Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Journeys (A getting to know you post)

Posted by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 6:38 PM
  • 63 Replies
  • 1124 Total Views
1 mom liked this

Let's hear about you! What are your experiences? What does having an informed birth mean to you? 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 6:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
louzannalady
by Group Owner on Aug. 30, 2012 at 6:45 PM

My journey started in 2007, when I read Henci Goer's book, "The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth". A month or two later when I was doing research I came across the movie (you can find it on Netflix instant watch) "The Business of Being Born" and knew women deserved better than what we are getting in this country. In demanding better and fighting for an intervention free birth in a hospital in Louisiana, I had a fifty-six hour labor. The first forty-five hours were without any type of medicine or aguementation. I did get the epidural.

My second birth was in a baby friendly designated hospital birthing center, with a doula. It was an unmedicated water birth, in Texas. Very healing. That was July 13. : ) 

For me, informed birth is birthing knowing the risk associated with each decision I make and taking ownership of my own health and being in the drivers seat- not as a passenger.

rachelrothchild
by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 5:07 PM

I have had one homebirth (first child).  Matt and I decided it was best for us after doing some research and watching BOBB.  It makes much more sense to birth where you are comfortable and be surrounded by people who are supportive.  Matt and I attended several Parent Topic Nights at our local childbirth collective and learned more about natural labor and various other things.  I didn't want any interventions (especially a c-section), and I already didn't like doctors and hospitals, so it was a good fit for me.  Everything went pretty well, except for the fact that Adam was born posterior and had some problems breastfeeding.  I am currently planning my second homebirth.

I forgot to add that I had a doula at my first birth, and she was the most helpful person there.  She was really excited to attend a homebirth.  Currently, about 5% of women in MN have homebirths, so chances of attending one are slim.

louzannalady
by Group Owner on Aug. 31, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Yay! I am so glad you had a birth that worked for you guys! : ) I am with you- it is very important to birth where you feel most safe, it makes the world of difference! : ) Thank you for sharing! What is your guess date?

Quoting rachelrothchild:

I have had one homebirth (first child).  Matt and I decided it was best for us after doing some research and watching BOBB.  It makes much more sense to birth where you are comfortable and be surrounded by people who are supportive.  Matt and I attended several Parent Topic Nights at our local childbirth collective and learned more about natural labor and various other things.  I didn't want any interventions (especially a c-section), and I already didn't like doctors and hospitals, so it was a good fit for me.  Everything went pretty well, except for the fact that Adam was born posterior and had some problems breastfeeding.  I am currently planning my second homebirth.

I forgot to add that I had a doula at my first birth, and she was the most helpful person there.  She was really excited to attend a homebirth.  Currently, about 5% of women in MN have homebirths, so chances of attending one are slim.

rachelrothchild
by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 5:16 PM
1 mom liked this

February 15th, which is a day after our anniversary.  Adam was born at 37 weeks, 1 day.

Quoting louzannalady:

Yay! I am so glad you had a birth that worked for you guys! : ) I am with you- it is very important to birth where you feel most safe, it makes the world of difference! : ) Thank you for sharing! What is your guess date?

Quoting rachelrothchild:

kcangel63
by on Sep. 2, 2012 at 10:23 PM
My first 3 births were the "normal" vaginal hospital birth experience. All were with epidurals. My 2nd was induced (non medical reason). I read What To Expect When Expecting. I did what the Dr said, never asking why.

It wasn't until part way through my 3rd pregnancy that my ideal birth image actually began to change. I did try to birth without an epi with baby 2, but being induced, I gave in. With my 3rd, we (DH and I) were talking to my OB. She was going over what would happen during and after the birth. She mentioned how after baby was born, they would take me to the OR and get my tubes tied. DH and I were shocked! Never had we talked about this! We both said NO and that we wanted more children. She acknowledged this, went on, then repeated several more times how I would be getting my tubes tied!!!

We left, I got a new OB that delivered in a completely different hospital, and NEVER went back.

After that, when TTC our 4th, I knew I wanted a home birth. I began studying about birthing at home. The safety of them. Stastics. Getting all the facts to convince my DH. He was on board from the start. He said it was me birthing, not him, so it was my choice where and how.

We had our 4th with a CNM. Our 5th with a lay midwife. Then our 6th and 7th at home unassisted.

We are now expecting our 8th baby in December. Our 5th home birth and 3rd UC.

Our 8th Baby, 5th Home Birth, and 3rd UC.

schultzal
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 1:49 AM

I'm Amber, and I'm 26. I'm an American expat married to an Aussie, living in Sydney. I am currently pregnant with our first, and am having a birth centre birth.

I've felt fairly strongly about a more natural way of living since I was about 21 and lived in NH. People there were much more natural-minded that people from my home state of Indiana. My family is definitely not natural-minded. 

When we decided to TTC, I began educating myself on pregnancy and childbirth, and of course, was pulled more toward learning about natural childbirth than anything else. The birth centre here is only permitted to do 500 births per year, so I knew I had to book in as soon as I got two pink lines. Thankfully, I was able to book in. I did a TON of reading about childbirth of all kinds, so as to see both sides of it, and continue to believe that natural birth is the obvious best choice for any woman who is medically/physically able to have it.

