Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you think teachers should be armed?

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:47 PM
  • 12 Replies

I just read on thedenverchannel.com that there is a school district in Arkansas that is doing just that.  School employees have to undergo 53 hours of training and then will be considered "armed guards".

Would you be happy if teachers here were armed?

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RosePetalTears
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:07 PM

i think that there are those that need to think that school staffed is armed, whether they are or not.   It will hopefully be a good deterrent for those that wish to do another columbine or sandy hook.

I also believe that if we are going to arm school stuff then backround checks, mental health checks and gun safety course need to be done yearly or on an as needed basis if warning signs start appearing

Bradensmommy719
by Anji on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:21 PM
If they go through the training and feel safe enough to have the gun then yes I am ok with it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:30 PM

I don't think it should be a requirement that all of them must be armed because there are just some that won't be comfortable with weapons no matter how much training and that could be even worse.  With that being said though I definitely think it would be good for some school employees to be armed so that at any time there are at least a few in the building who are armed and trained and ready.

larissalarie
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:32 PM
Idk, there are some pretty crazy teachers out there that might be better off without immediate access to firearms while under stress...
And even with the tragedies, school is still statistically one of the safest places your kid will ever be.
Hopefully it'll work out well though. I do understand the desire to do something.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sarahjz
by Sarah on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:30 PM
1 mom liked this

I would not be happy.  I'd remove my child from any school that had armed teachers.

scurnes
by Sara on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:20 PM
I don't like it. I don't think that is their job
heydooney
by Danielle on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:03 PM

I think teachers who want to be armed should be allowed. I don't think it should be required. I don't want guns in the hands of those who are *not* able and willing to take a life.

At MOPS we had a cop come speak to us and off-topic, he talked a little about guns and why they don't arm all the teachers, and I kind of see his point. He said cops are continuously training, and one of the classes they have to take over and over is about retaining their weapon, as in, NOT letting the "bad guy" get it. Because even with highly trained police officers, it happens.

Now a teacher who isn't sure she could ever actually shoot someone, trained only because she *has* to, and not nearly as intensively as police officers. Do you think she could keep control of a weapon in the moment of fire, or would she just serve as a re-load for someone bent on shooting up the place?

mjimaging
by Melissa on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:17 PM
I don't think I'd like it. Guns don't belong in schools. Armed officers is one thin but teachers don't belong having guns. At a bank, they don't arm us in case if a robbery. They train us on how to handle it and stay alive.
jessifromdenver
by Jessica on Aug. 1, 2013 at 8:16 AM
No. I would pull my children out of school if they were. There are too many reasons to really get into it here, but mainly, having a weapon is an implied threat, and I don't want my kids to be learning from people with guns figuratively pointed at them. I also don't want to live in a society where we are keeping "armed guards" where ever two or more of us gather. It's scary. There are ways to prevent violence in our society without creating an occupying army out of teachers.
county_mom
by Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 11:08 AM
It just not Arkansas, I've heard Texas and California are too with other states soon to follow if they haven't already. I can remember going to one of my son football games were there was a shooting in the parking lot during the 3rd quarter, my son was on the field. Those of us with our concealed weapons permits were out there standing between the parking lot and the stadium until the police got there and that did include the teachers. I'm all for allowing the teacher who want to be armed to do so. I want to know that my kids and grandkids are protected in all ways possible while at school.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)