• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bills, Bills, Bills (but not really)

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:57 PM
  • 12 Replies

I love (and by love I meanot really) how we have ALL evolved to electronic communication with our greeting cards, personal letters (email), advertisments (holy mother of god SPAM!), and even personal threats (Fb! actually, I never get those, but you get what I mean) but the one thing that fills our mailboxes all year long and has our mailmen with a job is paper bills.

Sure, there is paperless billing, but imo that's just another excuse for corporate companies to blame YOU (the user) for THEIR electronic blunders. That all too familiar phrase of "There's nothing I can do." or "That's our policy" is just more probable to rear it's ugly little head and blame the consumer for the blunders of many. 

I mean, where did customer service go?!

It also doesn't help that postage is an arm and a leg either. I mean, what is it now, 50cents for a stamp?! Since when do we have to budget just to send our Christmas cards (not actually buying them, that's an entirely different budget) and if you send anything other than a flat piece of paper it's almost over a dollar if not more! Last year I spent $20 just trying to send my musical christmas cards. 

I'm half tempted to be that crazy friend that responds to all her fb status updates with a hand written, hand addressed, through the post comment in reply JUST for some personal REAL time. 

I believe that penmanship has also suffered. 

Imagine if cafemom was done via newsletter or post lol what would that be??

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
heydooney
by Danielle on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:31 PM

I have my son write and send actual letters. I think it's a dying art. My great aunt sent me (and my boys each) a handwritten letter just a few short weeks before she was killed in a car accident. I treasure that letter, and I will make sure to keep theirs for them. I just don't think a facebook post or email would have meant the same.

flowerfunleah
by Leah on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Aw, I'm glad you guy have that!  

How are you and the family doing btw? How's your trip going?

Quoting heydooney:

I have my son write and send actual letters. I think it's a dying art. My great aunt sent me (and my boys each) a handwritten letter just a few short weeks before she was killed in a car accident. I treasure that letter, and I will make sure to keep theirs for them. I just don't think a facebook post or email would have meant the same.

heydooney
by Danielle on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Ohhh the visitation was so hard! It was Sunday afternoon. My parents always went to see them on Sunday afternoons and so we were planning on going too. I kept saying "we were supposed to visit them today, not go to their visitation!"

I met my aunt Adele's sister. She looks like her and sounds like her and laughs like her. It was so painful.

LaVerne looked just like himself, despite his many many injuries. The car hit directly on his side at 65 mph and he just didn't have a chance. They did such a good job with him, and they were at first saying we may want to have closed caskets. Adele was too serious, I've never seen her frown. And her lipstick was too pale. She always had bright red lipstick on, and all the children always ran around with her lip marks on their cheeks or foreheads. I will miss that so much.

Alas, I've hijacked the post...

Quoting flowerfunleah:

Quoting heydooney:

flowerfunleah
by Leah on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Aw, you can hold my post hostage any day! Any ransom requests?!?!

I'm sorry it's been hard. The only death I've ever experienced was my dads and it was about 7days before Dd was born so I wasn't able to go to his memorial. I'm a little glad I didn't though, we were close! I just don't do odd situations well. 

Quoting heydooney:

Ohhh the visitation was so hard! It was Sunday afternoon. My parents always went to see them on Sunday afternoons and so we were planning on going too. I kept saying "we were supposed to visit them today, not go to their visitation!"

I met my aunt Adele's sister. She looks like her and sounds like her and laughs like her. It was so painful.

LaVerne looked just like himself, despite his many many injuries. The car hit directly on his side at 65 mph and he just didn't have a chance. They did such a good job with him, and they were at first saying we may want to have closed caskets. Adele was too serious, I've never seen her frown. And her lipstick was too pale. She always had bright red lipstick on, and all the children always ran around with her lip marks on their cheeks or foreheads. I will miss that so much.

Quoting flowerfunleah:

Quoting heydooney:

heydooney
by Danielle on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:59 PM

I'll tell you what, I never ever ever want to see my big tough brother cry again.

I almost lost my mom 8 days before my first was born. She had a major heart attack and this specific type most people don't survive. I am so thankful she pulled through, I would be so lost without her. There was not a dry eye in the room when she held her newborn first grandson for the first time.

Quoting flowerfunleah:

Aw, you can hold my post hostage any day! Any ransom requests?!?!

I'm sorry it's been hard. The only death I've ever experienced was my dads and it was about 7days before Dd was born so I wasn't able to go to his memorial. I'm a little glad I didn't though, we were close! I just don't do odd situations well. 

Quoting heydooney:

Quoting flowerfunleah:

Quoting heydooney:

countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:29 PM

You are on a role today, lol.  I do agree that it is a dying art and I still have my kids send letters to their grand parents. 

flowerfunleah
by Leah on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:56 PM

And all without that little letter between J & L lol 

The post office gives me the crazies! O_o

Quoting countrygirlkat:

You are on a role today, lol.  I do agree that it is a dying art and I still have my kids send letters to their grand parents. 

sarahjz
by Sarah on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Stamps cost 50 cents?  Yikes.  I buy the forever ones....never pay attention to how much they are....

mjimaging
by Melissa on Dec. 20, 2012 at 12:11 PM
I'm cheap and like the electronic age. I grew up on computers. It's not to say that a select few didn't get real cards. We printed ten and have mailed all but four. We aren't sure who they are going to quite yet. I know it's getting late but oh well. We are behind.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
flowerfunleah
by Leah on Dec. 20, 2012 at 12:14 PM

How much are they and how many do you get in a roll?

Quoting sarahjz:

Stamps cost 50 cents?  Yikes.  I buy the forever ones....never pay attention to how much they are....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)