Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Colorado Moms Colorado Moms

Keep your pets safe!

Posted by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 2:19 PM
  • 8 Replies

Coyote breeding season is here!

Coyote kills Lakewood family's dog

LAKEWOOD, Colo. - Breeding season is here for coyotes and experts say they're as dangerous as ever. It is a lesson a Lakewood family learned Saturday.

"I don't think Buster had a chance," said Jeff Magaw.

Magaw's dachshund was killed by a coyote that jumped the fence outside his home. Magaw and his fiancée had just let the dog outside to play. When Buster didn't come back inside after half an hour like usual they knew something was wrong.

Magaw later found a trail of blood across the street from his home and found the dog's remains.

"I thought because he was fenced in that he was protected," Magaw told 7NEWS. "You don't think that during the middle of the day that we're putting them in harm by having them outside."

Wildlife officials said January and February are months that coyotes breed and will become more aggressive.

"We need to change some of our behaviors a little bit to make sure that we're maintaining a healthy line between us and these animals," said Jennifer Churchill with the Colorado Department of Parks and Wildlife.

Churchill said coyotes have become increasingly accustomed to humans in Colorado and no longer have a fear of humans. It's the reason she said people need to take precautions, especially this time of the year.

"They're going to get a little more territorial as they start to get together and figure out where they're going to breed and den to raise their pups," Churchill said.

Experts recommend people keep their dogs on leashes when outside for protection. Also, scare away any coyotes that may show up in neighborhoods.

"We really need to put that natural fear back in our coyotes in order for us to co-exist," Churchill said.

Jeff Magaw and his fiancée now want everyone to know the dangers coyotes pose.

"I don't want to see it happen to anybody else," Magaw said. "I just want people to be aware and know that this thing happens more often than not."

by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 2:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
scurnes
by Sara on Jan. 7, 2013 at 2:45 PM
We have a bunch of them by us. Last summer I saw one sitting on the hill behind our house watching our dogs.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
heydooney
by Danielle on Jan. 7, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Aw :( we have an outside cat who I worry about. Hopefully we live in a residential enough neighborhood the coyotes will leave this area alone.

Virgo.Mama
by Brittney on Jan. 7, 2013 at 4:18 PM
This is kinda scary....ive never seen one here in town but I'm not doubting they could come in.
Babybear89
by Gracey on Jan. 7, 2013 at 10:20 PM

how sad

flowerfunleah
by Leah on Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:54 PM

omg tfs! Those poor people!

mjimaging
by Melissa on Jan. 8, 2013 at 1:06 AM
We are kind of out in the country. Not totally but enough. I hope they stay away.
countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Jan. 8, 2013 at 4:35 PM
While we do keep an eye out for coyotes, the moutain lions are what worries us the most here.
sarahjz
by Sarah on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:20 AM

yikes.  sad.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)