Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Colorado Moms Colorado Moms

Too good to be true?

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 3:31 PM
  • 10 Replies

Remember my post about being stiffed for babysitting? I had posted an ad in the facebook group sort of explaining what happened and how I would really like another child to watch but would need payment in advance. Never heard anything for a while.

Yesterday I got a message from a mom wanting care for various hours (she works at a restaurant) at least through the summer, and she was desperate for someone for TODAY but couldn't pay for today until she picked her up and could pay in advance after that.

So I weighed the options, I really don't mind watching a child for free once in a while, so I figured I could help her out today and if it didn't work out no big deal.

We were texting last night and I said I didn't know what to charge but that the girl who didn't pay me, we had agreed on $16 for an 8-hour day - I know this is on the low end, I was being helpful I thought, plus he was an easy kid and no trouble at all...

She was like "she cheated you out of THAT? Wow!" and she said she pays $25 for 4 hours and 40ish for 8 or more, and for today she would pay $45 when she picked her up at 9.

My jaw dropped, and I was like no way could this be true.

But she showed up today, she seems really nice (so did the last girl...), her daughter is really cute and sweet. She mentioned paying at pickup again (rather than at the end of the week or whatever) and thanked me for watching her at such short notice.

It's been pretty mellow so far. She's a good eater. I'm about to put her down for a nap, and then get Corbin down for his.

Maybe I'm just nervous from being burned last time, but what do you think? Am I being played again?

by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 3:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bradensmommy719
by Anji on Mar. 20, 2013 at 3:39 PM
Its so hard to say. I always give people the benefit of doubt but I tend to get walked on once in a while. I would be nervous about it happening again but I do home that she is better than the lady. My fingers are crossed for you. Keep us updated.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heydooney
by Danielle on Mar. 20, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Her husband ended up getting off early for the day so she just picked her up between her 2 shifts to spend the day with Daddy. Came in, handed me $25 and asked if she could keep my information for the future. Easy peasy, I hope she keeps coming though for now there are no plans.

Corbin called her HIS baby all day, it was so funny. He kept pointing to her, and then to himself, and saying "my. baby."

Lala629
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 5:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I really doubt you are being played sweetie.....I pay about what this new mom has said she will pay and to be honest that IS pretty resonable. I'm with "new mom", I can't believe the other stiffed you like that on such a small amount. Pretty sad....

But definitely don't let others who have burned you in the past allow you to think that all people are shady like that. Just make sure you return the favor and also be a good person to those who are good to you. In fact, ALWAYS be the bigger better person and the good in others will eventually find you.

Best of luck! :)

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

I am a stay at home momma on a mission of filtering out the BS in the business of making money from home and sharing my knowledge with others wishing to do the same....follow my blog and see what I've been up to, what is working for me and what isn't. Want to know more? Message me! :)

I am a ... Stay At Home Moneymaker :)  www.stayathome-moneymaker.com

My New Health & Beauty Webstore :)  www.bargainbrat.net

Bradensmommy719
by Anji on Mar. 20, 2013 at 5:33 PM
Glad it worked out! I do hope they call for future babysitting.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjimaging
by Melissa on Mar. 20, 2013 at 5:57 PM
Sounds like it worked out. In Texas we ha a lady come for half a day on Saturdays and she charged $40. He was a real piece of work too. Didn't start that way but she tried to say she should be charging more for "tutoring" my oldest. My oldest is very smart and definitely was not being tutored. Shortly after she bailed with two days notice. Forced us in to a 24/7 daycare that was less expensive and 100% more reliable.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
scurnes
by Sara on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:01 AM
So glad it worked out today!! Hopefully it will continue
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SkylarBeth
by Skylar on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:19 AM

Glad it worked out, and I LOVE bigger babies that love little babies "my baby" thats soooo sweet!

Quoting heydooney:

Her husband ended up getting off early for the day so she just picked her up between her 2 shifts to spend the day with Daddy. Came in, handed me $25 and asked if she could keep my information for the future. Easy peasy, I hope she keeps coming though for now there are no plans.

Corbin called her HIS baby all day, it was so funny. He kept pointing to her, and then to himself, and saying "my. baby."

flowerfunleah
by Leah on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:24 AM

There's no harm in giving it a try!

sarahjz
by Sarah on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:09 AM

I hope it works out.  If I were putting my children in someone else's care, I would pay well.  I would want the person watching them to be happy....maybe she feels the same way.  I hope so!  :)

countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Mar. 21, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Glad it has worked out so far!  Hopefully it will continue to be a good thing for you. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN