Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Colorado Moms Colorado Moms

Ugh, my mother. *Vent*

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 11:36 AM
  • 7 Replies

So I'm SUPER excited about Dd's Easter Basket this year. We got her a bike with training wheels and the little basket in the front is gonna be her Easter basket that we'll fill with goodies and the such. 

Why such an extravagant gift you ask?

Well her birthday is in November and when she turned 2 she was too little to appreciate a bike but we went to a birthday party a month or so ago where the birthday girl got a bike and dd has talked about nothing ever since! But we didn't want to wait until her birthday to get her a bike because then she wouldn't be able to ride it this summer and what fun is that? She did SO well riding this other little girls bike I really think with some practice she'll get the hang of riding one on her own. 

SO! Yeah, that's why we got her a bike for a minor holiday like Easter. 

Anyway, we told my mother this. We agreed on my mother coming over on Easter before my in laws get here for Easter dinner so that she could give Dd her Easter basket that she made for her but then she tells me this morning that she got Dd a tricycle! Don't get me wrong, it's not nearly as cool as the bike we got her, but still! She already has a cool tricycle at my mother's house, why does she need TWO?

Also! Did I ever get a tricycle for Easter? Nooooope. I barely got a basket, usually my mother just put candy out on the table, my dad was always the one that made us an actual Easter basket, he always got excited about holiday stuff. 

Anyway, I'm more than a little irritated with her over it. I told her that she can keep it the trike she got her at HER house and she can give Dd the other stuff she got her and that maybe she should just take it back to the store. She said that she would keep the trike at HER house and not give it to her for Easter but she's acting as if I'm insulting her by refusing to keep it here at OUR house.

Also, this is not a custody arrangement! MY daughter = I get to say what goes and what doesn't. I talked to my therapist about this and he says it's normal for grandparents to treat their grandchildren as if they're getting a second chance at parenthood.

*rolls eyes* Lordy.  

by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 11:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Bradensmommy719
by Anji on Mar. 30, 2013 at 11:50 AM
Goodness. I am glad my mom always asks what to get them. Usually she is good about not getting bean a large amount of candy or small toys that I just throw out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
scurnes
by Sara on Mar. 30, 2013 at 12:44 PM
My mother is the same way! Drives me nuts. She will take an idea I had and use it as her own then act like she is the greatest cause she did this big thing the kids will love
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sarahjz
by Sarah on Mar. 30, 2013 at 1:12 PM

"he says it's normal for grandparents to treat their grandchildren as if they're getting a second chance at parenthood."

Huh.  That's interesting.  Neither of my parents have anything to do with their grandchildren.  Not just my kiddos....they pay no attention to any of them.  I totally get your frustration with your mom.

Babybear89
by Gracey on Mar. 30, 2013 at 2:06 PM
I don't speak to my own mother, but mil is like that all the freaking time. grrr
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
heydooney
by Danielle on Mar. 30, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Why would she need a trike if she's got a bike? I don't get it!

TristanMitchael
by Kristina on Mar. 30, 2013 at 9:25 PM

That's kinda snotty of her. My mom's the opposite, she always made a big deal out of holidays and now that I do for my kids she's all "why, what for?" I don't get it. I'd be super peeved if I were you though. My sister's inlaws do that to them too, its such a crock.

countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Sounds like she is trying to out do you or something, ugh.  How did it go on Easter?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)