Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Benefits and Risks of the glucose test

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 2:09 PM
  • 14 Replies
  • 1009 Total Views
2 moms liked this
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MomTimSaria
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:18 AM

Very informative! I was recently told that I have GD.  I had two elevated numbers at hous two and three.  Going to doc tomorrow to see what she suggests. I feel I can manage it on my own with the help of glucose testing daily.  I will keep you updated.  I am 29 weeks pregnant.

louzannalady
by Group Owner on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:00 AM
1 mom liked this

I would like to be kept up to date! *hug* Here is a link on the glycemic index, it helps you in figuring out which foods are going to turn to sugar in your system, because of the amount of starches and carbs in them. : ) 

http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/planning-meals/glycemic-index-and-diabetes.html

http://www.glycemicindex.com/

Quoting MomTimSaria:

Very informative! I was recently told that I have GD.  I had two elevated numbers at hous two and three.  Going to doc tomorrow to see what she suggests. I feel I can manage it on my own with the help of glucose testing daily.  I will keep you updated.  I am 29 weeks pregnant.

MomTimSaria
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Just giving you an update.  My doctor was amazing. I was afraid of being labled high-risk and having to be forced into a c-section.  I told her I was able to control the GD with self-control and using the glucose testing.  I feel very good.  I just want to have a vaginal birth and know I am very happy that I will.  Thank you for all of your articles.  I read all of them.  I will keep you updated in the future.  Thank you for caring!

MyIslandGirls
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:10 AM
1 mom liked this

I've declined the 26th week GD test this time.

louzannalady
by Group Owner on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Just curious, are you going to do a fasting A1C instead?

Quoting MyIslandGirls:

I've declined the 26th week GD test this time.

MyIslandGirls
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:00 AM

No.. not that i know of. I declined because this is my 4th baby and I've NEVER had GD before in any of my pregnancies. I just can't imagine bringing my 3 children and sitting at the lab for an hour... I've had to repeat this test once before with my 2nd children because i threw up the crap they give you about 10 minutes after taking it... that stuff is NASTY! i won't put myself through that.

My midwife said that she didn't mind if i declined it...she doesn't do A1C either... she refers all bloodwork and such to the local lab to get them done.

louzannalady
by Group Owner on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Well, that's all it is, is just a quick blood draw (usually a morning appointment, so you just fast in your sleep, then eat breakfast after your appointment). No nasty drink or anything. : ) 

Quoting MyIslandGirls:

No.. not that i know of. I declined because this is my 4th baby and I've NEVER had GD before in any of my pregnancies. I just can't imagine bringing my 3 children and sitting at the lab for an hour... I've had to repeat this test once before with my 2nd children because i threw up the crap they give you about 10 minutes after taking it... that stuff is NASTY! i won't put myself through that.

My midwife said that she didn't mind if i declined it...she doesn't do A1C either... she refers all bloodwork and such to the local lab to get them done.

MyIslandGirls
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Nope.. the only test the lab does is the syrup test.. which you have to fast for... which is why i barfed it up that one time.  cuz we went from nothing in my stomach to a large dose of sugar water in 5 minutes.  (that's the alotted time you have to drink 8 oz of this crap) I tried really hard to keep it down, knowing that if i didn't i'd be returning to do it again.  No deal.. popped my gut like a cherry tomato.... no fun. i really think that the A1C test is more reliable... but they don't do that here.

amesstobemade
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 4:19 PM

Sigh...  I just failed my 1hr test and go in thursday for my 3hr. She said my levels were medium-high.... so discouraging... as I wanted a natural birth and have been taking my bradley classes & hired a doula... everyone who I have ever know with GB has been inducded... or induced & sectioned =(

louzannalady
by Group Owner on Feb. 8, 2013 at 8:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Have you read the links? Especially, the history of the glucose test? It is actually very informative and encouraging! The things that happened to those women are because they did not do their research and consented to things without being fully informed! 

Quoting amesstobemade:

Sigh...  I just failed my 1hr test and go in thursday for my 3hr. She said my levels were medium-high.... so discouraging... as I wanted a natural birth and have been taking my bradley classes & hired a doula... everyone who I have ever know with GB has been inducded... or induced & sectioned =(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN