Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Eating during labor

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 5:20 PM
  • 27 Replies
  • 792 Total Views
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BluLady
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:10 AM
This is great information. When my decided to rush me to the hospital for our first son I felt that it was going to be bad on arrival. They wouldn't admit without proof of insurance first even though my doctor was there and told them I had it. I hadn't eaten and wasn't allowed to have anything but water until the next day. A vaginal exam was done without my consent and traumatized me in fear. It went down hill from there on. I'm waiting 3 years before having another child hopefully at home with a midwife
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
louzannalady
by Group Owner on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:51 AM
*hug* I am so sorry for your experience!

Quoting BluLady:

This is great information. When my decided to rush me to the hospital for our first son I felt that it was going to be bad on arrival. They wouldn't admit without proof of insurance first even though my doctor was there and told them I had it. I hadn't eaten and wasn't allowed to have anything but water until the next day. A vaginal exam was done without my consent and traumatized me in fear. It went down hill from there on. I'm waiting 3 years before having another child hopefully at home with a midwife
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pandapanda
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 12:25 AM
2 moms liked this

I laugh whenever I hear people say not to eat during labor, they aren't allowed to eat, they can have "all the ice chips they want".

When I was in labor with Ember, my nurse practitioner checked me at my appointment and sent me out to eat dinner before going to the birthing center. I ate a big fat teriyaki swiss burger and fries. 

Food of the (laboring) gods!

louzannalady
by Group Owner on Dec. 31, 2012 at 12:30 AM
Mmm... That sounds SOOO good! I have food poisoning or a stomach bug and am taking it easy on the food right now. Lots of liquids. So everything sounds yummy! I am starving! But, am being cautious until I am no longer woozy when I drink something..

Quoting Pandapanda:

I laugh whenever I hear people say not to eat during labor, they aren't allowed to eat, they can have "all the ice chips they want".

When I was in labor with Ember, my nurse practitioner checked me at my appointment and sent me out to eat dinner before going to the birthing center. I ate a big fat teriyaki swiss burger and fries. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pandapanda
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Yikes.. :( We had a tummy bug sweep through our house  about two weeks ago. We're just now allowing the kids to have milk and fruit again. *shudder*

Quoting louzannalady:

Mmm... That sounds SOOO good! I have food poisoning or a stomach bug and am taking it easy on the food right now. Lots of liquids. So everything sounds yummy! I am starving! But, am being cautious until I am no longer woozy when I drink something..

Quoting Pandapanda:

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
Cynthje
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 12:34 AM
1 mom liked this

I will never understand that, i cooked and ate a normal meal during both my labors, i cant imagine doing it while starving

louzannalady
by Group Owner on Dec. 31, 2012 at 12:46 AM
Yeah. We had it in Washington 2,000 miles from home, visit family on Thanksgiving for three days. Only Grandma (my stepmom who runs a preschool!) and my five month old escaped. Grandpa, me, my sister, her four year old, two year old and my twenty-three month old ALL had it the night we arrived... Then, we all had the cold from Hades the next two weeks after that cleared up. We were sick the WHOLE three weeks we were there. Only ten days after we get back for DH to get it at work and bring it home for it to sweep our house... Yay... *muted sarcasm* Sorry for the rant....

Quoting Pandapanda:

Yikes.. :( We had a tummy bug sweep through our house  about two weeks ago. We're just now allowing the kids to have milk and fruit again. *shudder*

Quoting louzannalady:

Quoting Pandapanda:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kierasmommy
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 11:56 AM
2 moms liked this
With my first, I showed up to the hospital with a chocolate muffin hanging out of my mouth and an apple juice. It was 4:30 in the morning and I had made dh stop at 3 gas stations on the way to find one. When she nurse reached for it, I slapped her hand! Do NOT attempt to come between a preggo and her chocolate!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
louzannalady
by Group Owner on Dec. 31, 2012 at 1:06 PM

That taught her! The audacity of some people's children! ; ) 

Quoting kierasmommy:

With my first, I showed up to the hospital with a chocolate muffin hanging out of my mouth and an apple juice. It was 4:30 in the morning and I had made dh stop at 3 gas stations on the way to find one. When she nurse reached for it, I slapped her hand! Do NOT attempt to come between a preggo and her chocolate!

mftmommy
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:45 AM
2 moms liked this
A woman needs energy and a sense of calm, both if which are helped by eating and drinking. It was essential for me to snack and drink gatorade through labor. I'm hypoglycemic and would not have had the energy to get through it otherwise. I followed all the silly rules while laboring with my first. Maybe that's why I ended up with a c-section! I didn't follow any rules while laboring with my second and third. Both were successful unmedicated VBACs!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)