Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Evening Primrose Oil

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:26 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 673 Total Views
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mama2gg
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:12 PM
1 mom liked this
This was posted in my dd group a few months ago :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GoodyBrook
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Midwife advised me NOT to take EPO (or Borage Oil) orally, as it  *might* weaken my c-section scar.  She said that it could be used safely as a cervical ripener...

louzannalady
by Group Owner on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:49 PM

BUT, the question is raised here- there are no studies confirming that it is an effect cervical ripener and that it IS safe. And the question should also be raised- it is a known blood thinner- does administering this vaginally (versus orally) diminish or reduce that property of this product? No one knows for sure.

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Midwife advised me NOT to take EPO (or Borage Oil) orally, as it  *might* weaken my c-section scar.  She said that it could be used safely as a cervical ripener...

mama2gg
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 5:44 AM
1 mom liked this
I would stay away totally if your vbac you dont want to ripen or induce anyways that increases your risk of rupture and bleeding out

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GoodyBrook
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks!  I did opt to stay away from it...  (And while we weren't able to have the birth center VBAC we worked toward (I risked out of midife's care due to high blood pressure), we DID find a wnderful hospital and had a successful VBAC there at 42.1 LMP). 

Quoting mama2gg:

I would stay away totally if your vbac you dont want to ripen or induce anyways that increases your risk of rupture and bleeding out

Quoting GoodyBrook:

mama2gg
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:22 PM
1 mom liked this
Total congrats I'm vbac in 2 months

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Thanks!  I did opt to stay away from it...  (And while we weren't able to have the birth center VBAC we worked toward (I risked out of midife's care due to high blood pressure), we DID find a wnderful hospital and had a successful VBAC there at 42.1 LMP). 

Quoting mama2gg:

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momma4xover
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:38 AM
1 mom liked this

I found this interesting because I used EPO my last pregnancy (1st since c-section) and I am totally convinced it helped me to have a successful VBAC. I used the minimum dose of 500 MG orally at night, and 1000 MG vaginally, one as a perineum massage. I had a perfect VBAC, no issues of any kind and no tearing or episiotomy. I was 42 weeks gestation and cervix was high and tightly closed until my water broke at 42 & 3, took 18 hours to soften and open and I had not one bit of fetal distress or bleeding issues. The only thing I noticed was that for the first time in 3 vaginally births, I had no pain and everything stretched perfectly! lol. Also, my doctor did research on EPO before birth because of possible section if distressed and they researched each herb etc for issues with anesthesia. They found no information like this article. Interesting to me for sure.

I should add, I didn't start taking EPO until 37 weeks, orally or vaginally. As recommended by my midwife. I birthed at an Army hospital also, and they have insane restrictions!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)