Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Update...whoops!

Posted by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 5:27 PM
  • 14 Replies
  • 204 Total Views
I meant to update you all on my TOLAC after sharing my many struggles with my care providers regarding my vbac.

I went into labor at 3am Thursday, Nov 28. I labored at home for several hours but as I was unable to contact my doula, I felt it necessary, sadly, to get to the hospital. There, I labored for 30 hours. In that time, I saw no dilation, no further effacement and no change in station. The labor was completely back labor. My doula and I tried everything to get baby to drop.

I finally agreed to have my water broken. Piles of meconium flowed out. Baby was stressed but the heartbeat was fine. I labored for six more hours. I stupidly broke down to an epidural, as I was unable to relax through the pain. I was screaming as if I were in transition and I was screaming suicidal things:/. So I finally fell asleep. I consented to a single cervical check to find I hadn't progressed any BUT baby had dropped two stations.

An hour later, I awoke to excruciating stomach pain indicative of uterine rupture. My little girl was born 5 minutes later via emergency c section. I suffered a small, fixable uterine tear. Recovery has sucked. I tore several ligaments around my hip during labor and my incision became infected. It's been a tough week and a half. But little girl is thriving. A wonderful nurser, a hungry girl and super easy---which is a blessing since I've been so immobilized.

So it was a major fail of a natural vbac....I do feel confident that I did everything in my power to have it work. And I do believe I made the right decisions for my little surprise.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 5:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Duquesne
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 5:28 PM
2 moms liked this

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GoodyBrook
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 6:19 PM

What a beautiful baby!  Congrats on a healthy baby...

I'm trying for a VBAC in a few weeks, and I appreciate your honesty.  I'm hoping for the best, but preparing mentally for another section...

Duquesne
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 6:43 PM
Don't let it dissuade you! I wouldn't trade the tol I had the chance to have. I do wish it had worked again. She had a funky presentation and the 3+ hours of contractions whittled away at the prior incision.

Good luck with your vbac! You can do it!

Quoting GoodyBrook:

What a beautiful baby!  Congrats on a healthy baby...

I'm trying for a VBAC in a few weeks, and I appreciate your honesty.  I'm hoping for the best, but preparing mentally for another section...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
louzannalady
by Group Owner on Dec. 11, 2012 at 6:43 PM
Uhh.... *hug* THAT is NOT a failure of any sort! Baby was born on a day her body was ready to be born. She got a lot of benefit from that! You did TERRIFIC! So glad you and baby are safe and that you are on the mend! You have been through a lot! She is gorgeous!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
louzannalady
by Group Owner on Dec. 11, 2012 at 6:45 PM
Oh and thanks for the update!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Duquesne
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 6:48 PM
I am proud I put off the ROM as long as I did and avoided pit the entire time. I stressed about my decisions. I'm a tad ashamed for caving to the epi but I can't imagine the pain of the rupture without it if it was excruciating with it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GoodyBrook
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Quoting Duquesne:

I am proud I put off the ROM as long as I did and avoided pit the entire time. I stressed about my decisions. I'm a tad ashamed for caving to the epi but I can't imagine the pain of the rupture without it if it was excruciating with it.

I was under the impression that pitocin is never given to a VBAC mama, as it increases contractions to the point of spurring uterine rupture?

I'm not familiar with some of the terminology being used:  ROM, TOLAC.  Can someone fill me in?

And how did the feeling of the uterine rupture differ from your labor feelings?

THANKS!

Duquesne
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 10:38 PM
That's a myth. HOWEVER it should never be used without medical indication. In my case, it wasn't necessary.

Tolac-trial of labor after cesarean
Rom-rupture of membranes

It's hard to say. After I received the epidural, I stopped feeling the pain of the contractions and only felt a low pressure. Then I felt my entire stomach constrict and it felt like it was constricted for 10 minutes and then felt a painful sensation covering my entire stomach despite the epidural.

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Quoting Duquesne:

I was under the impression that pitocin is never given to a VBAC mama, as it increases contractions to the point of spurring uterine rupture?

I'm not familiar with some of the terminology being used:  ROM, TOLAC.  Can someone fill me in?

And how did the feeling of the uterine rupture differ from your labor feelings?

THANKS!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GoodyBrook
by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Did they tell you where your rupture occured?  Was it on the scar of the old section or in a totally new location?

rachelrothchild
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 7:12 PM

I'm sorry you didn't get the outcome you wanted, but she's a beautiful girl.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)