Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Colorado Moms Colorado Moms

My oldest niece

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:23 PM
  • 8 Replies
She's nine and was born with cystic fibrosis. Her mother, my sister, has never treated her correctly for her illness. That's a long long thorn I've had for a long time. Well, last night they also diagnosed her with diabetes. Her blood sugar was over 600! Now she's not taking her insuline too well and until both grandma and mom can deliver the insulin, she can't leave the hospital. They have to count all her carbs and adjust insulin accordingly. She runs and hides whenever anyone brings in a needle. I suggested that grandma (also insulin dependent) maybe tests and treats with her. Maybe then she will see they aren't trying to hurt her. I also suggested she tries contacting the diabetes research foundation to see if they har a child advocate that maybe could talk to her and try to help. She's old enough (9) to understand this isn't an attempt to hurt her but she really isn't having anything of it. Does anyone have any thoughts on ways to help her. Her mom is not very responsible and this is going to really require some responsibility. I am sad for my niece. I mean, this is serious and her mother can't even seem to get off work to e with her in the hospital. I mean, how can an employer keep an employee that has a child in the hospital.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Babybear89
by Gracey on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:22 AM
Oh dear hopefully she can get the time off
sarahjz
by Sarah on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:25 AM

That's awful.  I have no advice...but I hope they can work it out.  :(

TristanMitchael
by Kristina on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:18 AM

That poor girl! I would have someone with diabetes explain it to her and show her how everything works. She needs to know its a serious situation. 

mjimaging
by Melissa on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:36 PM
My mom is diabetic but she won't let her do anything either. I think he needs a child advocate.

Quoting TristanMitchael:

That poor girl! I would have someone with diabetes explain it to her and show her how everything works. She needs to know its a serious situation. 

TristanMitchael
by Kristina on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Is she overweight? It's really sad no one wants to give her the help she needs.

Quoting mjimaging:

My mom is diabetic but she won't let her do anything either. I think he needs a child advocate.

Quoting TristanMitchael:

mjimaging
by Melissa on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:40 PM
I didn't word that right my mom is trying to help but my niece is fighting her. She is actually very thin.

Quoting TristanMitchael:

Quoting mjimaging:

Quoting TristanMitchael:

flowerfunleah
by Leah on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Thats so sad :-(

I don't really have any advice. My friend has diabetes and her insulin is pumped automatically with this thing that's attatched to her but that she can take off if she needs to, it's expensive but all she has to do is push a button and it automatically pumps the insulin she needs into her, you might look into that! I'll ask her what it's called but if you're niece is afraid of needles then that might be a good option for her.

TristanMitchael
by Kristina on Apr. 3, 2013 at 4:14 PM
Oh I gotcha. Has your mom let her watch when she tests her blood sugar and stuff?

Quoting mjimaging:

I didn't word that right my mom is trying to help but my niece is fighting her. She is actually very thin.

Quoting TristanMitchael:

Quoting mjimaging:

Quoting TristanMitchael:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN