Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Journeys (A getting to know you post)

Posted by   + Show Post

Let's hear about you! What are your experiences? What does having an informed birth mean to you? 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 6:38 PM
Replies (31-40):
rfhsure
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 12:00 AM

oh, no problem. I'm actually not doing the greatest today. My last ultrasound was on the third and I found I was having a boy and that the pregnancy was going great, and he was perfect. I've been really happy. But tonight around 5 I was in the shower and I saw blood and more blood. I stood in the shower in shock for a couple of minutes before I was able to get dressed and go to the hospital. The ultrasound showed that baby's heart rate is normal, and I dont have any dilation so I was relieved to see that he had a heartbeat and that he's okay. but I'm in the hospital right now and they're keeping me overnight for monitoring. They think my placenta is detaching from my uterus but that's all I really know right now. So hopefully everything turns out okay, I'm really scared.

Quoting louzannalady:

I feel so terrible, just getting back to you! I somehow missed that you quoted me and just saw this as I was leafing through the responses. How are you doing? Complications your first time around are not any higher or lower than anyone else. If you have Netflix, there is a group of documentaries on Instant Watch, called "More Business of Being Born" and they explain the differences very well on L & D, hospital birthing center and free-standing birthing center. A hospital birthing center still has the hospital feel, but it is generally easier to have a natural, limited intervention birth through one. I had my last birth in a hospital birthing center, in water,with midwives. I do highly recommend getting doula if you birth in a hospital birthing center, because it IS still a hospital, so they do treat birth very clinically and not like it is a 100% natural process- if that makes sense. Anyway, this info is late in getting to you. How are things for you, right now? 

Quoting rfhsure:

Thanks so much for all your advice! I'm so on the fence of home birth, but a lot of it is because my options now are matt's dads house, or my moms house. he's saving up to get an actual house for us and the baby which he's planning to do in the coming months. I'm thinking if he is able to do that I'll feel much more confident doing it at home because we'll actually have our own personal space. The midwife I'm interviewing is part of a midwives clinic associated with northwest hospital. the hospital has a birthing center in it, but I don't really know if that's the same thing or if that's just a better word for maternity ward? They have a birthing bar and tubs available. I'm wondering if because the midwives are associated with the hospital whether or not they're willing to attend home births, so i guess that's something i should ask on tuesday when I meet her. I've really been putting a lot of thought into doula's, I've heard so many great things about how helpful they are. and it's my first time so I could really use it! With a normal, uncomplicated pregnancy, is the likelihood of breech pregnancies and other complications as common? That's my biggest concern with homebirth is a need for transference. i really don't want to start this good experience and suddenly be surrounded by doctors. Hospitals freak me out as it is!

Quoting louzannalady:

Hi! So happy to see you here! : ) Congrats, again, on your pregnancy! : ) You are asking great questions and the reservations you feel are completely normal! 

My first recommendation is that if you do birth in the hospital, hire a doula. They are so important! They reduce your risk of c-section, reduce the amount of drugs mom use, they reduce the likelihood of PPD, and increase the mom's chance of success in nursing. You can find a doula using this link, below. The location and such is to the left. http://www.dona.org/   You can also ask about student doulas, if the doula(s) in your area charge more than you are able to pay at this point, or many will barter for you to babysit or do yardwork and such. There was a study carried out by Dr. John Kennell, on the effect doulas had on the birthng process. He said, "If a doula were a drug, it would be unethical not to use it.” Here is the study he conducted. 

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1523-536X.2008.00221.x/abstract

If you have a hospital birth, a great book to read is Henci Goer's "The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth". She outlines the most common interventions in hospital birth and looks at the merit of each practice through the eyes of reputable studies. I used this book as a jumping off point to create my birthing plan. : ) 

You said birthng at home is not an option, right now. Are there any birthing centers in your area? You can search through google to find out, or a local would know. 

As for getting your SO on board with an intervention-free or limted-intervention birth, I highly recommend you guys watch the movie "The Business of Being Born" on Netflix Instant Watch. It really helps him understand what you guys are up against in birthing in most hospitals in the US. 

Oh and this might help him understand as well. Here is a link so you can try and look up your hospital's c-section rate. Explain that that percentage of births end in major surgery at that hospital and that you would feel safer either at a birthing center or having a doula if you birth there. 

http://www.cesareanrates.com/hospital-level-cesarean-rates/

— 

Quoting rfhsure:

Hi, I'm Melissa. I'm 16 weeks along so far. It's my first baby and the amount of options out there are overwhelming! But I want to start figuring out my birthplan now because I want to get comfortable with it and prepare myself completely so I feel more comfortable when the time comes. i'm due beween february 20th and 27th. I started my doctor's visits with an OBGYN and in all honesty, I don't like her at all. She always rushes me through her office, doesn't address me by name, hasn't congratulated me and doesn't so much as ask how i'm doing when I come into her office. Our last ultrasound she didn't even turn the screen towards me so I could see the baby and I had to interrupt her saying goodbye to me 3 times just to ask her questions, because she didn't bother to ask me if I had any. This is my first child and this experience is very, very important to me. Obviously all children are, but I'm new to all this and I'm full of quesitons and my mind is like a sponge! My last visit with my OB inspired me to do what I originally thought about and pursue a midwife. I was interested in it in the very beginning but didn't know if my pregnancy was low risk and I thought a doctor would be more equipped to deal with it.

The more I've learned the more I feel like a midwife is right for me. I'm going to meet her for the first time on Tuesday so I really hope that goes well! I am prepared for the intense amount of pain I'll be going through but I really want to stick to my guns and do it drug free. A lot of my friends have said that's crazy, and I feel like people keep trying to encourage me to get the epidural. I won't be in labor til February and people are already trying to tell me how I should give birth! My baby's dads sister used one and it feels like he keeps trying to give me ideas based on what she did. I like her but this isn't her birth. I am worried he might try to push me to get one when he sees me in pain, and I'm hoping he doesnt. I am young, and very healthy. so I don't see any reason why my body can't do what it was designed to do! I am wary of a home birth because it's just not the right environment. but I'm going to a hospital that supports birth plans, so I'm hoping that will be enough. I am very scared of the pain so I've been highly considering water birth. i know it can really help with the pain and it just seems like the most natural way to do it. Baby's underwater for 9 months so why not be born into it? I read louzannaladys story and really appreciated her comments on my post when I first considered it and am pleased that this group is here. I really want to learn everything I can about the birthing process and really develop a plan that's good for me. I'm a really petite girl so I worry about tearing and things, but I don't see why I should have to get an episiotimy or use an IV during my birth. I'm mostly worried about how hospitals seems to go out of their way to encourage and facilitate interventions. Any advice on how to deal with that? Or recommendations for birthing classes that might help me learn more techniques? Any and all advice is more than welcome!

louzannalady
by Group Owner on Oct. 15, 2012 at 1:00 AM
Oh my! *hug and prayers/good vibes* I know, this is scary. I am praying very hard. Please, update when and if you can. I look forward to hearing from you and hope everything is okay.

Quoting rfhsure:

oh, no problem. I'm actually not doing the greatest today. My last ultrasound was on the third and I found I was having a boy and that the pregnancy was going great, and he was perfect. I've been really happy. But tonight around 5 I was in the shower and I saw blood and more blood. I stood in the shower in shock for a couple of minutes before I was able to get dressed and go to the hospital. The ultrasound showed that baby's heart rate is normal, and I dont have any dilation so I was relieved to see that he had a heartbeat and that he's okay. but I'm in the hospital right now and they're keeping me overnight for monitoring. They think my placenta is detaching from my uterus but that's all I really know right now. So hopefully everything turns out okay, I'm really scared.

Quoting louzannalady:

I feel so terrible, just getting back to you! I somehow missed that you quoted me and just saw this as I was leafing through the responses. How are you doing? Complications your first time around are not any higher or lower than anyone else. If you have Netflix, there is a group of documentaries on Instant Watch, called "More Business of Being Born" and they explain the differences very well on L & D, hospital birthing center and free-standing birthing center. A hospital birthing center still has the hospital feel, but it is generally easier to have a natural, limited intervention birth through one. I had my last birth in a hospital birthing center, in water,with midwives. I do highly recommend getting doula if you birth in a hospital birthing center, because it IS still a hospital, so they do treat birth very clinically and not like it is a 100% natural process- if that makes sense. Anyway, this info is late in getting to you. How are things for you, right now? 

Quoting rfhsure:

Thanks so much for all your advice! I'm so on the fence of home birth, but a lot of it is because my options now are matt's dads house, or my moms house. he's saving up to get an actual house for us and the baby which he's planning to do in the coming months. I'm thinking if he is able to do that I'll feel much more confident doing it at home because we'll actually have our own personal space. The midwife I'm interviewing is part of a midwives clinic associated with northwest hospital. the hospital has a birthing center in it, but I don't really know if that's the same thing or if that's just a better word for maternity ward? They have a birthing bar and tubs available. I'm wondering if because the midwives are associated with the hospital whether or not they're willing to attend home births, so i guess that's something i should ask on tuesday when I meet her. I've really been putting a lot of thought into doula's, I've heard so many great things about how helpful they are. and it's my first time so I could really use it! With a normal, uncomplicated pregnancy, is the likelihood of breech pregnancies and other complications as common? That's my biggest concern with homebirth is a need for transference. i really don't want to start this good experience and suddenly be surrounded by doctors. Hospitals freak me out as it is!

Quoting louzannalady:

Hi! So happy to see you here! : ) Congrats, again, on your pregnancy! : ) You are asking great questions and the reservations you feel are completely normal! 

My first recommendation is that if you do birth in the hospital, hire a doula. They are so important! They reduce your risk of c-section, reduce the amount of drugs mom use, they reduce the likelihood of PPD, and increase the mom's chance of success in nursing. You can find a doula using this link, below. The location and such is to the left. http://www.dona.org/   You can also ask about student doulas, if the doula(s) in your area charge more than you are able to pay at this point, or many will barter for you to babysit or do yardwork and such. There was a study carried out by Dr. John Kennell, on the effect doulas had on the birthng process. He said, "If a doula were a drug, it would be unethical not to use it.” Here is the study he conducted. 

If you have a hospital birth, a great book to read is Henci Goer's "The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth". She outlines the most common interventions in hospital birth and looks at the merit of each practice through the eyes of reputable studies. I used this book as a jumping off point to create my birthing plan. : ) 

You said birthng at home is not an option, right now. Are there any birthing centers in your area? You can search through google to find out, or a local would know. 

As for getting your SO on board with an intervention-free or limted-intervention birth, I highly recommend you guys watch the movie "The Business of Being Born" on Netflix Instant Watch. It really helps him understand what you guys are up against in birthing in most hospitals in the US. 

Oh and this might help him understand as well. Here is a link so you can try and look up your hospital's c-section rate. Explain that that percentage of births end in major surgery at that hospital and that you would feel safer either at a birthing center or having a doula if you birth there. 

— 

Quoting rfhsure:

Hi, I'm Melissa. I'm 16 weeks along so far. It's my first baby and the amount of options out there are overwhelming! But I want to start figuring out my birthplan now because I want to get comfortable with it and prepare myself completely so I feel more comfortable when the time comes. i'm due beween february 20th and 27th. I started my doctor's visits with an OBGYN and in all honesty, I don't like her at all. She always rushes me through her office, doesn't address me by name, hasn't congratulated me and doesn't so much as ask how i'm doing when I come into her office. Our last ultrasound she didn't even turn the screen towards me so I could see the baby and I had to interrupt her saying goodbye to me 3 times just to ask her questions, because she didn't bother to ask me if I had any. This is my first child and this experience is very, very important to me. Obviously all children are, but I'm new to all this and I'm full of quesitons and my mind is like a sponge! My last visit with my OB inspired me to do what I originally thought about and pursue a midwife. I was interested in it in the very beginning but didn't know if my pregnancy was low risk and I thought a doctor would be more equipped to deal with it.

The more I've learned the more I feel like a midwife is right for me. I'm going to meet her for the first time on Tuesday so I really hope that goes well! I am prepared for the intense amount of pain I'll be going through but I really want to stick to my guns and do it drug free. A lot of my friends have said that's crazy, and I feel like people keep trying to encourage me to get the epidural. I won't be in labor til February and people are already trying to tell me how I should give birth! My baby's dads sister used one and it feels like he keeps trying to give me ideas based on what she did. I like her but this isn't her birth. I am worried he might try to push me to get one when he sees me in pain, and I'm hoping he doesnt. I am young, and very healthy. so I don't see any reason why my body can't do what it was designed to do! I am wary of a home birth because it's just not the right environment. but I'm going to a hospital that supports birth plans, so I'm hoping that will be enough. I am very scared of the pain so I've been highly considering water birth. i know it can really help with the pain and it just seems like the most natural way to do it. Baby's underwater for 9 months so why not be born into it? I read louzannaladys story and really appreciated her comments on my post when I first considered it and am pleased that this group is here. I really want to learn everything I can about the birthing process and really develop a plan that's good for me. I'm a really petite girl so I worry about tearing and things, but I don't see why I should have to get an episiotimy or use an IV during my birth. I'm mostly worried about how hospitals seems to go out of their way to encourage and facilitate interventions. Any advice on how to deal with that? Or recommendations for birthing classes that might help me learn more techniques? Any and all advice is more than welcome!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rfhsure
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 1:04 AM

thankks so much for the kind words and the good thoughts, I'll hopefully know more in the morning, so I'll definitely let you know what's going on when I find out. Thanks again

Quoting louzannalady:

Oh my! *hug and prayers/good vibes* I know, this is scary. I am praying very hard. Please, update when and if you can. I look forward to hearing from you and hope everything is okay.

Quoting rfhsure:

Quoting louzannalady:

Quoting rfhsure:

Quoting louzannalady:

— 

Quoting rfhsure:

mftmommy
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 9:14 AM
1 mom liked this
I am praying for you and your baby boy! I'm hoping you were able to get some rest last night and that you'll have good news today. Stay strong mama!

Quoting rfhsure:

rfhsure
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 12:22 PM

thank you so much, they sent me home today and are putting me on bedrest until i can follow up with my midwife this week, so hopefully that means it's not too serious a problem. they didnt really explain to me what they saw when they went over the ultrasound so now Im just on the couch, and going to eat a delicious monte cristo and take it easy for the next week.

Quoting mftmommy:

I am praying for you and your baby boy! I'm hoping you were able to get some rest last night and that you'll have good news today. Stay strong mama!

Quoting rfhsure:

mftmommy
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 1:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Glad to hear that you're home resting (more comfortably).  It's frustrating when the medical community won't share information about our bodies with us!  I admire your response and composure.  Hopefully your midwife will be able to explain a bit more to put your mind at ease.  In the meantime, enjoy your monte cristo and rest!!! (((hugs!!)))

Quoting rfhsure:

thank you so much, they sent me home today and are putting me on bedrest until i can follow up with my midwife this week, so hopefully that means it's not too serious a problem. they didnt really explain to me what they saw when they went over the ultrasound so now Im just on the couch, and going to eat a delicious monte cristo and take it easy for the next week.

Quoting mftmommy:

Quoting rfhsure:

louzannalady
by Group Owner on Oct. 15, 2012 at 6:08 PM
*hug* Glad to hear news!

Quoting rfhsure:

Quoting mftmommy:

Quoting rfhsure:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MyIslandGirls
by on Oct. 16, 2012 at 7:47 PM
1 mom liked this

I hope that everything is ok with your baby boy RFTsure!

Ok I'll continue with my birth stories.

Baby #2  i was in a commited relationship by this time with a new man (who is now my hubby) I got pregnant 4.5 year after my first baby. Again i had an OB and again i was left by that OB. this time this ob went on a month long vacation  4 weeks from my due date. I told the OB that i would have this baby while he was gone and he just laughed at me and told me i was being silly. I was 23 years old.

at 36 weeks and 3 days i went into labour with my 2nd child. i had to take my oldest to a speech therapy session the morning before my baby was born.. and the whole time i was contracting every 20 minutes. the therapist saw me react to a contraction and asked what was going on. I simply said "I'm having contractions" he flipped and said "OH MY GOD! how far apart, should we stop the session, do you need to leave?" i calmed him down and say "it's every 20 minutes, they aren't to bad pain wise and I have a dr's appoinment right after this and the dr is around the corner from here.. please we've waited a long time for this session, continue"  he stared at me, nodded then continued. we were done with thesession in 30 minutes. i walked myself and my now 5 year old daughter to the ob's office around the corner, told the practicum resident that took over for my OB (that really pissed me off) that i was contracting and she checked me "your are 3 cm.. you can go to the hospital if you want to" i called my dad to come get me (as i had no car at the time) and he took me to the hospital. i phone my man at work and told him that dad was coming to get him from work and bring him to the hospital. I continued to contract, was checked again i was now 4 cm. after 2  more hours in the hospital i made no more change so they sent me home. I was supposed to have my baby shower that afternoon, but i canceled it because i had a feeling I would have this baby. my best friend still came over and had chili with me (which my hubby had made for the babyshower) we watched American Idol and my contractions kicked up a few notches. i was in alot of pain but my favorite contestant had had her turn yet and i refused to LEAVE until she did. i was having contractions ever 4 minutes by then. at 10pm we had dad take hubby and i to the hospital while my best friend stayed with my older daughter. (who was in bed, and i had woken her up out of a sound sleep to tell her that i was leaving to have the baby at the hospital and that her "aunty" was going to stay with her. She mumble something to me and went back to sleep. Dad got us to the hospital, hubby went in with me while dad sat in the waiting room. hubby and i walked the halls, "danced" together, i had another shower to help with the pain... but baby's heart went thactacardic and i was told to get out. i transitioned and pushed for 30 minutes. out came a tiny baby girl weighing 6 lbs 6 oz and was 20 inches long. she was deemed premature because he breathing wasn't normal.. but after a check up she was allowed to room in with me. I was left alone with hubby and babe and the nurses were wonderful . baby had no issues earthside ande we left the hospital 2 days later. She is now 6 years old and a little spitefire!

