Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Colorado Moms Colorado Moms

it seems based on evidence from what other children and parents have reported there is an active sexual predator at work where Jessica was taken.  God that is terrifying. 

Have you talked to your kids about this, or have they asked?  Have you changed anything, like can they walk to school or a friend's house alone? 

It's SO disturbing that the body found isn't even intact enouugh to identify, and heartbreaking.  God I'm heartbroken for Jessica's family and how scared must that whole community feel? 

How do you talk to your kids about safety without scaring the crap out of them?  My kids are teens, and while we still have talks about safety, they are generaly focused on other things (peers, date raape, drugs, drinking etc).  I know when they were little, that was very hard to talk about how to stay safe without making them feel the bad guys were everywhere.  Mainly I told them that adults don't ask kids for help, if they can find a woman, ask her for help and no matter what the threat, scream, make noise and if the worst case scenario happens, it's better to cause a car accident than get driven off to god knows where if they can.

what are you telling your kids, if anything?

by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:17 AM
Replies (11-12):
countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Oct. 12, 2012 at 3:21 PM

My kids don't know about this case because I feel they are too young to know the details but we have been talking to them more and more lately to make sure they understand about being safe, not talking to strangers, not believing things like a lost dog or getting candy from somebody, etc.  We live really far from where all of this happened but we are aware that even in a small town things like this can happen so we try to be very careful.

flowerfunleah
by Leah on Oct. 16, 2012 at 10:29 AM

DD is too young to know whats going on but the story really is very very sad.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN