Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

mutts vs. purebred

Posted by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 11:02 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 211 Total Views

What is your preference and why?

also Rescue vs. breeder.

by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 11:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
ladybugmom2010
by Member on Sep. 13, 2012 at 12:01 AM
Mutt or purebred does not matter to me if I am adopting. I would love to rescue but most are really picky about certain things wish I understand but it hurts. Anyway I pick a breeder a show breeder over rescue.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DarcMystical86
by Member on Sep. 14, 2012 at 10:53 AM
Well, it depends. I like to do rescue if I can but because of the way my first cat personality, I can only get kittens. He doesn't like adult cats. He loves kittens though, and is a good teacher of the rules of the house. I like to support rescue but I like breeders better since many cat breeders are friends of mine, and I know they take great care of their animals. My last cat came from a breeder and he is the funniest cat ever. Loves food and loves to play.
laughingsqua125
by Member on Sep. 14, 2012 at 11:00 AM

doesnt matter dogs r smart i love dogs that r down to earth

dmcarpenter619
by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 9:30 PM
We are mixed in this house. We rescued our male Dane and our Goldendoodle. I got our female Dane from a breeder, but it was sort of a rescue. I went to pick out my puppy and as soon as I saw her I knew he would put her down of someone didn't take her. She is almost pure white and had a high chance of being deaf and blind. She is completely deaf. Anyway, I chose her over the original puppy I went to get. Our bulldog we got from a breeder.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovinmykiddo07
by Member on Sep. 15, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Eh, it all depends I think. 

Kovu has been a way different experience for me. When we were younger we got a toy poodle, I was like 7, so I really had no say in getting it. Dad just showed up with him one day. He was a mean little bugger & eventually we re-homed him because of his aggression towards kids. 

After Keiko, the poodle, all of our animals were rescues that were also mutts. We've had lab mixes, pointer/pit mix, schnauzer mix, catahoula mix. Not to mention all the stray cats that became "ours". I grew up in Altus, OK which has a very high kill gassing facility. So, being that close to a place where they GAS because they are too full, kind of motivated us to rescue than to go through a breeder. 

But then I met SO, he got stationed in Washington & here we are. He isn't a big animal person, how I ended up falling in love with someone who doesn't share the same passion for all animals like I do, I dont know, but it happened. The first 4 years we lived together fishes were all we had. But he finally caved, under one condition: that we get a Savannah. 

He knew how important rescuing was to me, so we registered for updates from a well known Savannah rescue group. Any time one became available it was usually too fragile to ship to WA, from the east coast. So after 2 years of waiting for one to pop up closer to us, SO went ahead & bought Kovu from a breeder. 

lovinmykiddo07
by Member on Sep. 15, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Quoting dmcarpenter619:

We are mixed in this house. We rescued our male Dane and our Goldendoodle. I got our female Dane from a breeder, but it was sort of a rescue. I went to pick out my puppy and as soon as I saw her I knew he would put her down of someone didn't take her. She is almost pure white and had a high chance of being deaf and blind. She is completely deaf. Anyway, I chose her over the original puppy I went to get. Our bulldog we got from a breeder.

You are awesome! We rescued a deaf Catahoula from Altus & she was such a smart dog. Sadly she developed diabetes & even with her medication given every day, we lost her the day after Christmas last year.

SerpentsKiss
by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 12:35 PM

My pup is a mixed breed. I love her anyhow. So sweet and full of love.

dmcarpenter619
by on Sep. 16, 2012 at 11:19 PM

This is our deaf Dane, Bri and her favorite way to sit with my daughter.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dominosmommy
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 6:30 PM

I prefer to adopt. I run my own rescue and all of my dogs aside from one (a purebred Chow Chow from a reputable breeder) have been rescues. Mutts vs Purebred is not an issue when I go to adopt. I always choose the one that melds with me and my family and my pack. However in the event that I do go out and buy a dog from a breeder it WILL be a purebred dog from a reputable breeder. Reputable breeders will not breed mutts under any circumstances. I do not believe in supporting backyard breeders or puppy mills by purchasing "designer" dogs. 

I have a dream that one day I will be judged not by my appearance but by the content of my character  -Martin Luther King Jr

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)