Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I wish I had known....

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:57 PM
  • 18 Replies
  • 561 Total Views
5 moms liked this
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mama2gg
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:26 PM
I have a question IF for some reason I have to ve induced (being a vbac they wont let me go past 40+2)

What's the safest induction method for me OTHER than walking, nipple stim., sex and natural methods I'm going to try as soon as I am off blood thinners.

I know sweeps may not work and can cause issues as well but is that the "safe" next step?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
louzannalady
by Group Owner on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:29 PM

It's because you really need to be on the thinners, right? That they want to have you weaned off of them for the birth, then promptly back on them, right? Humm... That depends on a lot of factors. Like, your Bishop Score. HERE is a link with a number of indution methods, that are for a hospital setting. I hope it helps! : ) 

Quoting mama2gg:

I have a question IF for some reason I have to ve induced (being a vbac they wont let me go past 40+2)

What's the safest induction method for me OTHER than walking, nipple stim., sex and natural methods I'm going to try as soon as I am off blood thinners.

I know sweeps may not work and can cause issues as well but is that the "safe" next step?

mama2gg
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:36 PM
They will stop my thinners if I start to efface or dilate I am natural anyways so the epi that I can't have isn't the worry its the reap risk of bleeding out during a vbac or god forbid I rupture and need a csection.

No I will NOT be on them after birth I am only on them FOR pregnancy ;)

Quoting louzannalady:

It's because you really need to be on the thinners, right? That they want to have you weaned off of them for the birth, then promptly back on them, right? Humm... That depends on a lot of factors. Like, your Bishop Score. HERE is a link with a number of indution methods, that are for a hospital setting. I hope it helps! : ) 

Quoting mama2gg:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
louzannalady
by Group Owner on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Cool beans! Glad that you won't be on them for the long haul! : ) 

Quoting mama2gg:

They will stop my thinners if I start to efface or dilate I am natural anyways so the epi that I can't have isn't the worry its the reap risk of bleeding out during a vbac or god forbid I rupture and need a csection.

Quoting louzannalady:

Quoting mama2gg:

mama2gg
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:55 PM
Me too a life time of shots is not something
I wish on any one

Quoting louzannalady:

Quoting mama2gg:

Quoting louzannalady:

Quoting mama2gg:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
louzannalady
by Group Owner on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:58 PM

I hear ya! 

Quoting mama2gg:

Me too a life time of shots is not something
I wish on any one

Quoting louzannalady:

Quoting mama2gg:

Quoting louzannalady:

Quoting mama2gg:

GoodyBrook
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting mama2gg:

3 weeks ago I was induced at 42.1 LMP as a VBAC, due to Gestational Hypertension.  (Why won't they "let" you go beyond 40.2?)

We began with the Foley Bulb for 12 hours, and when I was having mild contractions from it, they gave me the IV of 1/2 Pit.  (This is simply a lower dose of Pitocin that can clear out of your system faster than the full dose).   The benefits of this induction (stopping me from possibly stroking out) outweighed the risks (possible c-section needed if induction wasn't successful).

One way my midwife suggested was castor oil and stewed grapefruit, but only if I had a favorable cervix.  (This wouldn't have worked on me, as I was not even dialated or effaced at 42 weeks).

BTW:  There is a thread on VBAC Inductions over in the Cafe Mom VBAC group that you might want to check out!  Lots of helpful mamas over there, so please join us if you're not already a member of the group...  :)

mama2gg
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:58 PM
Thanks :) I can't go beyond because I'm a high risk for rupture during vbac because of a septum removal which make my uterus weak on top and bottom the longer I go the bigger she and I get the less likely they will let me vbac she WANTS me to go at 38 weeks but I'm holding off.

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Quoting mama2gg:

3 weeks ago I was induced at 42.1 LMP as a VBAC, due to Gestational Hypertension.  (Why won't they "let" you go beyond 40.2?)

We began with the Foley Bulb for 12 hours, and when I was having mild contractions from it, they gave me the IV of 1/2 Pit.  (This is simply a lower dose of Pitocin that can clear out of your system faster than the full dose).   The benefits of this induction (stopping me from possibly stroking out) outweighed the risks (possible c-section needed if induction wasn't successful).

One way my midwife suggested was castor oil and stewed grapefruit, but only if I had a favorable cervix.  (This wouldn't have worked on me, as I was not even dialated or effaced at 42 weeks).

BTW:  There is a thread on VBAC Inductions over in the Cafe Mom VBAC group that you might want to check out!  Lots of helpful mamas over there, so please join us if you're not already a member of the group...  :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GoodyBrook
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Quoting mama2gg:

Thanks :) I can't go beyond because I'm a high risk for rupture during vbac because of a septum removal which make my uterus weak on top and bottom the longer I go the bigger she and I get the less likely they will let me vbac she WANTS me to go at 38 weeks but I'm holding off.

I held off as long as I was comfortable, too.

I really wanted to go into labor naturally with my VBAC, but it became more and more risky to both me and the baby with my climbing blood pressure...  :( 

One thing I refused to allow them to do was break my water, even though the OB asked me about three times to do it.   I was deathly afraid that it would "start the clock" and I didn't want a c-section hanging over my head (more than it already was, anyway!).  They tried to tell me that breaking my water "might" make my labor go faster, but honestly I wasn't in as much of a hurry as they thought I should be  :)

If you already have a higher risk for rupture, make sure that they don't place anything on your cervix, like cytotec...  I've heard that OBs who frequently do VBAC inductions know that these cervical ripeners can cause too violent of contractions, sometimes resulting in rupture.  Unfortunately some OBs aren't familiar with VBAC inductions...

mama2gg
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:12 PM

TOTALLY! my ob is VERY anti cytotec my ob is the only one in the state that DOES vbac so she does 1-3 a WEEK lol...she has never had a rupture (and she is the one that did my uterus surgery as well so she KNOWS her work is good enough to stand up to contractions or at least feels that way)

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Quoting mama2gg:

I held off as long as I was comfortable, too.

I really wanted to go into labor naturally with my VBAC, but it became more and more risky to both me and the baby with my climbing blood pressure...  :( 

One thing I refused to allow them to do was break my water, even though the OB asked me about three times to do it.   I was deathly afraid that it would "start the clock" and I didn't want a c-section hanging over my head (more than it already was, anyway!).  They tried to tell me that breaking my water "might" make my labor go faster, but honestly I wasn't in as much of a hurry as they thought I should be  :)

If you already have a higher risk for rupture, make sure that they don't place anything on your cervix, like cytotec...  I've heard that OBs who frequently do VBAC inductions know that these cervical ripeners can cause too violent of contractions, sometimes resulting in rupture.  Unfortunately some OBs aren't familiar with VBAC inductions...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)