Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Colorado Moms Colorado Moms

annoyed

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:11 AM
  • 13 Replies
So yesterday I had my craft fair and ended up with a migraine :-/ however the migraine was the easy part of the day.

I am annoyed with people. First the people that go to the discount stores and buy jewelry and try to sell it at gross amounts. A cdollar store necklace should not be sold at $7 at a CRAFT FAIR!

Second I understand that a lot of people are on a tight budget for the holidays and some items are not for you however do not stand there and explain to us that our prices are "too high" if you don't lime what we have to offer keep walking or go to the show where you have to pay to get in.

Yes I know my prices I set them. Are they too high in my opinion no. Cost of supplies + time = not what I was asking for. If you break down the time spent on crafting we are not getting paid near enough.

The ladies I go with are very talented one makes jewelry and the other paints. Jewelry is a very popular medium right now. All the craft stores are selling you everything you need manufactured and most likely from China. My friend goes to whole sales buys from people who like her love what they do. She buys fittings that she knows will last and won't turn you green. So yes her prices are higher than the lady that has 3 full tables of junk!
Painting in its self takes time. Yes it is only an ornament or a pin but do not claim that her prices are unfair. She put a lot of to
E and hard work into painting her rather adorable items which I think she was asking too low.

And last but not least my towels are hand stitched. Do not chalk it down to a machine doing the work. I made sure none of my towels came out of china I make sure each towel is the best work I can do and I certainly not going to sell my towel for the cost I made it. I deserve the extra dollars for the hours I spent on creating such a piece. If you want a decorative towel for cheap go somewhere else where is was mass produced and at least 100 people have the same thing.

I am thankful to those that truely do believe in making their own items I saw some wonderful creations yesterday and love that people still love to show and sell their items.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Virgo.Mama
by Brittney on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:18 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree with all of this, I am so sorry people were rude to you and your friends!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sarahjz
by Sarah on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:23 PM

I'm sorry, that's a bummer.  It seems that people value hand-made items less nowadays.  I feel old for saying "nowadays," lol.

Bradensmommy719
by Anji on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:28 PM
Its soo true though! Nowadays they want everything for cheap in large quantities.

Quoting sarahjz:

I'm sorry, that's a bummer.  It seems that people value hand-made items less nowadays.  I feel old for saying "nowadays," lol.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mamasluvin
by Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:29 PM
1 mom liked this

my sentiments exactly.

I am so sorry to hear how people can be so rude...if they want cheep stuff...go to the dollar store and grab it...won't last as long

Quoting Virgo.Mama:

I agree with all of this, I am so sorry people were rude to you and your friends!!

countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:59 PM

I completely agree with you!  I can't believe somebody would go to the dollar store and buy jewelry to sell at a craft fair.  I thought it was called a craft fair because it was for handmade items.  I have often thought of trying to sell my quilts at a craft fair but I figure with the time and material I would have to charge like $100.00 or more per quilt and I see the ones people buy at like Walmart for $30.00 and it makes me think they would say the same thing at the fairs that you heard and it makes me sad.  Hugs to you.  Vent away!

Bradensmommy719
by Anji on Nov. 18, 2012 at 4:39 PM
There is a lady that sells crocheted blankets and the price on some of those are that high. I can understand that. Another lady was selling the fleece no sew blankets and she was asking $75. I thought that was high. Seeing as you can buy kits for as little as $10. Lol

Quoting countrygirlkat:

I completely agree with you!  I can't believe somebody would go to the dollar store and buy jewelry to sell at a craft fair.  I thought it was called a craft fair because it was for handmade items.  I have often thought of trying to sell my quilts at a craft fair but I figure with the time and material I would have to charge like $100.00 or more per quilt and I see the ones people buy at like Walmart for $30.00 and it makes me think they would say the same thing at the fairs that you heard and it makes me sad.  Hugs to you.  Vent away!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Wow, that is crazy.  I have done a few of those no sew fleeces and they took me a few hours probably to do.  On the other hand my quilts take me months to do!

Quoting Bradensmommy719:

There is a lady that sells crocheted blankets and the price on some of those are that high. I can understand that. Another lady was selling the fleece no sew blankets and she was asking $75. I thought that was high. Seeing as you can buy kits for as little as $10. Lol

Quoting countrygirlkat:

rocky_mtn_mama
by Amy on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Aww, I'm sorry it wasn't the best day and I hope you feel better today.

Bradensmommy719
by Anji on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:49 PM
They always show up in the afternoon got another one today. Hopefully I will get a great night sleep tonight since bran is home for.the night. Than 3 days and he is.off for 4!

Thank you :-)

Quoting rocky_mtn_mama:

Aww, I'm sorry it wasn't the best day and I hope you feel better today.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heydooney
by Danielle on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:35 PM

That's really annoying. Sorry you had to deal with that. Another one that bothered me was they'd pick something up, look it over, maybe even compliment you on it. Then they'd put it down, turn to the person they were with and say "I could make that."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)