Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Journeys (A getting to know you post)

Posted by   + Show Post

Let's hear about you! What are your experiences? What does having an informed birth mean to you? 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 6:38 PM
Replies (41-50):
kcangel63
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 6:29 PM
I don't know. We didn't stay long enough to find out.

Quoting Emilytrademark:

That is insane!! Why were they trying to force that procedure on you?!

Quoting kcangel63:

My first 3 births were the "normal" vaginal hospital birth experience. All were with epidurals. My 2nd was induced (non medical reason). I read What To Expect When Expecting. I did what the Dr said, never asking why.

It wasn't until part way through my 3rd pregnancy that my ideal birth image actually began to change. I did try to birth without an epi with baby 2, but being induced, I gave in. With my 3rd, we (DH and I) were talking to my OB. She was going over what would happen during and after the birth. She mentioned how after baby was born, they would take me to the OR and get my tubes tied. DH and I were shocked! Never had we talked about this! We both said NO and that we wanted more children. She acknowledged this, went on, then repeated several more times how I would be getting my tubes tied!!!

We left, I got a new OB that delivered in a completely different hospital, and NEVER went back.

After that, when TTC our 4th, I knew I wanted a home birth. I began studying about birthing at home. The safety of them. Stastics. Getting all the facts to convince my DH. He was on board from the start. He said it was me birthing, not him, so it was my choice where and how.

We had our 4th with a CNM. Our 5th with a lay midwife. Then our 6th and 7th at home unassisted.

We are now expecting our 8th baby in December. Our 5th home birth and 3rd UC.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
alteschulemom
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 10:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I have just joined this group and I don't have much of a story to tell.  I'm still in the TTC phase of my journey and that has been hard enough on me.  It's out of my control now and I don't want my pregnancy/birth to also end up that way.  For this reason I'm working on birthing plans and finding care givers now. 

I debate about the home birth thing, my family is encouraging to me, but seeing as it's my first I'm nervous and not sure what to except and not sure I want to do it.  I think I'm settling on a hospital birth with no interventions and a midwife present.  I have a supportive family including wife, boyfriend, sister, and mother. 

So I'm looking to read stories, get more ideas, and see how it goes.

kierasmommy
by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 6:24 PM
1 mom liked this
My name is Leslie and I have one dd. Shr is 6 now and I'm expecting another little girl (edd march 29 but I have a feeling she might show up early). I had a mostly intervention free water birth in a hospital the first time around. I was naturally very trusting of my body so I think that had a lot to do with it. I went in at a 3 with cx 8 mins apart so they told me I would be there for an hour then probably get sent home. An hour later I was in transition. About an hour later, I was holding my dd. Unfortunately midwife doesn't always mean natural. She did not like water birth and told me my dd was drowning after I pushed out her head. I didn't know if she could see a problem that I was unaware of so I pushed her the rest of the way out without a cx and ended up with a 3rd degree tear and hemorraged until they pumped me full of pitocin to stop the bleeding. My birth inspired me to train as a doula and I have been practicing part time for 5 years. I am also an encapsulator :)
Due to where I live, I will be going back to the hospital for this birth but am armed this time with my doula training, a VERY educated dh, a new midwife team and a doula of my own.
louzannalady
by Group Owner on Dec. 24, 2012 at 9:13 PM
Welcome to the group! What an interesting story!

Quoting kierasmommy:

My name is Leslie and I have one dd. Shr is 6 now and I'm expecting another little girl (edd march 29 but I have a feeling she might show up early). I had a mostly intervention free water birth in a hospital the first time around. I was naturally very trusting of my body so I think that had a lot to do with it. I went in at a 3 with cx 8 mins apart so they told me I would be there for an hour then probably get sent home. An hour later I was in transition. About an hour later, I was holding my dd. Unfortunately midwife doesn't always mean natural. She did not like water birth and told me my dd was drowning after I pushed out her head. I didn't know if she could see a problem that I was unaware of so I pushed her the rest of the way out without a cx and ended up with a 3rd degree tear and hemorraged until they pumped me full of pitocin to stop the bleeding. My birth inspired me to train as a doula and I have been practicing part time for 5 years. I am also an encapsulator :)

Due to where I live, I will be going back to the hospital for this birth but am armed this time with my doula training, a VERY educated dh, a new midwife team and a doula of my own.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Theemom
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 6:49 PM
1 mom liked this
Hello i'm Andrea. Im am pregnant with my 5th child. I had all first four natural. I was considering the Epidural but thank GOD he came late. LoL. On this pregnancy im really thinking of a water birth. Im nervous about different things but will like to know more about it.
louzannalady
by Group Owner on Jan. 1, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Feel free to post questions! : ) Will this be a hospital, free-standing birthing center or home birth? : ) 

Quoting Theemom:

Hello i'm Andrea. Im am pregnant with my 5th child. I had all first four natural. I was considering the Epidural but thank GOD he came late. LoL. On this pregnancy im really thinking of a water birth. Im nervous about different things but will like to know more about it.

Theemom
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 7:12 PM
It will be hospital

Quoting louzannalady:

Feel free to post questions! : ) Will this be a hospital, free-standing birthing center or home birth? : ) 

Quoting Theemom:

louzannalady
by Group Owner on Jan. 1, 2013 at 7:14 PM

My last birth was a water birth in a hosptial birthing center. Will you be under the care of a midwife or OB/GYN and do they have any quirky "rules" like you can't push in the water?

Quoting Theemom:

It will be hospital

Quoting louzannalady:

Quoting Theemom:

Theemom
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 7:52 PM
1 mom liked this
I have a midwife. I definitely need to be sure if I can have a water birth. In the past I remember the hospital offering it.

Quoting louzannalady:

Quoting Theemom:

laditz89
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:35 PM

I'm Jessica, and I'm currently 10 weeks 3 days pregnant with my first child. A dear friend of mine struggled with infertility for 5 years before she could concieve, and in that time, she and I would read research on basically everything baby related we could get our hands on, so I'd like to think I'm reasonably educated on pregnancy and child birth, but I'm a research nut, and any information I can get my hands on I get excited about, so this group seemed like the perfect fit for me. 

I live in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho, and I plan on having a midwife assisted hospital birth. This isn't my ideal situation, but unfortunately it's the closest state insurance would cover. I won't get my water birth, and I will be stuck in a hospital setting, but my midwife thus far seems supportive of my wants, (non-medicated, the ability to move around, she won't clamp the umbilical cord until it stops pulsing, etc.) I will get a tub to labor in, but I can't push in the water, so at least I get a bit of a compromise on that lol. 

I'm looking forward to getting to know others on this board and learning more :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN