Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

On the fence about vaccinations (vaxing)?

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 11:43 AM
  • 12 Replies
  • 769 Total Views

Preface: We honor every parents' right to informed consent and informed refusal on this very important issue. As with every choice we make, there is no cookie-cutter answer to this important topic! What works for one family or child within that family, will not for another for a multitude of reasons. Vaxing will NOT be a hot topic issue here! People who vax are not uneducated pieces of crap and parents who don't vax are not creating public health menaces! We will smile and nod and sing "Kumbia" and respect each other's choice!

Here is the list of ingredients from the CDC directly: 

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pinkbook/downloads/appendices/b/excipient-table-2.pdf

http://www.mommypotamus.com/should-parents-who-dont-vaccinate-be-prosecuted/

Here is a great paper written with information on why one mom chose not to vax. Great resources are listed in it, to get you started "down the rabbit hole" as she puts it. : )

https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1Y2hS7WxS2gU4yXCjuYx84AY60tQc2rGXnTPPWqogOfk

Great link with other great links!

http://www.jobdescriptionmommy.com/job-description-mommy/2012/03/invaluable-vaccine-information.html#comment-6a0134863db4a2970c017d3d11078a970c

Here are questions to ask about each vax as you research it, to help you weigh the risks and benefits, I borrowed it from this site: http://www.cafemom.com/group/4388/forums/read/16251622/HERE_IS_WHERE_TO_START_YOUR_RESEARCH_ON_VACCINES

Here are some questions to answer for yourself in deciding about vaccination:

1. Name of the disease

2. Description of the disease

3. Length of time from initial infection to end of all symptoms

4. Infectious period

5. Normal symptoms of the disease

6. Known serious consequences of the disease

7. Proportion of persons infected developing serious consequences

8. Transmission route of the disease

9. Prevalence of the disease

10. Treatments of the disease and efficacy of those treatments

11. Relevant research about the disease

12. Name of the vaccine

13. Company that makes the vaccine

14. Contents of the vaccine

14A. The significance of whether or not the vaccine is live

15. History of development of the vaccine

16. Known side-effects of the vaccine and rate of incidence of those side-effects

17. Possible side-effects not yet acknowledged by the vaccine maker

18. Relevant research into the vaccine

19. How effective is the vaccine at preventing the disease?

20.What is the vaccine meant to do? (Many vaccines are not meant to prevent infection or transmission).

21.Number of cases reported each year.

22.Number of deaths reported each year from the vaccine and natural disease.

by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 11:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GoodyBrook
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:41 PM
1 mom liked this

I have a natureopath who delays vaccinations until his children are 1 year old, as they are breastfed and getting their mother's immunity. 

The ONE vaccine that he refuses at all costs is for Chicken Pox...

Pandapanda
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 12:17 AM
1 mom liked this

I choose not to vaccinate at all, due to food allergies in both children as well as history of adverse reactions to vaccines. 

louzannalady
by Group Owner on Dec. 31, 2012 at 12:24 AM
Yeah... With my first I did all the normal vaxes and at his two month I did all of them that were recommended. He got a fever and became lethargic. Very scary. So, I only did one vax per appointment. It meant more appointments, but at least I would know what he was having a reaction to! Then, I started "down the rabbit hole" with looking at the ingredients on the CDC website... Scariest thing I have ever read! Yikes! For now, DS1 hasn't had a vax since 15 months and DS2 is five months and hasn't had a vax, yet. But, I am a SAHM who EBF, so I feel the risk is minute. For now, I label myself as a "long-term delay vaxer who is still doing research"! Lol!

Quoting Pandapanda:

I choose not to vaccinate at all, due to food allergies in both children as well as history of adverse reactions to vaccines. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pandapanda
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 12:30 AM

Lol! Eli had shots up until 6mo, when we lost insurance. It was a blessing in disguise. With Ember, she had her shots up to 4mo and the reaction wasn't good, so it just won't ever happen again. It's mind-blowing how much not vaccinating has changed Eli's skin! (I'm sure you know- but he has an extensive list of allergies that give him full-body eczema that will weep/bleed and become infected.) Little to no issues with it at all now. 

I've recently dipped my toe into the non-vax pool and I can't believe I never took the time to really research in-depth about such an important health decision. 

Quoting louzannalady:

Yeah... With my first I did all the normal vaxes and at his two month I did all of them that were recommended. He got a fever and became lethargic. Very scary. So, I only did one vax per appointment. It meant more appointments, but at least I would know what he was having a reaction to! Then, I started "down the rabbit hole" with looking at the ingredients on the CDC website... Scariest thing I have ever read! Yikes! For now, DS1 hasn't had a vax since 15 months and DS2 is five months and hasn't had a vax, yet. But, I am a SAHM who EBF, so I feel the risk is minute. For now, I label myself as a "long-term delay vaxer who is still doing research"! Lol!

Quoting Pandapanda:

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
louzannalady
by Group Owner on Dec. 31, 2012 at 12:41 AM
Me, too! I was drawn to the natural birth and parenting group for the birth aspect. I had bern learning about birth and pregnancy since 2007 and we did not conceive until 2009. Then, one lady made the comment to someone else along the lines of, "Why would a person birth naturally and think that is best, but not see the benefit of parenting naturally?" This really blew my mind! My son was already nine months ny this time, but I had already done my research and was bedsharing, using a paci very infrequently and spreading out vaxes. So, from there I went down the path I know has a couple of names "crunchy" or "AP".... Never in a million years thought I would know the things I know or do the things I do. I am with you: shocked I did not do my research about vaxes before I consented... I see such a HUGE difference in DS1's behavior and demeanor and appearance (he used to always have circles under his eyes) not getting the shots. Vast difference!

Quoting Pandapanda:

Lol! Eli had shots up until 6mo, when we lost insurance. It was a blessing in disguise. With Ember, she had her shots up to 4mo and the reaction wasn't good, so it just won't ever happen again. It's mind-blowing how much not vaccinating has changed Eli's skin! (I'm sure you know- but he has an extensive list of allergies that give him full-body eczema that will weep/bleed and become infected.) Little to no issues with it at all now. 

I've recently dipped my toe into the non-vax pool and I can't believe I never took the time to really research in-depth about such an important health decision. 

Quoting louzannalady:

Quoting Pandapanda:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crheinheimer
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:56 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't vax at all. At first it was only because I and my 8 siblings were not and we are the healthiest group of people around. As I got older (my first 2 were 1995 and 1997) and had a computer I began researching more and I'm so very glad I made that decision! I have very healthy children, my oldest 2 are obviously in school (and sports, one persons argued that they wouldn't be allowed to do that), and I've never had a problem. My doctor now wishes I would vax but doesn't make a huge deal out of it. I don't think people that choose to vaccinate are doing anything wrong, it's a very personal decision. But I do wish more would educate themselves on what they are injecting their children with and the possible side effects as listed on the CDC website.
gumeshoe
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:15 AM

I got bullied into the hepb shot at the peds office. I had declined it at the hospital. I researched again and realized the the peds office that lectures me to put baby on his back and to sleep in his crib (we cosleep and he is on his side, even for naps he sleeps best on his side). I didn't bother to have that conversation, it was obvious they didn't want a conversation. But they bullied me into the hep b shot. They didn't bother to inform what was a bad reaction, what to watch for. They didn't ask me if he had a bad reaction at the next visit. They just have their lecture papers based on how old baby is and plow on. I told them I was bullied into the hep b shot and I wasn't comfortable with it and would not be getting the 2 month shots due to my religious exemption.

The PA said have you not been told the vaccination policy. She didn't tell me their policy either. She just hinted that if I didn't do the shots I was not welcome to be a patient. They would not allow an unvaccinated child to endanger vaccinated children. Umm wouldn't it be the other way round? She wanted to know where I got my info from. Queue up the eye roll for the internet. Me finding out that infants have basically no exposure risk to hep b and that that shot has given people lupus and their estates have gotten cash settlements from it was not relevant. Or that France no longer gives that shot as mandatory due to all the bad reactions. I told her how much aluminum was in the hep b shot and she was mad saying how did I know. Someone read the pkg and put it on the internet. She left to go check the pkg. When she came back she dropped that. I was told the dr will call me dec 24th. My Doc was off for vacation that was dec 21st.  I knew better than expect a call Christmas Eve. But I have gotten no call at all from the dr's office. So I think I have been fired. I am not sure how to find a doctors office for little bit. I just lucked up and found the obgyn I like. But I am not going to use a doctor that is just going to lecture me on how to raise my child, like there is no options.

I have an emergency plan, take him to the urgent care I go to. They tell you what you have and the options. They may not like your choice, but they let you make it.

I just think it is terrible that the state allows exemptions but the dr's office does not. Any other issue of health care is here is what you have, here are the options, this is why I suggest this option above the others. Why are vaccinations exempt from options?

PS I got a list of the shots and names they give. The aluminum in the combined shots is 25 mcg's less than the worst possible combination. I think the 2 month shots range from about 400 to 1250, theirs was 1225. Shouldn't your PA have an intelligent answer about concerns about aluminum content, other than you can't believe what you read on the internet. So this isn't the peds office for me. But I don't know how to find a doctor. I don't know people in real life that have kids that research vax's and options. They just blindly follow what they are told to do.

louzannalady
by Group Owner on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:26 AM

What area are you in? I can ask around on a few forums I am on or you can go to the Choosing Not to Vax group and ask over there about providers in your area that honor a parent's right to informed consent/refusal! : ) If there is anything I can do to help you find a good provider, please, let me know! *hug* 

Quoting gumeshoe:

I got bullied into the hepb shot at the peds office. I had declined it at the hospital. I researched again and realized the the peds office that lectures me to put baby on his back and to sleep in his crib (we cosleep and he is on his side, even for naps he sleeps best on his side). I didn't bother to have that conversation, it was obvious they didn't want a conversation. But they bullied me into the hep b shot. They didn't bother to inform what was a bad reaction, what to watch for. They didn't ask me if he had a bad reaction at the next visit. They just have their lecture papers based on how old baby is and plow on. I told them I was bullied into the hep b shot and I wasn't comfortable with it and would not be getting the 2 month shots due to my religious exemption.

The PA said have you not been told the vaccination policy. She didn't tell me their policy either. She just hinted that if I didn't do the shots I was not welcome to be a patient. They would not allow an unvaccinated child to endanger vaccinated children. Umm wouldn't it be the other way round? She wanted to know where I got my info from. Queue up the eye roll for the internet. Me finding out that infants have basically no exposure risk to hep b and that that shot has given people lupus and their estates have gotten cash settlements from it was not relevant. Or that France no longer gives that shot as mandatory due to all the bad reactions. I told her how much aluminum was in the hep b shot and she was mad saying how did I know. Someone read the pkg and put it on the internet. She left to go check the pkg. When she came back she dropped that. I was told the dr will call me dec 24th. My Doc was off for vacation that was dec 21st.  I knew better than expect a call Christmas Eve. But I have gotten no call at all from the dr's office. So I think I have been fired. I am not sure how to find a doctors office for little bit. I just lucked up and found the obgyn I like. But I am not going to use a doctor that is just going to lecture me on how to raise my child, like there is no options.

I have an emergency plan, take him to the urgent care I go to. They tell you what you have and the options. They may not like your choice, but they let you make it.

I just think it is terrible that the state allows exemptions but the dr's office does not. Any other issue of health care is here is what you have, here are the options, this is why I suggest this option above the others. Why are vaccinations exempt from options?

PS I got a list of the shots and names they give. The aluminum in the combined shots is 25 mcg's less than the worst possible combination. I think the 2 month shots range from about 400 to 1250, theirs was 1225. Shouldn't your PA have an intelligent answer about concerns about aluminum content, other than you can't believe what you read on the internet. So this isn't the peds office for me. But I don't know how to find a doctor. I don't know people in real life that have kids that research vax's and options. They just blindly follow what they are told to do.

gumeshoe
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Greensboro, NC

I researched so much on my pregnancy, I was so tired of research, I never nailed down a doctor for my son. Heck when I was a kid you only went if it was REALLY serious. You didn't have a doctor. There was no checkups. Thankfully my son is a healthy boy, so there is no emergency need of one.

Also when I went for his 2 month check up he had a touch of something. The PA didn't care and that didn't alter her stance at all on the vax's.

Quoting louzannalady:

What area are you in? I can ask around on a few forums I am on or you can go to the Choosing Not to Vax group and ask over there about providers in your area that honor a parent's right to informed consent/refusal! : ) If there is anything I can do to help you find a good provider, please, let me know! *hug* 

louzannalady
by Group Owner on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Wow! It even says on the insert to not vax unless the person is not ill! : *(

Quoting gumeshoe:

Greensboro, NC

I researched so much on my pregnancy, I was so tired of research, I never nailed down a doctor for my son. Heck when I was a kid you only went if it was REALLY serious. You didn't have a doctor. There was no checkups. Thankfully my son is a healthy boy, so there is no emergency need of one.

Also when I went for his 2 month check up he had a touch of something. The PA didn't care and that didn't alter her stance at all on the vax's.

Quoting louzannalady:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)