Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Colorado Moms Colorado Moms

I need recipes! Stat!

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:06 AM
  • 15 Replies

After a long break I signed up for a Bountiful Basket again, and now I need to figure out what to do with the following:

1 head of cauliflower (will probably just cut it up and eat it all myself, but a nice cheesy cauliflower soup sounds amaaaazing)

2 giant! sweet potatoes

2 bunches of radishes - i'm not a fan of radishes really.

by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nikki554
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:10 AM
1 mom liked this

Cauliflower makes a delicious mashed potato. Boil the cauliflower, beat and add small amount of butter and milk salt and pepper! My kids love it!

heydooney
by Danielle on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Does it taste like mashed potato? My kids won't eat "taties"

Quoting nikki554:

Cauliflower makes a delicious mashed potato. Boil the cauliflower, beat and add small amount of butter and milk salt and pepper! My kids love it!

nikki554
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:22 AM

It has the consistency of mashed potatoes, but it doesnt taste like mashed potatoes. they really do not taste much like califlower eiter. They are very unique, but really good. I always use this instead of potatoes.

Quoting heydooney:

Quoting nikki554:

heydooney
by Danielle on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Cool! I will try that. How long do you boil it?

Quoting nikki554:

It has the consistency of mashed potatoes, but it doesnt taste like mashed potatoes. they really do not taste much like califlower eiter. They are very unique, but really good. I always use this instead of potatoes.

Quoting heydooney:

Quoting nikki554:

flowerfunleah
by Leah on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:27 AM

You could always make a cauliflower pizza crust! It's lighter but when  you add your pizza toppings children are getting vegetables and they don't even know it!

Cauliflower Pizza Crust

1 cup cooked, riced cauliflower (simply shred in a cheese grater )
1 egg
1 cup mozzarella cheese
Pizza herbs: 1/2 tsp fennel, 1 tsp oregano, 2 tsp parsley
(The last three ingredients can be changed for your favorite pizza-type herbs)

Preheat oven to 450ºF/232ºC. Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick spray (or grease with some coconut/olive/whatever oil). In a medium bowl, combine cauliflower, egg and mozzarella. Press evenly on the pan. Sprinkle evenly with pizza herbs. Bake for 12-15 minutes (15-20 minutes if you double the recipe). Remove the pan from the oven. To the crust, add sauce, then toppings and cheese. Place under a grill/broiler at high heat just until cheese is melted.

flowerfunleah
by Leah on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Sweet potato french fries are my favorite!

OR 

Sweet Potato Brownies

Sweet Potato Brownies

INGREDIENTS

Cake
  • 1 ripe avocado
    localoffersIcon
  • 1 cup sweet potato puree*
  • ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
  • ¼ cup date paste
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 2 eggs
  • ½ cup spelt flour
  • ½ cup cocoa powder
  • ½ tsp sea salt
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • ½ cup walnuts
  • Icing
  • ¼ cup date paste
  • ¼ cup hazelnut butter
  • ½ cup fat free plain Greek Yogurt
    localoffersIcon
  • ¼ cup cocoa powder
  • 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
  • 3 scoops vanilla flavored Whey Protein powder

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Preheat your oven to 375F. Spray a 9” square baking pan with cooking spray and line pan with parchment paper, leaving enough extra to extend over the sides.
  2. In the bowl of your food processor, combine avocado, sweet potato puree, unsweetened applesauce, date paste, vanilla and eggs and process until smooth and creamy.
  3. In a large mixing bowl, mix together with a whisk the flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking soda.
  4. Add sweet potato mixture and mix with a rubber spatula until well combined.
  5. Fold in walnuts and transfer to your prepared pan. Spread batter evenly and bake for approximately 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out almost clean.
  6. Set brownies on a wire rack to cool for 15-20 minutes.
  7. While brownies are cooling, prepare the icing by adding all the ingredients to the bowl of your food processor and process until smooth and creamy.
  8. Pour over warm brownies and spread evenly with a spatula.
  9. Leave the brownies on the wire rack until they reach room temperature then transfer to the fridge until completely cool. Cut into 12 squares.
flowerfunleah
by Leah on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Roasted Radishes with soy sauce and sesame seeds

Roasted Radishes Recipe with Soy Sauce and Toasted Sesame Seed

Roasted Radishes with Soy Sauce and Toasted Sesame Seed

(Makes 3-4 servings, recipe only slightly adapted fromVegetables Every Day by Jack Bishop.)

Ingredients:
20 medium radishes, trimmed and cut into fourths (use all red, or a mixture of red and white)
1 1/2 T roasted peanut oil
1-2 T soy sauce (I used about 1 1/2 T)
2 green onions (scallions) sliced thin
1 T sesame seeds, toasted in a dry pan

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 425 F. Wash radishes, trim ends, peel if needed, and cut into same size pieces. I cut the white icicle radishes into diagonal pieces, and the red ones into half or fourths, depending on how big they were. Cut green onions into thin slices.

Toss radishes with peanut oil, then roast about 20 minutes, stirring one or two times. When radishes are tender and starting to brown, remove from oven, toss with soy sauce to coat and mix in green onion slices. Put back in oven and roast about 5 minutes more.

During final five minutes roasting time, put the sesame seed in a dry pan and toast over hot stove for about 2 minutes, or until starting to brown. Remove radishes from oven, place in serving bowl and sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds. Serve hot.
nikki554
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:39 AM

until they are soft and easily able to pierce. 

Quoting heydooney:

Cool! I will try that. How long do you boil it?

Quoting nikki554:

Quoting heydooney:

Quoting nikki554:

Until they are soft and easily abl

Momwithagap
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Sweet potato pie. 

For cauliflower you can cut it up and boil it til semi soft, in a pan melt some butter with bread crumbs and drizzle over the califlower. My daughter loves it. 

Not sure about radishes, eat them with a salad.

mjimaging
by Melissa on Feb. 2, 2013 at 3:31 PM
I am no help. I don't eat or prepare any of those things.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)