Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Colorado Moms Colorado Moms

My poor car :-((

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:37 PM
  • 10 Replies

So you ladies remember the other week about the lady who hit my car as she was backing out?

Tamara

Well I still haven't been able to get ahold of her but I was able to get ahold of her fiance, the owner of the car, and he was all like that he wants to pay for the tailight in cash and have it done at HIS bodyshop here in Pueblo, but there's a couple of problems with that.

1) I'm only IN Pueblo once a week now and I need my car that day, I can't just drop it off to have it fixed.

2) I'd rather MY trusted mechanic fix the tailight, not some guy I've never met.

3) Sure my car is old but it's MY car and the only one I have.

4) He wants to buy some used tailight and I want my new tailight replaced with new-ness.

Anyway, I talked the police officer of campus security here (kind of a scary guy, nice, but scary) and he said that the only way that i'm gonna get it fixed the way I want to have it fixed is for him to file the official report and go through the guys insurance. I was kind of trying to avoid that because the girl DID leave after hitting my car and I think that if the witness hadn't left a note on my windshield, she would have never reported it like she "said" she was going to. But because I'm too nice, I don't want her to get charged with a hit and run, I just want them to fix the tailight.

So he's like looking up their information and lo and behold, their insurance expired on the 17th, she hit my car on the 13th so they had it when she hit my car but we don't know if they renewed it or not since then.

Fml.

I'm not gonna take this guy to civil court over a little tailight, that's just ridiculous, but damn if I don't want my car fixed here by someone I don't know, kwim?

I'm not gonna worry about it though. I'm gonna go pick up the report later on today and then call his insurance anyway to figure out what the dealio is. Either way, I saw her car in the parking lot earlier today and if they're insurance IS expired, they're gonna get in trouble for driving it on such. But that's not my dealio.

Ugh, what do you ladies think I should do? Do you think I should let him pay for it and have it fixed here in Pueblo if their insurance is expired?

Or do you think I should go through legal channels and have it fixed that way?

by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bradensmommy719
by Anji on Feb. 27, 2013 at 3:45 PM
2 moms liked this
I would get it fixed the way you want. It is scetchy to have some stranger have your car to get it fixed. Kwim? Go through the insurance if that screws them that's their fault not yours. You didn't ask for her to back in to you and she should take responsibility.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TristanMitchael
by Kristina on Feb. 27, 2013 at 3:59 PM
That's a tough one. I'd probably let them fix it and pay for it out of pocket but on the other hand I'd be rather pissed she hit it and ran so I probably would of filed a report then because I would of been pissed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JeepGirl5280
by Kat on Feb. 27, 2013 at 4:37 PM
1 mom liked this

File the report and call your insurance AND their insurance to file a claim.  It's crap that the guy is trying to strongarm you into using the mechanic of HIS choice.  Nope.  Wrong answer.  Go through the insurance.  If the incident was when they still had insurance then they should pay for it.  And how do you know from just seeing her car that her insurance is expired?  I don't post my insurance card on my windshield...it's in the glove compartment and in my wallet....

scurnes
by Sara on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:37 PM
I think I would file a report. You never know what can happen if he does it himself.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
flowerfunleah
by Leah on Feb. 27, 2013 at 6:48 PM

lol the campus police officer told me while we were talking.

Quoting JeepGirl5280:

File the report and call your insurance AND their insurance to file a claim.  It's crap that the guy is trying to strongarm you into using the mechanic of HIS choice.  Nope.  Wrong answer.  Go through the insurance.  If the incident was when they still had insurance then they should pay for it.  And how do you know from just seeing her car that her insurance is expired?  I don't post my insurance card on my windshield...it's in the glove compartment and in my wallet....

flowerfunleah
by Leah on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:41 AM
1 mom liked this

I ended up filing the report and reporting it to insurance, I'm sure he's super pissed with me now though but I found it was the easiest way for all parties involved to get everything taken care of in a quick manner.

Quoting TristanMitchael:

That's a tough one. I'd probably let them fix it and pay for it out of pocket but on the other hand I'd be rather pissed she hit it and ran so I probably would of filed a report then because I would of been pissed.

TristanMitchael
by Kristina on Feb. 28, 2013 at 10:26 AM
That's probably best. It sounds like a shady situation all around.

Quoting flowerfunleah:

I ended up filing the report and reporting it to insurance, I'm sure he's super pissed with me now though but I found it was the easiest way for all parties involved to get everything taken care of in a quick manner.

Quoting TristanMitchael:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Sounds like you did the best thing.  I think they were trying to get out of it from the start and the eye-witness is the only thing that messed up their plans. 

flowerfunleah
by Leah on Feb. 28, 2013 at 3:15 PM

You're probably right. My husband says I'm too nice, I suppose he's right, I just immediately assume the best in people.

Quoting countrygirlkat:

Sounds like you did the best thing.  I think they were trying to get out of it from the start and the eye-witness is the only thing that messed up their plans. 

countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Feb. 28, 2013 at 3:25 PM
Quoting flowerfunleah:

You're probably right. My husband says I'm too nice, I suppose he's right, I just immediately assume the best in people.

Quoting countrygirlkat:

I by nature am the same way as you are in general. But becuase I am older and sooooooo much more mature then you are(okay, maybe that is just sooooo much older and maturity has nothing to do with it, lol) we have been burned a few times by trusting people so I tend to have to make myself look at things without letting my natural trust get in the way sometimes. It can be hard to do but getting burned is so much worse.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN