Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Birthing Center!

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:56 PM
  • 17 Replies
  • 1085 Total Views

I think I have found a birthing center within 20 minutes of me that accepts my insurance! I didn't think it was possible. I had resigned myself to another hospital birth, which was really making me anxious. I just had to share my relief! 

happy

BabyFruit Ticker
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
louzannalady
by Group Owner on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Yay! I completely understand that feeling of relief!!!! : ) So excited for you! : ) 

mama2gg
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:55 AM
Awww how awesome I'm doing a homebirth next time I'm vbac and feel more comfortable at hospital this time I've already found a midwife that I love she would take me now but I just feel comfy were I am ")
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Emilytrademark
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:01 AM

I think it's so important to feel comfortable with your birth plan, be it hospital, home or in-between! I had that sick feeling in the pit of my stomach knowing that I was being coerced into a hospital birth due to financial restraints. 

After posting this, I did find one negative review of the midwife & birthing center that I know for sure accepts my insurance, so I am back to worrying a bit. I'm contacting some other centers as well to get all of my options. I am already halfway through my pregnancy though so I am a bit worried that everyone is going to be booked :-/

Quoting mama2gg:

Awww how awesome I'm doing a homebirth next time I'm vbac and feel more comfortable at hospital this time I've already found a midwife that I love she would take me now but I just feel comfy were I am ")

BabyFruit Ticker
mama2gg
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:27 PM

If I may ask what was the neg. review

Quoting Emilytrademark:

I think it's so important to feel comfortable with your birth plan, be it hospital, home or in-between! I had that sick feeling in the pit of my stomach knowing that I was being coerced into a hospital birth due to financial restraints. 

After posting this, I did find one negative review of the midwife & birthing center that I know for sure accepts my insurance, so I am back to worrying a bit. I'm contacting some other centers as well to get all of my options. I am already halfway through my pregnancy though so I am a bit worried that everyone is going to be booked :-/

Quoting mama2gg:

Emilytrademark
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:29 PM

The reviewer claimed that the midwife at the birthing center (I believe there is only one, it's small) told her to go home while she was having postpartum hemorrhaging despite her protests of not feeling well and losing a lot of blood, they ended up having to call 911 and apparently she had lost a threatening amount of blood. There are a ton of positive reviews as well, and I really don't want to believe the only negative one but of course it raises some concern.

Quoting mama2gg:

If I may ask what was the neg. review

Quoting Emilytrademark:

Quoting mama2gg:

BabyFruit Ticker
OMGLasersPOWPOW
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:40 PM
That's great! Our local birthing center opened AFTER I gave birth, frustrating! Glad it is available for others though. And super excited you get to experience it!
Emilytrademark
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:55 PM

That is frustrating! Fortunately, I live in the Dallas metroplex where there are some options. There are probably a dozen birthing centers around me, though many do not/are unable to take many insurance plans. It's really sad. The centers are losing business and women aren't getting the care they want and deserve. 

Maybe you can use your local birthing center if you choose to have more babies :) 

Quoting OMGLasersPOWPOW:

That's great! Our local birthing center opened AFTER I gave birth, frustrating! Glad it is available for others though. And super excited you get to experience it!

BabyFruit Ticker
louzannalady
by Group Owner on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:12 PM

Was it Special Beginnings in Grand Prairie? With.. Oh.. What is her name... Betty.... Betty... Betty Winford... I interviewed her and they scare the crap out of me! She induces with Cytotec in the birthing center and is a MEDwife. She won't accept you if you question anything, like the glucose test. I just had a water birth with the Midwives of UNT at Harris Methodist in Fort Worth in July. It was nice. If you can, try and see if Gentle Beginnings, in Hurst is covered under your insurance. They are AMAZING! Especially, Sarah Jones! : ) 

HERE is that birth story.

Quoting Emilytrademark:

That is frustrating! Fortunately, I live in the Dallas metroplex where there are some options. There are probably a dozen birthing centers around me, though many do not/are unable to take many insurance plans. It's really sad. The centers are losing business and women aren't getting the care they want and deserve. 

Maybe you can use your local birthing center if you choose to have more babies :) 

Quoting OMGLasersPOWPOW:

Emilytrademark
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:36 PM

LOL why yes it was! Do you live in the area? Thanks for the information about her- the more I look into it, the more I realize that it's not the place for me. I can't believe any midwife would use Cytotec!!

There is another birthing center in Grand Prairie I am considering. I would love to go to Gentle Beginnings since I live about 5 minutes away and they have great reviews, and tons of midwives to choose from. I contacted them about insurance acceptance and am waiting on response. I interviewed a midwife there who I didn't really connect with during my last pregnancy. My insurance was out of network with them, though I have changed policies since. I miscarried that pregnancy though so I have only gone once. 

ETA - Obviously you live in this area since you had a birth at UNT :) my brain isn't functioning properly these days. I've considered going there, too.. it's just a bit of a drive and that makes me a little nervous. I don't want to need to drive there in rush hour and be one of those women who go deliver by the side of the road lol!

Quoting louzannalady:

Was it Special Beginnings in Grand Prairie? With.. Oh.. What is her name... Betty.... Betty... Betty Winford... I interviewed her and they scare the crap out of me! She induces with Cytotec in the birthing center and is a MEDwife. She won't accept you if you question anything, like the glucose test. I just had a water birth with the Midwives of UNT at Harris Methodist in Fort Worth in July. It was nice. If you can, try and see if Gentle Beginnings, in Hurst is covered under your insurance. They are AMAZING! Especially, Sarah Jones! : ) 

Quoting Emilytrademark:

Quoting OMGLasersPOWPOW:

BabyFruit Ticker
louzannalady
by Group Owner on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:56 PM

Yeah, she gave me sass about not taking the glucose test and looked at me like a bug with ten eyes for saying I was going to do a fasting A1C instead. Then, told me she would not "let" me go beyond (I think was) 40 weeks and that she would induce me with Cytotec, because it was "safer than a hospital induction"... Yeah.. Not so much! Anyway, the Midwives of UNT have a variety of offices around the Metroplex for going to appointments, so they are easy to go to their appointments. And the drive from HEB, isn't too terrible. Especially, at night. : ) I lived in Hurst and then Euless for a number of years. Now, we are in Fort Worth. : ) If I ever have a hospital birth, again, I will go with the Midwives of UNT. 

Quoting Emilytrademark:

LOL why yes it was! Do you live in the area? Thanks for the information about her- the more I look into it, the more I realize that it's not the place for me. I can't believe any midwife would use Cytotec!!

There is another birthing center in Grand Prairie I am considering. I would love to go to Gentle Beginnings since I live about 5 minutes away and they have great reviews, and tons of midwives to choose from. I contacted them about insurance acceptance and am waiting on response. I interviewed a midwife there who I didn't really connect with during my last pregnancy. My insurance was out of network with them, though I have changed policies since. I miscarried that pregnancy though so I have only gone once. 

ETA - Obviously you live in this area since you had a birth at UNT :) my brain isn't functioning properly these days. I've considered going there, too.. it's just a bit of a drive and that makes me a little nervous. I don't want to need to drive there in rush hour and be one of those women who go deliver by the side of the road lol!

Quoting louzannalady:

Quoting Emilytrademark:

Quoting OMGLasersPOWPOW:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN