Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Castor oil

Posted by on Oct. 18, 2012 at 12:41 PM
  • 18 Replies
  • 386 Total Views

What are some of the benefits to using castor oil to induce labor?

It can cause stomach irritation that can stimulate contractions. It is a natural product and not a drug. Some providers will recommend this as a way to induce labor. One theory of how castor oil works, is that it stimulates smooth tissue, such as the uterus.

What are some of the risks to using castor oil to induce labor?

It might make a baby have his or her first bowel movement in utero, which can be very dangerous for baby. It is not studied extensively for the use of induction, so we don't konw if it causes the movement or if it is a coincidence since many women who use it to induce are past 40 weeks (which increases this risk by iteself).

One of theory of how castor oil works, is making mom dehydraated for diarrhea, which signals the body to start labor, because it tells mom's body it is an unsafe for the continuing to carry baby. Laboring while dehydrated is a huge contributor to the diagnosis of "failure to progress" and poses a host of dangers to mom and baby. 

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19780733 (Study on people)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11717994?dopt=Abstract (Study on rats) 

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10631825?dopt=Abstract (Study on people)

What are ways of mitigating my risks?

Make sure you drink a ton of water BEFORE and AFTER you take castor oil. Make sure, to not follow no food/no liquids by mouth orders once you arrive at the hospital, especially if you did develop diarrhea.

Perhaps, take a smaller dosage. This is one that I have heard. It is genter than most methods: 1 teaspoon for the first dose in orange juice. One teaspoon four hours later, in orange juice. And six hours later, another teaspoon in orange juice. 

DISCLAIMER: Please, bear in mind this or any other advice or information posted in this group does not replace the need to have these conversations with your provider on the risks and benefits. 

by on Oct. 18, 2012 at 12:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mylovey
by on Oct. 18, 2012 at 3:40 PM

This evidence though is not 100 percent (and there is very little research on this topic). It could also be that because most women are taking castor oil past 40 weeks, this is the real reason babies are passing their first BM in-utero (babies past 40 weeks are more likely to have their first BM in-utero). Ina May mentions castor oil in her Ina May's Guide to Childbirth as a quite safe way to induce labor. Midwives still recommend this today. Mine does....... as with anything though the benefits need to outweigh the risks, and the mother needs to make the decision knowing all the facts and evidence. 

Mommy to little Miss. Saylor, and little Mr. Finley. 

louzannalady
by Group Owner on Oct. 18, 2012 at 3:44 PM

I agree. Some midwives do recommend it. I agree. That women need to know their options. The benefit is obvious- labor could be triggered. But, there are risks. I will go back and amend my statements accordingly. Thank you. 

Quoting mylovey:

This evidence though is not 100 percent (and there is very little research on this topic). It could also be that because most women are taking castor oil past 40 weeks, this is the real reason babies are passing their first BM in-utero (babies past 40 weeks are more likely to have their first BM in-utero). Ina May mentions castor oil in her Ina May's Guide to Childbirth as a quite safe way to induce labor. Midwives still recommend this today. Mine does....... as with anything though the benefits need to outweigh the risks, and the mother needs to make the decision knowing all the facts and evidence. 

mylovey
by on Oct. 18, 2012 at 3:49 PM
1 mom liked this

You are welcome, and thank you. :)

Quoting louzannalady:

I agree. Some midwives do recommend it. I agree. That women need to know their options. The benefit is obvious- labor could be triggered. But, there are risks. I will go back and amend my statements accordingly. Thank you. 

Quoting mylovey:

louzannalady
by Group Owner on Oct. 18, 2012 at 3:51 PM

I hope that is a bit better. I was mostly creating a quick blurb, so I can get info down and can expound on it later. I lost my computer for a few days and did not have assess to most of my links so I wanted to get these things down, so I don't lose what I need to post more about! It was scary not having all of my links! 

Quoting mylovey:

Quoting louzannalady:

Quoting mylovey:

mylovey
by on Oct. 18, 2012 at 3:59 PM

lol, Oh I understand. Castor oil is a very controversial topic. I was actually opposed to it, and then I went past 41 weeks. I knew that at 42 weeks you end up having to have a BPP done, and it could lead to a hospital birth (our area hospitals do not have great numbers). I was more open to it though after reading what Ina May had to say about it. Then when my Midwife mentioned it, I did some research of my own. After all that I felt comfortable doing it, though I wouldn't do it again unless I were in the same situation. 

