Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Colorado Moms Colorado Moms

Speaking of Aurora...

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:23 PM
  • 11 Replies

I looked at a condo in the area of S. Chambers and E. Florida and liked it a lot (besides the fact that its overpriced).  But, I have some concerns, can anyone help?

• crime rates in the area?
  • Gateway high school?
  • gang activity in the area?

What are your thoughts?

by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Apr. 8, 2013 at 12:49 AM
I am not any help on that. I wonder if there is some sort of database you can look at somehow or something. Maybe ask your realtor if they know how to get that info? Sorry, I can't help more.
mjimaging
by Melissa on Apr. 8, 2013 at 8:37 AM
I've only been able to find info on whole cities when I look things up. Realitors aren't really allowed to say those things. If you get a good realitor though they will give you an idea. Ours did in Houston even though she wasn't supposed to.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lazyd
by Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Nope, use to live in that area of I-225 n Mississippi.  Those condos should be cheap, cuz its a bad area.  They built the new Aurora Hills Middle school, i think to try n improve the area, but all the good stores moved down to Mississippi n Havana.  Everything around Aurora South hospital is moving.  My kids would have gone to Gateway High if we hadnt moved away, but i would have tried my hardest to get them into Overland High which is Cherry Creek school district, even tho Overland isnt much better, its at least a CCSD school.  Go to greatschools.org - it will give you A LOT of info on ALL schools everywhere.  Gateway got 2 stars outta 10.  Test scores are way below average.  Population of the school is Hispanic 35%, black 31%, white 29%.  I cant tell you the crime rate nor the gang activity, but i think the gang activity is increasing.  My inlaws still live by Gateway (my hubby graduated from that school) and their neighborhood is constantly getting "tagged" n graffiti.  Its only gotten worse.  You would think places would be cheap to live there cuz its a bad area.  Sorry to discourage, if thats the only place you can afford to live.  

Babybear89
by Gracey on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:06 AM
No clue here
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
amonkeymom
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Thank you for the input, it really helps.

I've pretty much ruled out that condo anyway, but it's still good to know.

Right now I'm looking at a place over near Parker and Quincy, Overland HS would be the school my daughter would go to, and I def. feel better about CC schools.

Quoting lazyd:

Nope, use to live in that area of I-225 n Mississippi.  Those condos should be cheap, cuz its a bad area.  They built the new Aurora Hills Middle school, i think to try n improve the area, but all the good stores moved down to Mississippi n Havana.  Everything around Aurora South hospital is moving.  My kids would have gone to Gateway High if we hadnt moved away, but i would have tried my hardest to get them into Overland High which is Cherry Creek school district, even tho Overland isnt much better, its at least a CCSD school.  Go to greatschools.org - it will give you A LOT of info on ALL schools everywhere.  Gateway got 2 stars outta 10.  Test scores are way below average.  Population of the school is Hispanic 35%, black 31%, white 29%.  I cant tell you the crime rate nor the gang activity, but i think the gang activity is increasing.  My inlaws still live by Gateway (my hubby graduated from that school) and their neighborhood is constantly getting "tagged" n graffiti.  Its only gotten worse.  You would think places would be cheap to live there cuz its a bad area.  Sorry to discourage, if thats the only place you can afford to live.  

flowerfunleah
by Leah on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Hmm never been there! Good luck though!

amonkeymom
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:53 PM

That's ok, the house was under contract before I even had a chance to look.

I did however put an offer on another one this morning... let's hope that 3rd time really is a charm.

Quoting flowerfunleah:

Larsbug
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 5:08 PM

you DON'T want Gateway! Overland is CC schools but still not the best area...

sarahjz
by Sarah on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:10 AM

I guess the short sale one didn't work out?

Quoting amonkeymom:

I did however put an offer on another one this morning... let's hope that 3rd time really is a charm.

Quoting flowerfunleah:

amonkeymom
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Oh, no.  The seller's bank wanted 32K above the agreed on offer.  They actually relisted it at 17K more than the original asking price.

Quoting sarahjz:

I guess the short sale one didn't work out?

Quoting amonkeymom:

Quoting flowerfunleah:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN