Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Gestational Diabetes and Concerned about Babys Weight

Posted by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 4:39 PM
  • 13 Replies
  • 294 Total Views

Despite trying my best to control blood sugars, my baby is HUGE. We just had another ultrasound yesturday at 36 weeks 2 days they are estimating her weight 8lbs 7 oz. My c section is scheduled for Nov 15 I am really concerned how much more she will grow in the next 3 weeks. My first was 8lbs 8 oz. How big was your baby?

by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 4:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
clairewait
by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 9:55 PM

My first was 8 and a half and my second was 7 and a half a week early. I delivered both vaginally, and though I'm tall, I'm not a large woman (size 4, normally).

Honestly. 10+ pound babies are becoming more and more common, and I know MANY women who deliever them vaginally.

It is easy to psyche yourself out and get all freaked out, but you are having a c-section, which means you'll not only be okay, BUT, big babies eat more, sleep more, and are overall easier in the first few weeks!

(Just don't cut the tags off any NB onesies!)

Claire Wait

My blog: TheUnderToad.com

louzannalady
by Group Owner on Oct. 26, 2012 at 10:22 PM
My first was 7 lbs 14 oz. My second was 8 lbs 16 oz. Both vaginal. The ACOG states there is no way to diagnose fetal macrosomia (big baby) before the baby is born. I never really worry how big they are! : )
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mylovey
by on Oct. 27, 2012 at 12:53 AM

My first was 9lbs, 2oz. I gave birth to her vaginally, in the hospital with an epidural. Fin weighed 10lbs, 5oz. He was born vaginally, naturally at home. I would be careful with those estimates. My sister had gestational diabetes, and they believed she was carrying a very large baby. She an 8lb baby at 39 weeks naturally (the baby was even sunny side up). 

Mommy to little Miss. Saylor, and little Mr. Finley. 

mylovey
by on Oct. 27, 2012 at 12:57 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting clairewait:

My first was 8 and a half and my second was 7 and a half a week early. I delivered both vaginally, and though I'm tall, I'm not a large woman (size 4, normally).

Honestly. 10+ pound babies are becoming more and more common, and I know MANY women who deliever them vaginally.

It is easy to psyche yourself out and get all freaked out, but you are having a c-section, which means you'll not only be okay, BUT, big babies eat more, sleep more, and are overall easier in the first few weeks!

This...... he is a great eater, and sleeps wonderfully (even slept through the night a few times in the first month). In the beginning, he didn't even seem like a newborn. He was so easy compared to DD, and she was pretty easy lol. :)

louzannalady
by Group Owner on Oct. 27, 2012 at 1:05 AM
I agree! My second is soooo mellow! I thought my first was easy! I did not know babies this young, EBF *COULD* sleep through the night! DS2 is bigger than DS1.

Quoting mylovey:

Quoting clairewait:

This...... he is a great eater, and sleeps wonderfully (even slept through the night a few times in the first month). In the beginning, he didn't even seem like a newborn. He was so easy compared to DD, and she was pretty easy lol. :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mylovey
by on Oct. 27, 2012 at 1:09 AM

Same here..... I also thought that they just couldn't sleep through the night. Like it was a myth or something, lol. 

Quoting louzannalady:

I agree! My second is soooo mellow! I thought my first was easy! I did not know babies this young, EBF *COULD* sleep through the night! DS2 is bigger than DS1.

Quoting mylovey:

Quoting clairewait:

louzannalady
by Group Owner on Oct. 27, 2012 at 1:21 AM
Yeah. DS1 woke every three hours at night, until he was eight months. I sometimes wonder if DS2 is defective for how well he sleeps! Lol! From a biological perspective, they are supposed to.wake frequently. I guess, every person truly is unique! : )
Quoting mylovey:

Same here..... I also thought that they just couldn't sleep through the night. Like it was a myth or something, lol. 

Quoting louzannalady:

Quoting mylovey:

Quoting clairewait:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
clairewait
by on Oct. 27, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Both of my BF'ed babaies slept through the night at 6 weeks. I have no idea what the magical age or weight is for this to happen, but my pediatrician said if a baby isn't sleeping through the night by 4 months, it was more of a mommy issue than a baby issue.

I guess I'm in the boat that would tend to agree.

Unfortunately, we now live in a day and age where the Internet has become the "expert" and all of us are just making comparisons to everyone else based on what we can share IMMEDIATELY on the Internet and trying to label ourselves as "normal."

There was obviously a time in history when doing "whatever works for you" coulnd't possibly be put up for scrutiny (except maybe by your own mother). I'm not going to begrudge anyone who is still willing to wake up every three hours with a baby for a year. I just happen to be more selfish about my sleep than that! Hah.

Claire Wait

My blog: TheUnderToad.com

louzannalady
by Group Owner on Oct. 27, 2012 at 11:14 AM
1 mom liked this
It is actually a safety mechanism for a baby to startle and wake every so often at night. This protects a baby from SIDS. It has only been since the 1920's and 1950's that our culture moved away from practices that were biologically sound (breast feeding on demand and sharing a sleeping space and not expecting baby to sleep for long stretches). I breast feed and bed share (which works for our family. I do not knock those who do not feel it is safe.), so a thirty second wake up to pop baby on is not an issue! : ) I have raised DS1 and DS2 the same. Each child really is unique and has their own needs, regardless of what I do. My job is to just met those needs. : )

http://www.naturalchild.org/james_mckenna/cosleeping.pdf

Quoting clairewait:

Both of my BF'ed babaies slept through the night at 6 weeks. I have no idea what the magical age or weight is for this to happen, but my pediatrician said if a baby isn't sleeping through the night by 4 months, it was more of a mommy issue than a baby issue.

I guess I'm in the boat that would tend to agree.

Unfortunately, we now live in a day and age where the Internet has become the "expert" and all of us are just making comparisons to everyone else based on what we can share IMMEDIATELY on the Internet and trying to label ourselves as "normal."

There was obviously a time in history when doing "whatever works for you" coulnd't possibly be put up for scrutiny (except maybe by your own mother). I'm not going to begrudge anyone who is still willing to wake up every three hours with a baby for a year. I just happen to be more selfish about my sleep than that! Hah.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lilysmommy2012
by on Oct. 27, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Thanks for all the imput!! I'm not so worried now, I do have to have a csection because I had to with my first and they are to close together to try natural

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)