Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does my water need to be broken to birth?

Posted by on Oct. 23, 2012 at 1:33 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 228 Total Views

Artifical Rupture of Membranes (AROM) is a very common practice to "speed up" (augment) labor. Studies are showing a number of risks and very little benefit to this practice. From a biological standpoint, your water never HAS to break for baby to be born. This is called "en caul". : )

Artifical rupture of membranes increases the risk of cord prolapse (which is VERY dangerous for baby), increased risk of infection, increased risk of being pressured for an unneeded c-section, increase pain level for mom, increased chance baby will become malpresented (baby will not be able to move easily with contractions into a good position for birth, they are stuck in whatever position they were in when the water was broken), increased chance of baby going into distress (the waters are there to act as padding during contractions), increased pressure to use continuous fetal monitoring (which does not increase a baby's APGAR score, but drastically increases mom's c-section rate!). 

http://www.babymed.com/en-caul-delivery

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9624837

http://www.getbabied.com/2011-01-09/pitocin-or-arom-how-to-augment

by on Oct. 23, 2012 at 1:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
SadieJames
by on Oct. 23, 2012 at 1:35 PM
1 mom liked this
There was a video floating around of a caul water birth - it was pretty awesome : )
MyIslandGirls
by on Oct. 23, 2012 at 2:38 PM
1 mom liked this

My 3rd was a en caul birth. My water never broke at all.. my midwife asked if i would like her to break them i said no.. she grinned and says "a special day then! baby is to be born in the caul" and he was. When i pushed, everything came out.. my son, in the sac with his placenta following behind. he landed into my hubby's and the midwife's hands, she placed him on the bed below me,opened the sac, scooped him out and plopped him on my chest. i think it was a few minute longer than that of course, maybe 2 minutes. he could breathe and i heard him cry while still in the sac (it was muffled) but because he was in it completely they had to take asecond to get everything off of him.  he was a little sneezey for a few weeks after birth since the good squeeze they get from going through the birth canal, didn't really work for him. but other than that, he's been as healthy as a horse.

birthymom4
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 12:03 PM

I let them break my water at 9cm.

If not my labor stalls, and I stay at 9 (I know it may progress after a few hours but I have LONG labors as it is).

louzannalady
by Group Owner on Nov. 8, 2012 at 12:09 PM

True. Sometimes, it can shorten labor, at the very, very end. I kind of posted this so women know, it carries risks. And that is not medically required. Baby can/will come out eventually! : ) That being said, I am glad you knew the risks and benefits and did what was the best for you and your LO's! : ) 

Quoting birthymom4:

If not my labor stalls, and I stay at 9 (I know it may progress after a few hours but I have LONG labors as it is).

birthymom4
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Quoting louzannalady:

True. Sometimes, it can shorten labor, at the very, very end. I kind of posted this so women know, it carries risks. And that is not medically required. Baby can/will come out eventually! : ) That being said, I am glad you knew the risks and benefits and did what was the best for you and your LO's! : ) 

Quoting birthymom4:

There is a time and place for interventions, (Like deciding to break a water after 45 hours of labor LOL). NO intervention should be "standard"....IMO

louzannalady
by Group Owner on Nov. 8, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Rock on! : ) I hear ya and agree 100%! : ) 

Quoting birthymom4:

Quoting louzannalady:

Quoting birthymom4:

There is a time and place for interventions, (Like deciding to break a water after 45 hours of labor LOL). NO intervention should be "standard"....IMO

MyIslandGirls
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 5:25 PM
1 mom liked this

My 2nd labour was a AROM... I was 6 cm.. and the OB on call (who i didn't know at all) had been on call at the hospital for 30 hours already... he just was DONE and didn't want to be there. so he broke my water then said "Ok I'll be in the on call room, page if you need me"  thinking that he'd be able to get in a nap because i was only 6 cm... 10 minutes later i was pushing. if he left me the heck alone he would have gotten his nap in.. lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)