Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Colorado Moms Colorado Moms

It's been a while...

Posted by on May. 19, 2013 at 6:55 AM
  • 8 Replies

As the title says... it has been a while. Haven't really been doing much online as of late.  Too bummed and sick to care. lol.

As most of you know I was admitted to the hospital (after having the surgery the end of March) back around the end of April. Had the stent I had in removed and another one put back in it's place.  When I was admitted in April that had been my 4th ER trip. This month it's been 3 ER trips. This last Tuesday and Friday being two of them. When I went in on Tuesday I was told I had an infection. (tho it thankfully only took them ONE poke to get the I.V. this time) Given pain meds, anti-nausea meds and of course antibiotics. Was given enough pain meds to get thru a couple of days. Tho when I called my Dr's office to get a prescription written I had found out that he's not in till the following Tuesday (the 21st)...which is the day after my appointment with him. Didn't make a big fuss since I assumed that I'd just see the other Dr in the office as thats usually how it works.

Well when Friday morning came along I wasn't feeling any better... Was feeling worse in fact. So I went back into the ER since my Dr was out anyway.  People are starting to know myself and my husband. Nurses recognize me. The gift shop and coffee stand guy knows my husband and asks about me whenever they see him. lol.    Anyway... I.V. took 3 pokes to get. Not too bad... especially pain wise since even their failed attempts were in my arm. Getting poked in my arm doesn't really phase me.  Even less so after having an I.V. in my WRIST last month... OW is all I have to say about that. Not to mention it makes it difficult using the bathroom o_O.    They did a straight cath this time to collect my urine since they said there were skin cells or something in my urine (same as last time). And at this point Im thinking that if they tell me I never had an infection to begin with I'm going to flip. BUT that wasn't the case. I have an infection.  They asked me about the Dr that put the current stent in. I told them who it was but that he wasnt my urologist that I saw... but that MY urologist is apparently out of the office till the day after my appointment. The ER dr called the office.. only to find out that I was taken OFF of the schedule for Monday... But before I could pitch a HUGE fit about that (they said they called but I never got any calls)... they ER Dr told me that I was now scheduled for 9 AM Monday morning to have my stent removed.

Soooooooooooooo yay!! Hopefully. I asked about the fact that when I was in the ER tuesday they said I had a stone in my ureter (where the stent happens to be lol) and that it doesnt make sense.. that theyd be able to remove the stent with a stone there. The Dr said it was fine and everything... so hopefully there are no issues. 

I'm a little weary about Monday's stent removals. Since the last time I had a stent removed in the office (last year) it was encrusted with stones... and hurt like you would NOT believe. Granted THIS stent has only been in for a few weeks... but still... Im a tad nervous about Monday still.

It will be SOOOOO nice to take a long break from the repeated ER trips. Hell last year when I went thru this mess I did NOT have these issues with the stent I had in then. No infections, no pain (unless I was moving around a LOT)...   This time just sucks.  Hell the ER trip before these last two... They had such a hard time getting the I.V. (they'd stuck me a total of 5 times) that after the fourth time they poked me and failed the nurse I had actually suggested putting an I.V. in my FOOT. To which I said NO. My feet are sensitive to pain as it is... So unless you're giving me a pedicure, or a massage or Im unconcious or dying... you dont go near my feet with a needle. No sir.  Same nurse and same ER trip.. also suggested a Picc Line. I had no clue what that was.. and he was kind of vague about it.  I read up on it later when I was home. Also glad I said no to that. Basically they put small tubing in a vein that travels up the vein and into your heart. That to me just seems WAY excessive. I mean I know I've been in and out of the ER a lot...but DAMN.  Anyway.. eventually a nurse who knew who I was and had been very successful with starting my I.V. came in ...and got it on the first try. (She also got it on the first try previously lol).

Anyyyyhooooo....................... I always ramble. Sorry. lol. Hopefully my ramblings made some sense. Long story short... I get this blasted stent out on Monday. (Again HOPEFULLY).  Just trying hard not to get my hopes up just in case.

by on May. 19, 2013 at 6:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on May. 19, 2013 at 10:41 AM
I hope you are able to get it out tomorrow! You have just been through so much with it lately and hopefully this time they will get it right! Hugs to you.
XnikoX
by Member on May. 19, 2013 at 2:01 PM

I can't wait. Tho I do have my fears. Like something will happen and he wont be able to remove it. Or it will be like the last time I had one removed in the Dr's office and it will be excrutiating (it was encrusted with stones... imagine that coming out of your urethra lol). Or he'll be able to remove it pain or no pain ....and I'll end up in pain afterwards only to find out that I STILL have a stone or something...only to end up having to REPEAT this process all over again. lol.

I know, I know... I'm paranoid. But seriously I swear this is like my life story here. lol.

I've got money sitting in savings right now waiting for me so I can purchase my plane ticket for my visit next month... my visit is pretty much riding on this. If I get it removed and then end up having issues there's no way Im going to make it to visit next month. Tho that money will NOT be getting spent so it'll be there once I AM better so I will visit at SOME point.

I'm just so sick of being sick. And normally for ....well... normal people I suppose.. kidney stones doesnt wreak THIS kind of havoc on a persons life. Not saying its JUST me...but boy does it feel like it. lol.  Hell I've actually lost about 10lbs because I'm either vomiting or can't eat because I'm nauseated or in pain.  NOT that I'm going to waste away because trust me... 10lbs aint nothing really. Tho I have to admit it makes me want to start working out something fierce.... just can't work out like I really want till Im no longer in THIS kind of pain.  I don't mind pain from working out. It actually feels good. Like when I was in marching band in high school. Some of the practices were pretty intense. Id come home and slap some icey hot on my legs because if I didnt my legs would feel like well done spaghetti by morning. LOL.

Anyhoooooooooooo I'm totally rambling again. I swear it's the pain killers. I get VERY chatty.

Quoting countrygirlkat:

I hope you are able to get it out tomorrow! You have just been through so much with it lately and hopefully this time they will get it right! Hugs to you.

ProudMommy51006
by Ashlea on May. 19, 2013 at 2:06 PM
Feel better. I haven't seen your posts before. What is your diagnosis?
XnikoX
by Member on May. 19, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Thanks! And ya Im relatively new... been posting for a few months now.

And my diagnosis... Kidney stones. lol. I'm just one of the lucky people who never seems to be able to pass them before they get too big to pass.  Which is why I've had the surgeries I've had before (Percutaneous nephrolithotomy with a nephrostomy tube, google it lol), four stents total (two of which were this time around) and a few lithotripsies.

Quoting ProudMommy51006:

ProudMommy51006
by Ashlea on May. 19, 2013 at 2:58 PM
Oh goodness! Poor you! I hope that you get a nice long run of no more for a while at least

Quoting XnikoX:

Thanks! And ya Im relatively new... been posting for a few months now.

And my diagnosis... Kidney stones. lol. I'm just one of the lucky people who never seems to be able to pass them before they get too big to pass.  Which is why I've had the surgeries I've had before (Percutaneous nephrolithotomy with a nephrostomy tube, google it lol), four stents total (two of which were this time around) and a few lithotripsies.

Quoting ProudMommy51006:

amonkeymom
by on May. 19, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Oh goodness, you really have been through the wringer haven't you?  I sure hope your appointment tomorrow is much less painless than these last few weeks have been.

countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on May. 19, 2013 at 9:12 PM
I don't think you are being paranoid after all you have gone through! I sure hope you are able to make the visit because I know you are wanting so badly to see your kids!
Quoting XnikoX:

I can't wait. Tho I do have my fears. Like something will happen and he wont be able to remove it. Or it will be like the last time I had one removed in the Dr's office and it will be excrutiating (it was encrusted with stones... imagine that coming out of your urethra lol). Or he'll be able to remove it pain or no pain ....and I'll end up in pain afterwards only to find out that I STILL have a stone or something...only to end up having to REPEAT this process all over again. lol.

I know, I know... I'm paranoid. But seriously I swear this is like my life story here. lol.

I've got money sitting in savings right now waiting for me so I can purchase my plane ticket for my visit next month... my visit is pretty much riding on this. If I get it removed and then end up having issues there's no way Im going to make it to visit next month. Tho that money will NOT be getting spent so it'll be there once I AM better so I will visit at SOME point.

I'm just so sick of being sick. And normally for ....well... normal people I suppose.. kidney stones doesnt wreak THIS kind of havoc on a persons life. Not saying its JUST me...but boy does it feel like it. lol.  Hell I've actually lost about 10lbs because I'm either vomiting or can't eat because I'm nauseated or in pain.  NOT that I'm going to waste away because trust me... 10lbs aint nothing really. Tho I have to admit it makes me want to start working out something fierce.... just can't work out like I really want till Im no longer in THIS kind of pain.  I don't mind pain from working out. It actually feels good. Like when I was in marching band in high school. Some of the practices were pretty intense. Id come home and slap some icey hot on my legs because if I didnt my legs would feel like well done spaghetti by morning. LOL.

Anyhoooooooooooo I'm totally rambling again. I swear it's the pain killers. I get VERY chatty.

Quoting countrygirlkat:

sarahjz
by Sarah on May. 20, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Well, that sounds awful.  I sure hope it gets better for you!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)