Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Colorado Moms Colorado Moms

This town terrifies me!

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 1:12 AM
  • 31 Replies
I live in aurora. Less than a mile away from the theatre where the shooting took place. I work in the mall that shares a parking lot with the theatre. The school across the street from my house has been on lockdown multiple times for various reasons. There have been several murders in the past few months. And just a couple nights ago two people were shot because of gang activity.
I hate that I have to avoid going anywhere at night. I can't take my son many places because I fear for his safety. I have a big scary dog and two guns in my house for protection, but it doesn't feel like enough. My husband works graveyard so I'm home alone with the baby all night. It's a very uneasy feeling.
I just really hate this city and I can't wait to move! Growing up in Iowa, I never thought about stuff like this. We slept with our houses unlocked. If we were running into the store for a second, we left the car running. Then when I moved to Florida I couldn't do those things anymore because it was too dangerous. It seems crazy to me that Florida is less dangerous of a place than aurora is. It's sad.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 1:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bradensmommy719
by Anji on Apr. 5, 2013 at 2:11 AM
It is hard. I grew up in the springs and we never had issues. I moved to the opposite side of town and hated it. I saw the fire truck or police cars everyday and there were always accidents right outside the apartments. We moved.back to the west side 2 miles away from where I grew up and although its a decent neighborhood things sucks. I want to move to a small town where I don't have to worry about my neighbors or if I remembered to lock my car at night.

I didn't like the Aurora area when we were looking to move to Denver. I actually couldn't find any area that I liked. Many of them seem run down and not good. Its hard to find a safe place to raise a child. I would be scared also. I don't sleep well when bran isn't home and I k.ow when we move that means he would be home every night but the move would be to Denver. :-/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AshleyPie
by Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 6:38 AM
The neighborhood I live in is pretty nice. It's an hoa so that's like a requirement that it be nice. Lol. But the second you're out of this neighborhood it's not nice anymore. And there is a high school across the street so their are always rowdy teens here and that makes me a little uneasy. We're just trying to get some extra money so we can get out of here. This has never been a great place to live, but it's gotten much much worse.

Quoting Bradensmommy719:

It is hard. I grew up in the springs and we never had issues. I moved to the opposite side of town and hated it. I saw the fire truck or police cars everyday and there were always accidents right outside the apartments. We moved.back to the west side 2 miles away from where I grew up and although its a decent neighborhood things sucks. I want to move to a small town where I don't have to worry about my neighbors or if I remembered to lock my car at night.

I didn't like the Aurora area when we were looking to move to Denver. I actually couldn't find any area that I liked. Many of them seem run down and not good. Its hard to find a safe place to raise a child. I would be scared also. I don't sleep well when bran isn't home and I k.ow when we move that means he would be home every night but the move would be to Denver. :-/
pinkdragon36
by New Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 7:32 AM

I have been here since I was three. Aurora is just another place. Yeah for the last six months its been hoppin sorry bad choice of words but true You should have looked in areas like Thorton a lot nicer .

HKing01
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:55 AM

I'm from MS so all these cities are too big for me. I will be moving soon thanks to the states new laws.

sarahjz
by Sarah on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:04 AM

That is scary...

Babybear89
by Gracey on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:08 AM
What law is making you want to move

Quoting HKing01:

I'm from MS so all these cities are too big for me. I will be moving soon thanks to the states new laws.

flowerfunleah
by Leah on Apr. 5, 2013 at 11:09 AM
Where are you thinking of moving to?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amonkeymom
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Eek... and to think I've been looking at places to buy in Aurora (among other cities).

AromaDrops33
by Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:21 PM
I grew up in aurora, I live in the springs now. I can't stand aurora
Queen.of.Random
by Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:45 PM

That sucks! We have been looking to move to Aurora because its close to my husband's job and he has to pay the gas to drive this huge gas hog work van back and forth, so he wants to be close to work. He thinks Aurora is just fine and great and I feel really uneasy about moving there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)