Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Journeys (A getting to know you post)

Posted by   + Show Post

Let's hear about you! What are your experiences? What does having an informed birth mean to you? 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 6:38 PM
Replies (51-60):
louzannalady
by Group Owner on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Welcome to the group! : ) You will LOVE the additional resources forum of this group! : ) AND if you have articles and info and links, we would LOVE for you to add them to that forum! Information is power! : ) 

Quoting laditz89:

I'm Jessica, and I'm currently 10 weeks 3 days pregnant with my first child. A dear friend of mine struggled with infertility for 5 years before she could concieve, and in that time, she and I would read research on basically everything baby related we could get our hands on, so I'd like to think I'm reasonably educated on pregnancy and child birth, but I'm a research nut, and any information I can get my hands on I get excited about, so this group seemed like the perfect fit for me. 

I live in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho, and I plan on having a midwife assisted hospital birth. This isn't my ideal situation, but unfortunately it's the closest state insurance would cover. I won't get my water birth, and I will be stuck in a hospital setting, but my midwife thus far seems supportive of my wants, (non-medicated, the ability to move around, she won't clamp the umbilical cord until it stops pulsing, etc.) I will get a tub to labor in, but I can't push in the water, so at least I get a bit of a compromise on that lol. 

I'm looking forward to getting to know others on this board and learning more :)

SarineLewis
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 7:50 PM
I'm Mandy, 25. Dh and I have been married for almost 4 years. We have 2 children. 14 mo and 1 mo.
With my first I didn't really study enough. I thought I had, but got an eye opener. At 8 days "over due" I went in for an induction. I was on pitocin for a few hours until we decided it was getting late and should sleep. (I never did sleep because I was so nervous of the pitocin) We started it back up the following morning. After 29 long, hard hours on pitocin (no epidural mind you) my son was born. I hadn't really wanted to do the pitocin, but my dh and dr had talked me into it. Found out the placenta was deteriorating. Dr said if we had waited another week bad things could have happened. Breast feeding didn't work out either. Too many things went against it and at 6 weeks I stopped pumping and switched to the bottle. I don't regret it either.
This time around I decided to get induced again only not with pitocin. I went in over 2 weeks past my due date and got a pill placed in my hoo haa. 8 hours later dd was born. She's a natural nurser. Even though it isn't a homebirth that I would prefer (not possible in my town unless I did it without a midwife or anyone, which dh isn't comfortable with) I think this time went way better. I had remembered the things I read in the book "Active birth" and I think it helped things progress quickly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
louzannalady
by Group Owner on Apr. 1, 2013 at 12:12 AM
1 mom liked this

I am glad you had a more comfortable experience the second time around! : ) And this group isn't just for home birthing! : ) It's for women to learn about all of their options, no matter where or how they choose to birth! :  ) That is really something to go 29 hours of Pit with no epi! You are a trooper, Momma! : )

Quoting SarineLewis:

I'm Mandy, 25. Dh and I have been married for almost 4 years. We have 2 children. 14 mo and 1 mo.
With my first I didn't really study enough. I thought I had, but got an eye opener. At 8 days "over due" I went in for an induction. I was on pitocin for a few hours until we decided it was getting late and should sleep. (I never did sleep because I was so nervous of the pitocin) We started it back up the following morning. After 29 long, hard hours on pitocin (no epidural mind you) my son was born. I hadn't really wanted to do the pitocin, but my dh and dr had talked me into it. Found out the placenta was deteriorating. Dr said if we had waited another week bad things could have happened. Breast feeding didn't work out either. Too many things went against it and at 6 weeks I stopped pumping and switched to the bottle. I don't regret it either.
This time around I decided to get induced again only not with pitocin. I went in over 2 weeks past my due date and got a pill placed in my hoo haa. 8 hours later dd was born. She's a natural nurser. Even though it isn't a homebirth that I would prefer (not possible in my town unless I did it without a midwife or anyone, which dh isn't comfortable with) I think this time went way better. I had remembered the things I read in the book "Active birth" and I think it helped things progress quickly.

SarineLewis
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 1:38 AM
I've wanted a home birth though:)
Thank you! I had a gut wrenching feeling about halfway through the pregnancy to not get one. Something bad would happen to my baby if I had.
This time by the time I felt I needed one it was too late. Plus I reminded myself of the experience with ds. Labor was only 8 hours and I'd feel silly after lol.

Quoting louzannalady:

I am glad you had a more comfortable experience the second time around! : ) And this group isn't just for home birthing! : ) It's for women to learn about all of their options, no matter where or how they choose to birth! :  ) That is really something to go 29 hours of Pit with no epi! You are a trooper, Momma! : )

Quoting SarineLewis:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
louzannalady
by Group Owner on Apr. 1, 2013 at 9:40 AM

*hug* I understand that tossing and turning feeling over a this decision. 

Quoting SarineLewis:

I've wanted a home birth though:)
Thank you! I had a gut wrenching feeling about halfway through the pregnancy to not get one. Something bad would happen to my baby if I had.
This time by the time I felt I needed one it was too late. Plus I reminded myself of the experience with ds. Labor was only 8 hours and I'd feel silly after lol.

Quoting louzannalady:

Quoting SarineLewis:

familyisamour
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Our daughter wasn't planned as many pregnancies aren't these days, but we still welcomed the idea of being parents as if we were planning it. I didn't really do any research because everyone in my family has had a hospital birth so that's what I thought was right. I didn't have a BAD experience, but it didn't feel as special as I thought it would feel. I loved my daugther the second she was placed on my chest, but from the pain meds and epidural I was a bit out of it. After her birth, I began watching documentaries, doing research, and talking with a friend who had a homebirth and decided I was going with a midwife and birth center with my next child. I am no 11 weeks pregnant and have already met with them midwifes at the birth center I will be delivering at and have never felt more confident, comfortable, and cared about :) Since my epidural bag was empty just minutes before I started pushing, I'm confident that I can do this with no unnecessary interventions and hope for a happy/healthy baby.

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
louzannalady
by Group Owner on Apr. 1, 2013 at 9:50 AM

*hug* I can understand how an experience can not be "bad", but can be less than ideal or less than hoped for! I am excited you have found a birthing location and attendants that you are comfortable with! : ) You can do this! : ) My first, I had an epidural, too. My second I did not. Support makes ALL the difference! 

Quoting familyisamour:

Our daughter wasn't planned as many pregnancies aren't these days, but we still welcomed the idea of being parents as if we were planning it. I didn't really do any research because everyone in my family has had a hospital birth so that's what I thought was right. I didn't have a BAD experience, but it didn't feel as special as I thought it would feel. I loved my daugther the second she was placed on my chest, but from the pain meds and epidural I was a bit out of it. After her birth, I began watching documentaries, doing research, and talking with a friend who had a homebirth and decided I was going with a midwife and birth center with my next child. I am no 11 weeks pregnant and have already met with them midwifes at the birth center I will be delivering at and have never felt more confident, comfortable, and cared about :) Since my epidural bag was empty just minutes before I started pushing, I'm confident that I can do this with no unnecessary interventions and hope for a happy/healthy baby.

MomTimSaria
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:03 AM
1 mom liked this

My name is Regina. I am have a dd she is 15 months.  I have a son he is 5 years old.  I am currently 38 weeks pregnant with baby #3.  My first two pregnancies where hospital births.  My last baby will be a hospital birth with help from my wonderful doula.  My journey was smooth, both spontaneous labors then arrive at hosptal to have two vaginal births.   With help of epi.  This last birth with be as natural as possible.  I am going to labor at home for as long as possible.  Then head to hosptal to have baby.  I have decided that if we get pregnant again I will go to a birthing center.  This pregnancy I have had lots of stress because in the beginning I was unimformed.  But around 29 weeks I came upon this group with Cafemom and Now I am informed.  I hired a doula!  I believe that I had a false GD diagnosis and if anyone asks me I always tell the story of why I feel it is false. Because of my A1-C being lower than the lowest number on the chart.  I have managed my sugar levels by not really changing my diet at all except eliminating orange juice and honey from it.  But I am sure that it was a false result and I found out after that I could have refused it.  My baby is 7 lbs. or so the sonogram machine says she is 7 lbs.    I am looking forward to my natual vaginal birth any day now.  I look forward to leaving the hospital all together as a family and I will never return to a hospital for a hospital birth again in life.  Being informed means that I am not just going to say okay when a doctor tries to tell me to do something that I don't want to do.  Since it is my body and my baby!

louzannalady
by Group Owner on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:26 AM
*hug* I am excited for you and your upcoming birth! :) I am so glad you feel confident! : )
Quoting MomTimSaria:

My name is Regina. I am have a dd she is 15 months.  I have a son he is 5 years old.  I am currently 38 weeks pregnant with baby #3.  My first two pregnancies where hospital births.  My last baby will be a hospital birth with help from my wonderful doula.  My journey was smooth, both spontaneous labors then arrive at hosptal to have two vaginal births.   With help of epi.  This last birth with be as natural as possible.  I am going to labor at home for as long as possible.  Then head to hosptal to have baby.  I have decided that if we get pregnant again I will go to a birthing center.  This pregnancy I have had lots of stress because in the beginning I was unimformed.  But around 29 weeks I came upon this group with Cafemom and Now I am informed.  I hired a doula!  I believe that I had a false GD diagnosis and if anyone asks me I always tell the story of why I feel it is false. Because of my A1-C being lower than the lowest number on the chart.  I have managed my sugar levels by not really changing my diet at all except eliminating orange juice and honey from it.  But I am sure that it was a false result and I found out after that I could have refused it.  My baby is 7 lbs. or so the sonogram machine says she is 7 lbs.    I am looking forward to my natual vaginal birth any day now.  I look forward to leaving the hospital all together as a family and I will never return to a hospital for a hospital birth again in life.  Being informed means that I am not just going to say okay when a doctor tries to tell me to do something that I don't want to do.  Since it is my body and my baby!

princess_peach
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:38 AM

Hi, I'm Heather. My journey started when I was pregnant with my first baby in 2009. A friend lent me the book "Your Best Birth" and told me to also watch Business of Being Born. I hoped for a natural birth, but had less than supportive staff attending to me when I was in labor. I wasn't as prepared as I thought and the staff talked me into an epidural. Getting that epi was the worst part of the entire experience and I hated the way it made me feel. I vowed to myself that I would prepare more and do things different the next time around. I went to an LC for some breastfeeding help, and realized that was my calling. I became a Lactation Educator/Counselor and am still working on requirements to become an IBCLC.

During the next year and a half, I researched natural birth like crazy. I met with midwives and became an assistant for one of them. I saw homebirth and decided that is what I wanted. During my training to be a midwife assistant, I got pregnant again. I was so excited to birth my baby at home! I took HypnoBirthing and felt very prepared. Well, due to financial issues and a weird situation with the midwife, my home birth dream was taken away from me. I ended up finding a CNM at a hospital over an hour away because I could not get myself to birth at the same hospital as I did with my first.

I had a very fast labor and only had to spend 20 minutes in the hospital before baby came. My CNM was fabulous, but there were still things that bothered me about the way things were done in the hospital.

I have since become a HypnoBirthing instructor. I am passionate about birth and breastfeeding. I feel so strongly that women need to be educated on both of these. We need to have as much information as we can, so we can make the best decisions for ourselves and our babies.
Most importantly, we need to know how amazing our bodies are and trust in them!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)