Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Info on crying it out or sleep training

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 7:52 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 420 Total Views

We tried CIO with our first child. For a week. Crying. Crying. Crying. He cried so hard he would throw up. We would clean him up and try it, again, after getting him to calm down. It never did work, like we read it would. And it just made us all miserable. We will NEVER do that to one of our children AGAIN! : *(

It is a very bioloigcally unsafe and unsound practice, I later found out. It raises the stress hormone cortisol, lowers oxygen levels and increases blood pressure, which is a great combination for brain damage. Heightened cortisol levels are also connected to SIDS and ADHD. 

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/moral-landscapes/201112/dangers-crying-it-out

http://www.examiner.com/article/study-shows-babies-who-cry-it-out-remain-stressed

by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 7:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
mftmommy
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 1:59 PM
1 mom liked this
DH and I tried CIO for all of 5 minutes with our first child. She was miserable, escalating by the second, we were miserable. I've nursed and rocked my babies to sleep ever since! DD1 (now 5 years old and DS now 3 years old) fall asleep peacefully on their own following our bedtime routine of brush teeth, bath, jammies, lots of reading, praying, and lullabies. My 7 month old DD still nurses and rocks to sleep :-)

All the hours I've logged in my glider have been sooooo worth the effort. My kids are great sleepers and everyone is happy about bedtime! I thank Elizabeth Pantley for her book "The No-Cry Sleep Solution," which gave me the validation I needed to trust my instincts, and some wonderful ideas to encourage healthy sleep.
mama2gg
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:57 PM
I cio with ds worked prefect when I followed the book I will TRY with this lo when the time comes
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WonderWomanSV
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:54 AM

My husband and I differ on the subject. We cio with ds and I hated it. But dh was adament about him self soothing. I'm hoping to convience dh to let me rock and cuddle baby girl.

Precious333
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:56 AM

thank you. I have a friend who did cio a few times when she swore she would never, but found her son started sleeping through the night. I will pass this on to her!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)