Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight loss help!

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 4:57 PM
  • 8 Replies
Do any of you ladies have suggestions/ advice for losing weight?? Does anything in particular work for you (supplements/workouts, etc)?? Thank you in advance for any light you can shed on this subject!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 4:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
flowerfunleah
by Leah on Mar. 8, 2013 at 5:16 PM

I'm on the mind over matter diet? Yeah, I think I am getting thinner, therefore I am. 

lol j/k (sort of O_o)

I really think your mind has a lot to play on it. My advice is to not stress about it, stress equals weight gain, weight gain equals more stress, etc etc, it's a vicious cycle.

I take a very laid back attitude towards weight loss. Now that I know what the machines at a gym do (before I was totally overwhelmed and really just avoided things that confuse me) I do a simple workout;

I usually eat some protein like a protein bar or protein shake. I prefer the bar because the shakes are gross.

Pre-workout stretches.

Arms first (cause they get tired the quickest) and I do twelve reps on each arm machine (but sometimes I have to break it apart and do 6 reps then and 6 reps later).

Then Leg machines with twelve reps on each machine (to give my arms a break.) My legs are my strongest feature so this is the easy part of my workout.

Then Ab machines with twelve reps on each machine (cause a certain amount of arm strength is needed to use them so it's like a double workout for my arms as well.)

Then if I have time I finish with a suuuuper short jog on the treadmill, followed by a 3 minute walk.

Then I do post workout stretches. 

Then I go home and eat some protein, like a peanut butter sandwich or some bacon!

flowerfunleah
by Leah on Mar. 8, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Oh! And I also don't weigh myself. I know, that's weird right?

The way I figure it if you have a nice simple workout plan, and you're consistent with it, then something is bound to happen right? You don't workout and then nothing happens, something happens.

My problem with weight scales is that they're a setup for dissapointment, you workout and after each workout  you weigh yourself and those workouts are tough ya know? So in the back of your mind you're kind of expecting a dramatic finish and when you step on that scale and it's one or two pounds, it's a dissapointment! Who wants to feel let down? Feelings of let down-ness create frustration, frustrations breeds stress, and stress causes weight gain, again, vicious cycle. And of course weight gain makes you feel like the whole thing just isn't worth it so you stop. 

Weight scales are just evil. My advice is to avoid them, rely on your inner love for yourself, if you feel good after your workout then you'll feel like you look good and if you feel like you look good then your confidence soars and if you're feeling confident other people will sense that and notice it! Now that's a good cycle.

Bradensmommy719
by Anji on Mar. 8, 2013 at 5:24 PM
1 mom liked this
I have learned its the little things. Cut out the sugary drinks and drink water. That helps a lot. Also doing anything that gets you heart rate up. Jumping jacks while doing dishes or walking up and down the stairs several times in a row. We cut out a lot of processed foods and make our own. Like pizzas and cookies. Adding greens to almost every meal is huge also.

Good luck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fleurmegs
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 5:32 PM

If you having Netflix streaming, watch "Hungry for Change."  It will make you want to change the way you eat.  It's not about going on a diet, because they don't work for most people.  It's all about eating healthy (and not healthy as in low cal, low fat, low carb - healthy like eating lots of veggies and cutting out processed foods/junk foods).

And moving.  Even walking 45 mins 3Xs a week can make a huge difference.

fleurmegs
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 5:34 PM
1 mom liked this

We do the same thing!  All meals are home-cooked :)

We've added greens to all meals and snacks except breakfast, and I think we may do juicing as an additive to our breakfasts.  We already cut out cereals and refined sugars for breakfast.

Quoting Bradensmommy719:

I have learned its the little things. Cut out the sugary drinks and drink water. That helps a lot. Also doing anything that gets you heart rate up. Jumping jacks while doing dishes or walking up and down the stairs several times in a row. We cut out a lot of processed foods and make our own. Like pizzas and cookies. Adding greens to almost every meal is huge also.

Good luck

flowerfunleah
by Leah on Mar. 8, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Oh! One more thing I should point out; I don't diet. I never have and I never intend to. I like the lifestyle I lead (a mixture of working out/couch potato-ing it up on cafemom) and I don't think that losing weight should have to  be dramatic lifestyle change. Lifestyle changes are the hardest to make and my life motto is to work smarter not harder. 

So instead of revamping your diet completely, just cut it down a bit. We often eat more than we actually need to simply because food is delicious and irresistable and leaves us wanting more. So don't deny yourself that burrito from Taco Star but don't eat all of it, eat like 1/3 or 1/2 and then save the rest for lunch tomorrow. Oftentimes by recognizing when you're full, you'll stop eating because you just can't stuff anymore in there.

I'm guilty of this with Sushi because I love it and we live not far from an all you can eat sushi place. Lucky for me Sushi is expensive and I'm poor so we don't get to go there that often. 

I also eat everything on a salad sized plate. Why? Because your brain is a bitch (not you personally, mine too, all womens actually) and it's conditioned us to think that we have to fill up a plate and we usually do. So go ahead, fill up the plate, but fill up a small one. I bet you my buttons that after you eat everything on that small plate you'll feel full because your brain will think you're full because your plate is empty. If you took all the food that you filled up on your small plate and put it on a big plate you would eat it and then feel hungry afterwards because your brain is telling you it's not enough because it looks so small. I'm a proud member of the tiny clean plate club lol. 

We also don't buy snacks. Like chips, cookies, crackers, etc etc, anything that you can grab and sit down with really. That can be really frustrating at times because I can (and will) sit down and eat a whole bag of chips by myself. I don't care if they make crackers in 100 calorie snack packs, they stuff the box with those little individual packs! And I don't know about you but that box is pretty darn easy to just carry with you to the couch. Sneaky corporate bastards. They're saying they care about your health but they don't. Ignore them.

But just because I don't buy snacks doesn't mean I don't eat them. Just if I want a chip or a cookie or a cracker I make it from scratch and since I'm lazy that doesn't happen very often lol. But when it does happen it happens SO good and you just can't get comfort feelings like that out of a box. 

For on the go (when you don't have time to haul your oven with you ha!) those road trips snacks can be mighty tempting because no one wants to cook on the road right? Even if you're just driving from the house to school (I drive 40 miles to school once a week, I love it THAT much) it can seem that grabbing a bag of chips or cookies from the gas station isn't that bad. It's not! But did you know grocery stores prepackage sliced fruit? I shit you not, they do. They have like prepackaged sliced apples with almonds, cheese, and carrot sticks and the way I see it, nobody ever got fat from eating an apple, right? So I usually grab that. It's all about your choices! You don't have to eat chips. You also don't have to eat tasteless lettuce, put down the salad, grab yourself an apple and load it up with peanut butter, ignore the carbs. 

lol I guess you could call my losing weight plan "The lazy girls guide to weight loss".

flowerfunleah
by Leah on Mar. 8, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Also, here's a smoothie recipe list for everything. Lazy girl way? Go to Jamba Juice and give them the smoothie recipe you want and have them make it lol

Smoothie recipes for everything!

Babybear89
by Gracey on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:42 AM
Drink tons of water. Stop eating processed food, no soda at all. Lots of fresh produce less carbs. Cardio and strength training/weight lifting. Muscle burns calories. It works I lost twenty pounds
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)