Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Gaining weight during pregnancy

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 4:54 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 163 Total Views

Ok I'm a small girl. I'm 5'4 and a bit.. and I currently weigh around 114 lbs.

I'm on my fourth and final pregnancy.

I've never been the type that gained weight well. I either just stay the same or loose it. but gainng it is REALLY hard for me.

With my last 3 pregnancies the most i gained during one was 21 lbs.. and that finally happened about 2 days before i gave birth. I know that the minium care providers would like you to gain is 20 lbs. I'm hoping to up that a bit more this time around because I'm techincally under weight rigth now. I should be about 120 lbs.

But how to gain it? I eat and eat.. and nothing STICKS! it's driving me nuts. I'm hungry all the time so i eat all the time and i never gain a thing!

my last prenatal appointment with my midwife was Nov 27th and I had LOST weight!! The midwife recorded a weight of 117 lbs.. I'm now 114 lbs. 3 lbs isn't that much but it is to someone who can't gain weight!!

Ideas? thoughts? Am I making this out to be a mountain rather then the mole hill it actually is?

Candice - Mom to  Miss K, Miss E and Little Mr. M! We are Canadian!

Working on baby #4!

Lilypie Maternity tickers

by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 4:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Precious333
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Personally I would not worry. If you eat healthy and don't limit calories (and take more calories in) than maybe thats all you need to gain. My third pregnancy I did not weigh myself regularly, and it was so freeing!

Precious333
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 5:04 PM
1 mom liked this

oh and just a few tips, whole raw milk, whole yogurt (that is if you eat dairy products), peanutbutter, and don't buy low fat foods. Bacon is good too, whole chicken rather than low fat chicken breasts, coconut oils, those may help.

Emilytrademark
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 8:44 PM
1 mom liked this

I wish I had that problem!! But, I think your body will gain enough for you and your baby. Every body is different. Eat when you are hungry and don't try to diet. Eat many small meals throughout the day - and focus on healthy but fatty foods (omega fats are the best!) such as eggs, nuts, dairy, salmon...etc. You could also work in a tablespoon of coconut oil or olive oil per day... it's good for you & baby. Congrats .. I am almost as far along as you :) are you feeling the baby yet?

BabyFruit Ticker
MyIslandGirls
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 12:45 PM

I don't feel the baby move much at all.. and when it does, it's very faint. It's either my placenta is in the way or I'm mistaking my bubbly gut for baby's movement or visa versa. I have IBS so that means my gut is  really bubbly all the time. I mean it TALKS it's so loud. lol So i have to be careful about what i eat.

I don't drink alot of milk because i get an upset stomach from it. I'm looking into alternatives for getting the calcium i need. I eat when I'm hungry.. but that's all the time and from experience i can't eat very much in one sitting, even though I'm hungry. if i do eat too much at one time I'm in pain for hours afterwards. It's just not worth it. so i have to break down my eating habits into smaller portions and more frequent time frames.  Like right now I ate Oatmeal for breakfast about an hour ago.. and I'm hungry again. time for some fruit and nuts i think.

rachelrothchild
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 9:53 AM

I wouldn't worry about it.

mftmommy
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 12:33 PM
I had the same problem while pregnant. I struggled to gain 20 pounds with all 3 pregnancies. I was encouraged to eat ice cream - the full fat kind - every night. I too have problems with milk, I find that Lactaid helps.
kierasmommy
by on Dec. 22, 2012 at 4:35 PM
I'm the same way! And I struggle with hyperemesis so it's pretty tough. I just try not to weigh myself, my mw doesn't give me a hard time about it because my uterus in getting bigger, and I just try to trust my body. I am 5'1'' and 120 lbs at 26 weeks pregnant. I only gained 12 lbs with dd.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)