The midwives at my birth centre are just floored with the amount of knowledge I have gained throughout my pregnancy, and are always impressed with the questions I ask.

Unfortunately, I learned at my appointment on Monday that the birth centre is under threat of being closed down, thanks to the board of directors of the hospital it is affiliated with. There are no other birth centres in all of New South Wales, and homebirth is becoming increasingly difficult to have. I feel very strongly about the birth centre staying open, and will do anything I can to support those midwives, starting with writing to the members of parliament and the healthcare minister, as well as the board of directors. 

louzannalady
by Group Owner on Sep. 5, 2012 at 11:20 AM

That is so terrific that you guys listened to your guts! I am really shocked (yes, even after I have heard of a similiar nature) that the OB kept pushing getting your tubes tied. Wow! Congrats on your newest upcoming addition! : ) 

Quoting kcangel63:

My first 3 births were the "normal" vaginal hospital birth experience. All were with epidurals. My 2nd was induced (non medical reason). I read What To Expect When Expecting. I did what the Dr said, never asking why.

It wasn't until part way through my 3rd pregnancy that my ideal birth image actually began to change. I did try to birth without an epi with baby 2, but being induced, I gave in. With my 3rd, we (DH and I) were talking to my OB. She was going over what would happen during and after the birth. She mentioned how after baby was born, they would take me to the OR and get my tubes tied. DH and I were shocked! Never had we talked about this! We both said NO and that we wanted more children. She acknowledged this, went on, then repeated several more times how I would be getting my tubes tied!!!

We left, I got a new OB that delivered in a completely different hospital, and NEVER went back.

After that, when TTC our 4th, I knew I wanted a home birth. I began studying about birthing at home. The safety of them. Stastics. Getting all the facts to convince my DH. He was on board from the start. He said it was me birthing, not him, so it was my choice where and how.

We had our 4th with a CNM. Our 5th with a lay midwife. Then our 6th and 7th at home unassisted.

kcangel63
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 11:23 AM
Thank you.

Unfortunately, I think that may have given me an issue with distrust of Drs. I now study everything, which is good, but sad at the same time.

It has helped change how I do prenatal care and birth. That is for sure.

Quoting louzannalady:

That is so terrific that you guys listened to your guts! I am really shocked (yes, even after I have heard of a similiar nature) that the OB kept pushing getting your tubes tied. Wow! Congrats on your newest upcoming addition! : ) 

Quoting kcangel63:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
louzannalady
by Group Owner on Sep. 5, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Congrats on your pregnancy! I am glad you are an advocate in your own area of the world, to keep that birth centre open and as an option for women! I was floored when I read that they were only permitted to do 500 births a year! That is TERRIBLE! I hear good and bad about birthing in Australia, a lot depends on what part you are birthing in. I am so excited for you and cannot wait to hear your birth story! It will be amazing! 

Quoting schultzal:

I'm Amber, and I'm 26. I'm an American expat married to an Aussie, living in Sydney. I am currently pregnant with our first, and am having a birth centre birth.

I've felt fairly strongly about a more natural way of living since I was about 21 and lived in NH. People there were much more natural-minded that people from my home state of Indiana. My family is definitely not natural-minded. 

When we decided to TTC, I began educating myself on pregnancy and childbirth, and of course, was pulled more toward learning about natural childbirth than anything else. The birth centre here is only permitted to do 500 births per year, so I knew I had to book in as soon as I got two pink lines. Thankfully, I was able to book in. I did a TON of reading about childbirth of all kinds, so as to see both sides of it, and continue to believe that natural birth is the obvious best choice for any woman who is medically/physically able to have it.

The midwives at my birth centre are just floored with the amount of knowledge I have gained throughout my pregnancy, and are always impressed with the questions I ask.

Unfortunately, I learned at my appointment on Monday that the birth centre is under threat of being closed down, thanks to the board of directors of the hospital it is affiliated with. There are no other birth centres in all of New South Wales, and homebirth is becoming increasingly difficult to have. I feel very strongly about the birth centre staying open, and will do anything I can to support those midwives, starting with writing to the members of parliament and the healthcare minister, as well as the board of directors. 

louzannalady
by Group Owner on Sep. 5, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Yeah. I imagine it would! My mother was sick a lot when I was growing up, so I learned early that a good doctor is worth their weight in gold and that indifferent or uncaring doctors are a dime a dozen. I am grateful for the technology we have to help mothers who are high risk or struggling in their birth, I just feel bad that these interventions are used to heavily, that they have contributed to our high maternal death and c-section rate. 

Quoting kcangel63:

Thank you.

Unfortunately, I think that may have given me an issue with distrust of Drs. I now study everything, which is good, but sad at the same time.

It has helped change how I do prenatal care and birth. That is for sure.

Quoting louzannalady:

Quoting kcangel63:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)