sticks of butter
Celery - 4 -6 stalks chopped
One large onion or two medium onions (White Onion or Sweet Onion)

1 can of Cream of Mushroom soup
1 Can of Cream of Celery Soup
1 Large box of Velveeta Cheese unless your cutting recipe in half..
1 Large Bag of Frozen Brocolli
1 Large Can of Mushrooms, chopped.

In a dutch oven/large pot melt two sticks of butter along with 1 large or two medium onions chopped and 4 to 6 stalks of celery chopped and one large can of mushrooms saute on low to medium until the onion and celery are sauteed nicely.

Lower the heat and add one can of cream of celery and one can of cream of mushroom soup and 1 1/2 cups of instant rice and one large block of Velveeta cheese that is chopped up into small squares to melt in pan easier. Then add one large bag of frozen chopped broccoli. Depending on how much your making.

stove top till heated through then to crock pot on low till ready to eat. Probably in crock pot at least two hours..

If you make half size order I would do 1 can of cream of mushroom or just one can of cream of celery... not both... But up to you..

Quoting eema.gray:

Quoting heydooney:

Bradensmommy719
by Anji on Oct. 9, 2012 at 4:18 PM
2 moms liked this
Pumpkin pie
2cups pumpkin (15 oz can if you prefer)
1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
2 eggs
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 salt
9in unbaked pie crust

Preheat oven to 425°f
in large bowl whisk pumpkin, sweetened condensed milk, eggs, spices and salt. (I used my kitchen aid mixer with the whisk attarchment, my grandma did it by hand doesn't make a difference)
Pour in to crust
Bake 15 minutes
reduce oven to 350°f continue baking 35-40 minutes (or until knife entered comes out clean)
Cool garnish as needed and they say store in the fridge but I didn't
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)