Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Read all about it...

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 4:00 AM
  • 10 Replies

Not a great or happy news week, friends...

Jessica Ridgeway is still missing, and police are tight-lipped about the body found in a nearby park. It seems like there is a collective prayer among the mamas here that the body will not be Jessica's, while recognizing that the body is someone's loved one. Walmart didn't stand a chance with a local Denver neighborhood. 'Stop the Supercenter' signs can come down in yards, only to be feverishly replaced with political signs. The Downtown area is coming to a standstill for the Great American Beer Festival, both for those participating and for those of us drooling on the sidelines. Colrado Springs announced that they might actually get to hire more firefighters and police officers in 2013, another sign that the economy might be on the up and up.

Nationally- there may have been an itty bitty little debate on Thursday night? I'm not sure yet, I tivo it, sit back and watch all of the social media shouting, and then watch the real thing... US Postal Service is rasing rates by a penny- I think they are the only reason the penny is still in circulation. Allegations of doping by Lance Armstrong were laid wide open by the USADA, and everyone still seemed whiny and vindictive except for that darn George Hincapie. Chris Carmichael, of our Colorado Springs and Lance's longterm coach, seems to have gone into hiding; his silence seems like the most suspect thing of all. Border agents shot and killed a sixteen-year-old on Mexican soil while chasing two suspected drug dealers- not a goodwill gesture towards Mexico by any means. The head of the Zetas, Mexico's most violent and notorious drug gang, was killed but his body promptly disappeared from the morgue (CSI Miami called and they want their storyline back).

Internationally- North Korea is pouty that they are getting no attention, so they've announced a capability to hit the continental US with a nuclear missile. Assuming they can get it further than the forty feet their last attempt went... State Deprtment admits it didn't beef up security at Libyan embassy, even though it was requested months ago. A fourteen-year-old Pakistani blogger is shot by the Taliban that she blogged against- makes me realize how petty our problems are here. The Taliban has vowed to finish the job, if she survives their first attempt. 

And that is it in a nutshell. Now, I am off to watch the VP debate. And Jon Stewart. Not necessarily in that order.

News- did I miss anything? Please share away :-)

by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 4:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Babybear89
by Gracey on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:26 AM

tfs

eema.gray
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:56 AM

You forgot to mention yesterday was the first annual International Day of the Girl.  :-)  Yeah, I didn't know either until listening to PRI mid day.  LOL

everydayjill
by Robyn on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:21 PM
Oh, I forgot!! I actually saw that when I was reading about the 14 yo old blogger. Thanks for the reminder. :-)
Virgo.Mama
by Brittney on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:21 PM
2 moms liked this

Thanks again for the roundup! Id rather read this than search through the news lol

eema.gray
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:25 PM

I like your take on why N. Korea chose this week to bluster at the US.  Again.  ;-)

Quoting everydayjill:

Oh, I forgot!! I actually saw that when I was reading about the 14 yo old blogger. Thanks for the reminder. :-)

"I am only one, but I am still one; I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do." ~~ Edward Everett Hale 1822-1909
flowerfunleah
by Leah on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:43 PM

That's really sad about Jessica :-(

I can't imagine what her parents are going through but we're right there with the other moms on cafemom hoping that the body ISN'T hers and mourning for the family that the body might belong to.

everydayjill
by Robyn on Oct. 12, 2012 at 6:24 PM
Just confirmed the body is Jessica's.
SuperWoman8
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 6:39 PM

from what I read they are pretty certain the body is hers.

Quoting flowerfunleah:

That's really sad about Jessica :-(

I can't imagine what her parents are going through but we're right there with the other moms on cafemom hoping that the body ISN'T hers and mourning for the family that the body might belong to.

countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:40 PM

I did see somewhere here on CM that today is National Pumpkin Pie day......

everydayjill
by Robyn on Oct. 13, 2012 at 3:36 PM
How did I miss pumpkin pie day?? I am a sucker for anything pumpkin, but pumpkin pie smoothies are my fave right now.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)