Quoting louzannalady:

I hope that is a bit better. I was mostly creating a quick blurb, so I can get info down and can expound on it later. I lost my computer for a few days and did not have assess to most of my links so I wanted to get these things down, so I don't lose what I need to post more about! It was scary not having all of my links! 

Quoting mylovey:

Quoting louzannalady:

Quoting mylovey:

louzannalady
by Group Owner on Oct. 18, 2012 at 4:03 PM

That rocks! : ) That's what it's all about! Weighing our individual circumstances, values and research we have done and making the best decision! : ) So glad things went well. How old is your LO, now? : ) 

Quoting mylovey:

lol, Oh I understand. Castor oil is a very controversial topic. I was actually opposed to it, and then I went past 41 weeks. I knew that at 42 weeks you end up having to have a BPP done, and it could lead to a hospital birth (our area hospitals do not have great numbers). I was more open to it though after reading what Ina May had to say about it. Then when my Midwife mentioned it, I did some research of my own. After all that I felt comfortable doing it, though I wouldn't do it again unless I were in the same situation. 

Quoting louzannalady:

Quoting mylovey:

Quoting louzannalady:

Quoting mylovey:

mylovey
by on Oct. 18, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Exactly! He is 2.5 months old. We were in the same due date group, and I always enjoyed seeing your replies. How old is your little one? I just LOVE babies. I already want another one. :)

Quoting louzannalady:

That rocks! : ) That's what it's all about! Weighing our individual circumstances, values and research we have done and making the best decision! : ) So glad things went well. How old is your LO, now? : ) 

Quoting mylovey:

Quoting louzannalady:

Quoting mylovey:

Quoting louzannalady:

Quoting mylovey:

louzannalady
by Group Owner on Oct. 18, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Lol! I KNEW your name looked familiar! : ) He is three months old, now. He was conceived because of Halloween and was born on Friday, July 13th- I hope he isn't macabre or have a morbid sense of humor! Lol! : ) 

Quoting mylovey:

Exactly! He is 2.5 months old. We were in the same due date group, and I always enjoyed seeing your replies. How old is your little one? I just LOVE babies. I already want another one. :)

Quoting louzannalady:

Quoting mylovey:

Quoting louzannalady:

Quoting mylovey:

Quoting louzannalady:

Quoting mylovey:

birthymom4
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Furthermore, one of the ways castor oil works, is making mom dehydrated for diarrhea

This is false. Many women show no signs of dehydration, It is believed to stimulate smooth muscle tissue (The bowels/and the uterus) no evidence says that it causes Dehydration induced contractions. I know a few women personally who have used this WITHOUT having diarrhea but yet had their babies. Also, there is no "evidence that Castor Oil causes Meconium staining...To have evidence you HAVE to have a study that does not ignore certain factors.

louzannalady
by Group Owner on Nov. 8, 2012 at 2:31 PM

There is no evidence anywhere. It has not been studied! Some women DO become dehydrated by the use of castor oil. Some women do not. It is a real risk, especially, if a woman does have diarrhea, then goes on to birth in a hospital with that follows NPO. If a woman wants to use it and is fine with the risks, then like any intervention, that is wonderful. I wish her well. I am glad she made an informed decision and that is what we are going for. Knowing what each risk is and how likely it is. There are no studies, so we don't know exactly how this works or if it does. Like the passing of meconium- it may be a coincide that it happens, because a woman who mightt try castor oil may be close to being a post-date, which is a risk factor in and of itself for passing of meconium. She also would have the odds in her favor of going into labor anyway, since only 7% of women go on to be a post-date, anyway. 

Quoting birthymom4:

Furthermore, one of the ways castor oil works, is making mom dehydrated for diarrhea

This is false. Many women show no signs of dehydration, It is believed to stimulate smooth muscle tissue (The bowels/and the uterus) no evidence says that it causes Dehydration induced contractions. I know a few women personally who have used this WITHOUT having diarrhea but yet had their babies. Also, there is no "evidence that Castor Oil causes Meconium staining...To have evidence you HAVE to have a study that does not ignore certain factors.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)