Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Over weight kitten.

Posted by on Sep. 8, 2012 at 8:54 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 182 Total Views

So, I've taken Kovu to the vet with weight concerns. He is pretty chubby for a F4 Savannah. Savannahs are SUPPOSED to be lean cats. 

The vet said because he is still a kitten (this was at 7 months old) to just give it time, that he should grow out of it. She said to cut out some of his dry food, do mostly wet food. They didn't want to do blood work until he was a year old, and they said if we did it before 1 year that it would cost like $300. - ___ - 

He was eating Blue Buffalo but I can't find a wet weight management food, so we switched to Authority weight management. He gets 1/2 can in the morning, and the rest for dinner. He was 13 lbs at 7 months old.

Now he is 10 months & weighs 20 lbs. He hasn't really gotten much taller & is still obviously over weight. 

So Idk if I should get a 2nd opinion, I mean, if he has diabetes or something I would like to catch that sooner than later. Or if there is another medical reason why he is putting on so much weight, I'd like to know. Is $300 about the norm for blood work? That just seems like SO much. I'm more than willing to pay it if thats about normal range. But geeze louise.. lol 

by on Sep. 8, 2012 at 8:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
arigdon4
by Group Owner on Sep. 9, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Bump...I don't have any advice other than to follow your gut.

Pets arekinds like kids, YOU know if something isn't right with your (not so) little guy.

Good luck and keep us posted!

DarcMystical86
by Member on Sep. 9, 2012 at 10:28 PM
The food you are feeding him probably has too much carbs or starch which is converted into fat if he is not active. I have my F1 Bengal on a raw food diet, homemade of course, and he is lean because it is comprised of mostly lean meat, bones, organ and vitamins. Many canned foods like blue buffalo have potato or some type of vegetable matter in it. Cats are exclusive carnivores, meat and only meat should be their diet. Plus, Savannahs are big cats, I've heard of them getting that big. But overweight cats are get diabetes and other health problems. Try a raw food diet he like and play more games with him to keep him active. Keep us updated on his condition.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovinmykiddo07
by Member on Sep. 9, 2012 at 10:36 PM
He refuses to eat raw. :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DarcMystical86
by Member on Sep. 10, 2012 at 7:30 AM
Have you tried gradually putting a small bit of raw in his canned food? My F4 Bengal is a picky eater when it comes to raw. I usually add goats milk with the tiniest bit of canned food just for smell. After a while, I stop adding the canned food. It's usually works. I've convert many cats over to raw. I have an F3 Bengal and he won't even eat canned food anymore. Also, it could be texture. My EG Bengals like the food to be chunky with chewy bit where my F4 will lick the food up. It all about finding middle ground.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovinmykiddo07
by Member on Sep. 10, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Quoting DarcMystical86:

Have you tried gradually putting a small bit of raw in his canned food? My F4 Bengal is a picky eater when it comes to raw. I usually add goats milk with the tiniest bit of canned food just for smell. After a while, I stop adding the canned food. It's usually works. I've convert many cats over to raw. I have an F3 Bengal and he won't even eat canned food anymore. Also, it could be texture. My EG Bengals like the food to be chunky with chewy bit where my F4 will lick the food up. It all about finding middle ground.

Yes, I've tried adding a little bit at a time. He is SO picky when it comes to his food! I would put just a tiny itty bitty bit in there & he wouldn't touch it. :/ Finally SO got so tired of wasting money on raw when he wouldn't eat it that we gave up. 

DarcMystical86
by Member on Sep. 10, 2012 at 7:13 PM
Wow, I can't blame you. Have you seen the Nature's Variety raw kibble? It's kibble with freeze dried raw bites. Maybe you can try giving him that.

Have you tried feeding him less? Does he drink a lot of water? How big is the cans? Are you feeding him the 5.5 oz cans or the 3.5 oz cans?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovinmykiddo07
by Member on Sep. 10, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Quoting DarcMystical86:

Wow, I can't blame you. Have you seen the Nature's Variety raw kibble? It's kibble with freeze dried raw bites. Maybe you can try giving him that.

Have you tried feeding him less? Does he drink a lot of water? How big is the cans? Are you feeding him the 5.5 oz cans or the 3.5 oz cans?

Yes, that was one of the first that we tried. 

We are feeding him less now. I think he has gotten a little taller/longer because he looks a bit thinner, but went from 16 lbs to 20 lbs. 

Yes, he drinks a lot of water. They are the 5.5 oz cans. He gets one a day. 1/2 in morning, 1/2 at night. He doesn't like to eat it all at once, which makes it even harder to try to get him to eat raw.

DarcMystical86
by Member on Sep. 10, 2012 at 7:48 PM
1 mom liked this
Well, he is still a kitten. Savannahs take 3 years to mature. He might be still growing. I have a F3 who drinks a lot of water and pees all the time but he's fine.

I think if he doesn't eat all the canned food in one sitting, pick it up and save it for later. That way he can get hungry again. The thing about feed picky eaters is that they know we are going to give them what they want but I always make them get hungry for food. I use to leave food out for my F4 and he would sniff it and walk away. One day, I said, you going to eat this. I waited till he got really hungry. I mean he was meowing like crazy and trying to eat my food. I said okay, let me eat and then I'll give you food. I give him the raw with a little bit of canned food and he sniffed it and walked away. I left it there a little longer. He eventually ate it. Sometimes even now, he test me about food, but he knows that if I put food on the floor its suppose to be eaten. If not, the other cats will eat it. Trust me now he eats just a little bit faster.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)