Baby # 3. My last birth. We moved away from where my girls were born...7 months after moving here i fell pregnant. i had learned alot from my first 2 births and i was determined to have a BETTER experience this time around. we got a midwife for this brith and WOW what a difference!!! we enjoyed got to appoinments, our midwife treated us like PEOPLE who understood things insted of silly little teenagers (even if we were over the age of 20) she was kind and caring and funny! I enjoyed being seen by her. When it came time to birth I was certain I'd have another 36 week old baby. and indeed i did have contracts in my 36th week... but they led no where and i was sent home to rest for the day. see i live out in a rural area, so i can't just drive down the street to the hospital when need be.  our hospital is 1 hour away now.

I did make it to my 39th week actually with this baby. 39 weeks 5 days i woke up at 2 am that morning with heavy contractions, every 3 minutes. we called the midwife to let her know we were coming, woke up my MIL to let her know so she could watch the girls for us if need be, then jumped in the care between contractions and zoomed off for the hospital. The only issue was... I transitioned in the car during the 1 hour long ride and my water hadn't broken. when were were 20 minutes away from the hospital i had to REALLY push. i crossed my legs and tried not to think about pushing... but i could feel my body doing the work for me... and i could feel my baby moving down my birth canal. i told hubby and he STEPPED on it! lol It was 3am when he skidded into the emergency parking lot. I got out on the car and tried not to push.. humming to myself and telling myself out load.. YOU CAN'T PUSH! hubby got me a wheelchair, i sat down and her flew to the elevator and up to L&D. we were met by our midwife who took one look at ame and said " Oh my you've transitioned.. ok let's go!" Hubby ran back down stairs to move the car, as i was helped into a gown by my midwife.. she kept whispering "It's ok.. he's comimg right back and I'm right here" because by now i was whimpering and calling out a little bit. i was on the verge of crying when my hubby ran back into the room, enveloped me in his arms and crushed me to his cheast. i was loosing feeling in my leggs by then and in a half crouch position because i REALLY needed to push. They got me on the bed, MW checked me i was complete and baby's head was right there. my water still hadn't broken and MW asked if i wanted her to break it I shook myhead and said "I have to PUSH"  she let me and in 4 pushes, into the mw and hubby's hands came our 3rd child, still in the sac. MW ripped the sac open and pulled our baby out and on to my cheast. a baby boy! he wiggled on my cheast, couched and took a huge breath only so SCREAM it out a moment later. The MW looked at the clock and said "3:18 am" we had been in the hospital for 18 minutes... in labour for 1 hour. This boy wanted OUT! the MW and I haggled over how big he was.. she said "Naw he can't be any more then 7 lbs.. he's tiny!" i said "I think he is heavier then 7 but not much more then that"  he was weighed.... he was 7 lbs 15 oz.. one more oz and he would have been 8 lbs!! he was 21 inches long. he settled well into life earthside, he was never suctioned so for the first 2 weeks of his life he sneezed alot.. but he's been mr healthy ever since.

This time i want a homebirth... but we will see what actually happens.

louzannalady
by Group Owner on Oct. 18, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Hey! How are things going? Still praying for you guys! 

Quoting rfhsure:

Emilytrademark
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 8:46 PM

That is insane!! Why were they trying to force that procedure on you?!

Quoting kcangel63:

My first 3 births were the "normal" vaginal hospital birth experience. All were with epidurals. My 2nd was induced (non medical reason). I read What To Expect When Expecting. I did what the Dr said, never asking why.

It wasn't until part way through my 3rd pregnancy that my ideal birth image actually began to change. I did try to birth without an epi with baby 2, but being induced, I gave in. With my 3rd, we (DH and I) were talking to my OB. She was going over what would happen during and after the birth. She mentioned how after baby was born, they would take me to the OR and get my tubes tied. DH and I were shocked! Never had we talked about this! We both said NO and that we wanted more children. She acknowledged this, went on, then repeated several more times how I would be getting my tubes tied!!!

We left, I got a new OB that delivered in a completely different hospital, and NEVER went back.

After that, when TTC our 4th, I knew I wanted a home birth. I began studying about birthing at home. The safety of them. Stastics. Getting all the facts to convince my DH. He was on board from the start. He said it was me birthing, not him, so it was my choice where and how.

We had our 4th with a CNM. Our 5th with a lay midwife. Then our 6th and 7th at home unassisted.

We are now expecting our 8th baby in December. Our 5th home birth and 3rd UC.

BabyFruit Ticker
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN